Friday, January 19, 2024

FIF#203-Pokemon Concierge

Welcome to the Pokemon Resort.  Here, Humans and Pokemon are guests alike and can enjoy a wide variety of fun and relaxing activities.  A young girl named Haru comes to the island looking to start anew after a long string of bad luck.  She doesn’t expect to find one of the most peaceful and fun places on the planet, a place that can help her shed her nervousness and embrace the most relaxing and rewarding job ever: being a Concierge of the Pokemon Resort.
 
It’s funny how long I’ve been doing this blog and I haven’t done a lot of Pokemon features.  Don’t get me wrong, I like Pokemon but my hard core interest piqued early on with Gold and Silver (also not being able to shell out or ask for a Gameboy Advance to keep going).  But the franchise is just as, if not more, massive than when it began with new games and Anime keeping things going strong.  The most recent addition to the vast Pokemon Anime pantheon is Pokemon Concierge and I’ll give it immediate cudos: It’s been a while since I’ve fallen in love with an Anime setting this quickly.  In a world as stressful as our own, I know I’m not the only one who wishes the Pokemon Resort was real.
 
The first episode sees the hyper nervous and constantly on edge Haru starting her career as a Pokemon Concierge and wow, this girl needs this place more than anyone I think.  It’s not that she isnt enamored with this little slice of paradise, it’s that she’s way too wound up to really appreciate the fact that she’s got a new gig that anyone would take without hesitation and be ready to enjoy the fun the second you step foot on the island. At only 4 short episodes long, I’m sure Haru will grow out of this shell but I think the Resort has its work cut out for her.
 
The stop motion animation caught me by surprise but I really like it.  It gives Pokemon of all kinds a more adorable vibe than ever before.  There’s a Pokemon for All Ages vibe to the look and feel of this show, easily able to hold the attention of kids while also showing a world of wonder for long time fans.  Seeing all of the stop motion Pokemon interacting with one another and with Humans in perfect harmony is a thing of beauty.  From movements to facial expressions, this is the most realistic a Pokemon world has felt since Pokemon: Detective Pikachu.  And just when you forget just how massive in scope this place is, you see a Dragonite flying over a Scooter riding Haru and you remember, it’s majestic, awesome and kind of brings a tear to your eye.
 
It's only 4 episodes long so Pokemon Concierge should be a quick breeze but I feel like the first episode did such a great job setting up the relaxing and fun qualities of the Pokemon Resort, I might wanna save this show for a rainy day.  I relate to Haru and her need to overanalyze a situation and run my mind ragged with anything.  Pokemon Concierge is the breath of fresh air needed on a bad day when you can just close your eyes and picture yourself lying on your back with the sun bathing you and a few adorable Pokemon running around and either doing their own thing or chilling with you.  Oh yeah, this place is a paradise alright and I cant wait to explore it some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment