Wednesday, January 17, 2024

T5W#440-Top 5 Jujutsu Kaisen Characters

Recently I returned to the world of Jujutsu sorcery by binging all of the Anime megahits Second Season.  It was an experience that left me emotionally drained and highly conflicted about where the story goes from that apocalyptic cliffhanger while also leaving the fates of some of my favorite characters in the wind until we get to Season Three.  It’s hard to believe that I wasn’t into JJK when it first came out and how many tries it took to finally get me onboard.  But I am and a lot of that has to do with many of the shows characters…that aren’t Yuji or Gojo even when the story itself wants to make it all about them.  Now that I’m totally caught up with both seasons of Jujutsu Kaisen and the JJK0 Movie, it feels long overdue I do a T5W about my Top 5 Jujutsu Kaisen Characters.  I’ll do my best to refrain from spoilers incase anyone isnt up to date on what’s gone down in the story so far.
 
#5-Yuta
In many ways, I feel like Yuta should be the real main character of Jujutsu Kaisen and not Yuji.  Yuji just feels like a massive fusion of every Shonen architype in the book.  Yuta, on the other hand, has a more interesting backstory and journey to overcoming the trauma of his past.  It helps that he knows how in over his head he can be and how he strives to overcome obstacles while also backing up his fellow classmates.  His connection with his Cursed Spirit ally Rika is also tragic and moving at the same time.  It’s actually thanks to Yuta being center stage in Jujutsu Kaisen 0 that I was able to start enjoying JJK and I’m hoping he comes back to the main series in Season Three (Spoiler alert: he is and its damn good to see him again).

 
#4-Nobara
I’ll admit, I wasn’t fully onboard with Nobara during my first attempted watches of JJK.  Idk, her personality just rubbed me the wrong way.  However, getting to know her better and hear she loves to embrace being a hardened bad ass who also likes to look cute as hell, that sold me.  Nobara is a stunning leading lady who has more than proven her ability to stand alongside her upper classmen and even her teachers.  The girl even goes head to head with one of the series big bads, Mahito, and doesn’t even flinch despite knowing just how dangerous he is. Nobara is the girl everyone would love to have a shot at dating but even more so, the girl they’d love to have watching their back in battle.
 

#3-Nanami
I’ll just say it: Nanami is a better Sensei than Gojo.  This is a guy who just oozes cool whenever he walks on screen.  And his no nonsense attitude when it comes to battle, it’s unparalleled.  Nanami is a very precise and focused Sorcerer, not relying on quips and wit and just using precision and overwhelming force to take his enemies down.  He may not boast about his power like Gojo, but that doesn’t stop Nanami from cutting loose when he sees his friends in danger. Probably my favorite scene in Season Two sees Nanami coming to the aid of Nobara and Nita and going full on unstoppable Terminator on an assassin who really has it coming.  Damn straight, Nanami is not to be screwed with.
 

#2-Todo
This super muscled, idol loving giant is OP as heck but dammit if he doesnt make fist fights in JJK look awesome.  Todo’s standing in the world of Jujutsu Sorcery is legendary, with some even going so far as to say that if things really went to Hell, Todo would be one of the top three fighters to survive whatever that battle turned into.  He’s fast, he’s powerful, he’s wildly confident and he’s fiercely loyal to his friends and those he thinks of as “brothers”.   I wont lie, there was a moment during Season Two where I felt ready to stop watching because lets face it, this season is just soul crushing at times.  But then, out of nowhere, Todo showed up and my faith was instantly restored as I screamed at the screen, “WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN??!!!”  Todo is the ultimate bestie whether on the battlefield or just shooting the breeze with enlightening and hilarious conversations.
 

#1-Maki
Across all of my JJK viewings, one constant remains: I’ve loved Maki since the moment I first saw her appear and that hasn’t changed.  She rocks the school uniform for sure but I love Maki for more than just her good looks.  Her character has one of the best arcs in the show as she must overcome the scorn of her family because she cant use Cursed Energy and instead must rely on tools and weapons to even stand a chance in battle.  Maki takes this all in stride and is able to kick ass more than some of the most experienced Jujutsu Sorcerer’s in the show.  Having her as a supporting character in the JJK0 movie only makes me love her more and I adore her bond with Yuta (I know I’m not the only one who ships them).  Clearly, I’ve found other characters to root for in Jujutsu Kaisen but none have managed to beat my girl Maki for my top spot yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment