Wednesday, July 15, 2020

T5W#257-Top 5 Otakon 2012 Cosplays

2012 is one of those years of Otakon I don’t look very fondly on and it’s one of the few weekends I thought was actually well…just not great.  I don’t know if it was because 2011 set such a high bar or maybe another factor or two.  Either way, there was still plenty of time for some good old cosplay photography.  In doing my recap gathering for this weeks Top 5, I totally forgot about some of these until now.  So enjoy the latest chapter in my stroll down Otakon memory lane with my Top 5 Otakon 2012 Cosplays.

#5-The Dread Pirate Roberts (aka Wesley)
The Princess Bride is an iconic film.  It’s got a little bit of everything: adventure, romance, memorable heroes and villains and some of the best dialogue ever written for the screen. Carey Elwes’ Wesley is one of the greatest fantasy heroes of all time and in a film beloved by nerds of all walks of life, it’s awesome to see him get some time in the cosplay spotlight.  He’s even got his own little hand puppet ROUS (Rodent of Unusual Size), huh and here I didn’t think they existed.


#4-Classic Wonder Woman
Anime or general nerdom convention, it doesn’t matter.  You’ll see just as many DC or Marvel superheroes as you will Naruto or Dragon Ball Z.  Contrary to popular belief…we’re ok with that.  Case in point: this lovely cosplayer breaking out a classic Wonder Woman in the style of Linda Carter from the iconic 70’s WW TV Series was incredibly popular at Otakon and she had a ton of fans and onlookers asking for photos and a chat.  She definitely looks the part of one of comics greatest superheroines.  Linda Carter would be proud.


#3-Krillin
I actually saw this guy at Otakon 2011 but didn’t get a good photo of him.  So when I found a photo of him in my 2012 folder I had to give him a shoutout.  It’s actually kind of rare to see a full on bald Krillin at a con, or at least I haven’t seen many.  Plus, this guy was part of a breakdance crew at last years Otakon and everyone was cheering him on when he took to the floor with many shouting he could pull off Krillin’s infamous Destructo Disc…I wouldn’t put it past this guy, he looks like the genuine article just a lot taller.


#2-Bonta Kun
How the heck did this cosplayer pull this off…and how the hell did they survive in it during a Baltimore Summer?  Full Metal Panic Fumoffu is an Anime I hold near and dear to my heart and Sosuke’s mascot fighting machine is part of that reason.  This cosplay even has some of the custom features that make the suit look like Sousuke more than the average Bonta Kun (the scar, the angry eyebrows), just like in the Anime.  I’m pretty sure I even heard the Bonta Kun footstep noises as it walked along.  Oh I’m so happy I saw this one.


#1-Appa
What actually needs to be said about this one?  If you didn’t run into this amazing and adorable looking cosplay of Aang’s every lovable Flying Bison and DIDN’T want to give it a hug, something was very, very wrong with you.  Just look at him: GIVE…APPA…A…HUG!!!!  I know I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment