Wednesday, July 1, 2020

T5W#255-Top 5 Otakon 2010 Cosplays

While I’ve made my peace with it, the fact that Otakon and every other Summer convention isn’t happening this year still hurts like Hell.  Many cons are making strides to compensate with online interactive special events though, which is a plus.  For me, this whole endeavor has given me time to look back on years of amazing travels, the friends ive made during them and all of the cosplay ive seen over the last ten years.  While I’ve covered several of them on the blog already since the Anime Corners inception, I haven’t covered the cosplay ive seen before the blog went live.  So for the next few weeks, I’ll be looking at my Top 5 Otakon Cosplays from 2010-2015 (my first cosplay Top 5 for Otakon was 2016).  And we kick things off today with my Top 5 Otakon 2010 Cosplays, my favs from the very first Anime Con I ever went to.

#5-Okami
I saw a TON of furry themed cosplays and I cant imagine how these guys survived in these amazing suits in Summer Baltimore weather.  Of the collection I saw (I think there was a whole group), this Okami looked so legit.  He was so big and detailed and the mask itself looked so lifelike…frak I might as well have been looking at the real spirit wolf you could control from the fan favorite PS2 classic.


#4-Duke Devlin
In the early 2010’s Abridging was becoming huge thanks to Team Four Star’s Dragon Ball Z Abridged and LittleKuriboh’s Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series.  One of YGO’s stand out characters was the ever awesome Duke Devlin, who always had the beat of Justin Timberlake’s “Sexy Back” playing whenever he spoke.  This cosplayer basically embodied the coolness of Duke and even had a mini boombox to play Sexy Back whenever people asked to get a shot of him in action.  I feel like I should place the “Don’t look directly at Duke Devlin” joke from YGOTAS…but that would take up a lot of space, just check out the debut episode here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li_mpvip8aU


#3-Candle Jack
I doubt anyone remembers Freakazoid anymore, much less this memorable would be Movie Monster he once faced.  Candle Jack is such an obscure character that he fits right at home with the manic craziness of Freakazoid, appearing when anyone mentions his name (Candyman style) to tie people up and…that’s it.  Even he doesn’t know what to do with so many people when he abducts an entire summer camp.  That kind of hilarity always endeared the character to me, especially his delivery of “I’m gonna need more rope” when half a dozen campers scream his name.  And I got to see him cosplayed at my first Otakon?  Hell yeah.


#2-The 10th Doctor
There are a few really amazing David Tennant look alikes out there, so much so I’m sure theyre his clones.  Doctor Who was really hitting its apex in popularity in the early 2010’s so naturally, it had a place at cosplay photoshoot scenes everywhere.  I tend to teeter towards the 10th Doctor being my favorite and this guy was a genuine article.  He looked the part, was a nice guy and, as it turns out, he’s also a moderator for a popular Evangelion fan page: Eva Monkey.  This wasn’t the last time I got to see him over the years and I even got to see him sporting this awesome cosplay at panels.  You can check out the Eva Monkey homepage here for all things Evangelion related: http://www.evamonkey.com/


#1-Wing Zero Custom
Honestly, I never knew cosplaying mecha was a thing until my first Otakon.  Seeing as how Gundam Wing is such an important part of my Anime upbringing, getting to see one of my favorite Gundam mecha’s brought to life in such a cool way was unexpected.  There was an Epyon made in the same style and he looked awesome as well.  But if I had to rate my Gundams, Wing Gundam Zero Custom will always be pretty high up there.  I also like that this cosplay has a kind of SD Gundam feel to it and one of the few Gundam model kits I worked on was a Wing Gundam forever ago.  In short, I was gonna see a lot of Mecha down the line at Otakon and I’m glad this was the first one I got to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment