Wednesday, July 8, 2020

T5W#256-Top 5 Otakon 2011 Cosplays

Previously:
In lieu of no Otakon (or any other con for the foreseeable 2020 future), I’m honoring the Anime Con I call home by looking back at my first years going to Otakon and highlighting 5 of the best cosplays from all those events…like many other lists I make, it’s not easy.  It’s a blast from the past looking at the Top 5 Otakon Cosplays, 2010-2015 to be more precise.  Last week we looked at my first Otakon, Otakon 2010 (catch up here if you missed it: http://gundamanimeblog.blogspot.com/2020/07/t5w255-top-5-otakon-2010-cosplays.html).  Today we continue with probably one of the best sequels of all time.  I thought Otakon 2010 left a good impression, I’d seen nothin yet, especially when it came to the cosplay.  So how about we get to this weeks Top 5 Wednesday, my Top 5 Otakon 2011 Cosplays.

#5-Dalek
Doctor Who was still enjoying it’s time in the pop culture spotlight, arguably its highest point (the Matt Smith era from 2010-2013).  So it wasn’t out of the ordinary to see a few Doctors and their companions running around at an Anime convention.  And while it’s great to see Matt Smith’s 11th Doctor or Tom Baker’s 4th Doctor honored in the crowd, it’s a whole other thing to see that someone made their own Dalek so pristine it might as well be the real deal…if that were the case though we should be worried cause Daleks are bad news.


#4-Tom
The eternal host of Toonami, Tom was and continues to be the voice of generations, thanks in no small part to the dulcet tones of Steve Blum.  I don’t think I’ve seen too many Tom’s at Anime Conventions.  Maybe there were back in the early 2000’s when Toonami was really taking off in the Anime scene.  So it’s always nice when one version pops up.  Not sure which version this one is, it’s like his…3rd I think?  Either way, awesome to see one of the greatest hosts in television history represented at an Anime Con.


#3-Death
I think I’d only just finished my first watch of Soul Eater when I saw this.  The size of those hands is tricky enough to pull off.  But whoever made this cosplay pretty much went for scale, looking about as big as they possibly could based on how he truly looks in the show.  The face is spot on too.  But honestly, I love this little candid moment I got of Death towering over two kids: one fascinated and the other quickly holding up a blanket in terror, it’s freaking adorable.


#2-Yukishiro Enishi
The number of Rurouni Kenshin cosplays has diminished over the years and I think my first two or three Otakons might’ve been the ones where I saw the most.  Oh sure you could always glimpse a Kenshin or Kaoru and if you were lucky a Hajime Saitou.  But man, you never see any Yukishiro Enishi’s.  In the Manga, Enishi is the last of the big bads Kenshin faces, the man who also happens to be his half brother.  If I recall correctly, the guy told me I was one of the few, if only, ones who actually knew what his cosplay was.  Rurouni Kenshin is probably my favorite Manga of all time…hell yes I’d know who his character was and be willing to give it the shoutout it deserves.


#1-Yuna
I’ll level with you: there’s a reason I’ve never done a Top 5 Hottest Cosplays list on Top 5 Wednesday.  To me, it would feel wrong to do so, saying one girl is hotter in a cosplay than the other, it’s just not right as all cosplay is amazing and beautiful in their own equal way.  That being said…this Yuna is just straight up gorgeous and I remember showing my collection of pics to my friends post Otakon 2011.  One even gave me a judgmental look when I told her I didn’t get this girls number.  That smile and cosplay are a reminder of simpler times, the best times from one of the best Otakons of all time. 

HOLY CRAP!!! I totally forgot.  This Yuna, this was the first time I ever saw Jenni Hashimoto aka Mostflogged Cosplay, I actually met her in person a few years later at Katsucon, WOW!!!!  Um…yeah if you want to see more pics of this particular cosplay you can check out her Anime Cosplay Paradise Page right here:

No comments:

Post a Comment