Friday, July 15, 2022

FIF#167-xxxHolic

Kimihito Watanuki has been cursed with the ability to see Spirits, Spirits that constantly hassle him on a daily basis.  One day, while being besieged by a troublesome Spirit, Watanuki happens upon a mysterious shop run by the beautiful Yuko Ichihara.  Yuko claims to be able to grant wishes to anyone who is willing to pay the right price.  In exchange for having his curse lifted, Watanuki agrees to become a part timer at Yuuko’s shop.  This contract between them is only just the beginning as Yuko begins teaching Watanuki about the concept of inevitability.  Watanuki enters a strange new world he isn’t prepared for…one that will change his view of the real world forever.  Everything is inevitable. 
 
I remember getting into the xxxHolic (pronounced as just “Holic”) when it first came out due to it being a companion piece of sorts to CLAMP’s dimension hopping epic Tsubasa: Resevoir Chroinicle.  It wasn’t a straight up action adventure like Tsubasa but offered something very different that helped the series stand on its own while occasionally checking in with the cast from its sibling series.  I never finished the Manga but, like everyone else, I did take note when it and Tsubasa were tapped for Anime Adaptations (with any Manga its almost a given after all).  xxxHolic has been on my radar for a little bit, plenty of interest to do at least a First Impression today.  So how is the first episode?
 
The xxxHolic Manga always had a very strange visual style that entranced you and sucked you in despite it being ominous and occasionally very dark.  It’s not an easy style to replicate but Production I.G. is a studio that seems more than up to the task.  From the design of Spirits to the gorgeous design of Yuko herself, Production I.G. is pretty good at making the look and feel of xxxHolic fit right in with an Anime aesthetic.  Watanuki’s more fluid body motions are kind of weird but I chalk that up to CLAMPs general design for him.  Visually, this first episode is interesting.  Last week when I discussed how Ninja Scroll: The Series looked like a low end Studio Gonzo work rather than from Studio Madhouse, the xxxHolic Anime seems odd to be from Production I.G.  but they’ve dabbled in different artstyles and genres over the years that I can see this is totally something you’d see from them…though it gives off an Avant Garde kind of vibe like something you’d see from Studio Shaft, the guys who did Madoka Magica and the Monogatari series.
 
Character wise, Watanuki and Yuko haven’t lost that spark that made them such an engaging pair in the Manga.  Even when her words go completely over my head, I’m totally at attention when Yuko speaks and not just because she is one sexy witch.  From the first episode alone, you feel like she’s been doing whatever she’s been doing for a really long time and has seen just about all there is to see when it comes to supernatural happenings.  Her fascination, if not straight up belief, in “inevitability” will be her main driving lesson for Watanuki throughout the show, I’m sure.  Watanuki himself is fine if not quite as unique in his first appearance as say Yuko.  He whines about his trouble and slowly becomes more serious as an encounter with a girl who claims she can see what he sees takes a dark turn.  The real stand out though is the tiny mascot of xxxHolic, Mokona.  God this little guy is so adorable and I loved his travels with Watanuki to the grocery store and how excited it was to try Tamayaki….God I want one.
 
Like I said, xxxHolic has been a potential review title for me for a while, I just don’t have a copy of my own.  Plus I know there’s a Second Season and some OVAs and a Movie so I’d have to fit that in.  Who knows, maybe this will be a 2023 title cause I am curious to see what happens next with Yuko and Watanuki.  Heck, it might even get me to read the Manga again and even finish it too.  Guess I’ve got some things to look into eh?  Yuko might even call that…inevitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment