Wednesday, October 24, 2018

T5W#167-Top 5 Katsucon 2018 Cosplays


As we’re getting close to the end of October, and therefore Halloween, I usually take this time to pay tribute to some of the amazing cosplay ive seen throughout the year.  For the first time in two years, I was able to go to both Katsucon and Otakon and gaze upon hundreds of amazing and talented cosplayers who bring hundreds of characters to life.  So I guess this is Part 1 of 2 in a way for Top 5 Wednesday.  Today ill be covering my Top 5 Katsucon 2018 cosplays.  Check back next week for Part 2, my Top 5 Otakon 2018 Cosplays. For now, onto the winter con that felt more like summer but still gave us some very cool times overall (Katsu 2018 def stands in my Top 5 Conventions now…might have to do a REDUX of that list soon).

#5-Punk Sailor Star (Rizuki)

Rizuki debuted this newest addition to her impressive Sailor Senshi lineup during the best Sailor Moon photoshoot ive been to since my first Katsucon back in 2015.  I haven’t glimpsed much of the Sailor Stars themselves due to the fact that we’ve never had their season officially released here in the US (what’s the hold up Viz?).  Still, if theyre any bit as cool as Rizuki’s custom Sailor Star look here, I know im going to enjoy them kicking ass alongside my favorite Senshi.  Rizuki put in a lot of hard work on this one and im honored I was among the many who got to see it revealed in person at this con, she’s awesome.

You can check out more of Rizuki’s cosplays here:




#4-Ms Marvel (Ms. Rae Cosplay)

By now we all know that we’re (finally) getting a Captain Marvel movie in 2019 (just a month before Avengers 4 actually).  While the first official unveiling of Brie Larson as the legendary Marvel beauty only came out a couple months back (and im confident she’ll do the role justice), seeing Ms Rae Cospaly in Carol Danvers’ classic Ms. Marvel costume is also a jaw dropper.  Im sure I wasn’t the only one wondering if she should be in the movie instead.  Wishful thinking (but still wishing all the luck in the world to Brie Larson), but still, this is the costume that made me fall for the character in the first place and man did Ms Rae rock it perfectly.

You can check out more of Ms Rae’s cosplays here:




#3-Goddess Hades (Kayley Marie Cosplay)

I’m always up for new and fun spins on classic characters.  You’d have to be a fool not to spot this particular spin and not want to get a photo.  I love how this look for Hades turned out and often think it should somehow find its way into the Disney cannon (Hell if Hades looked this cool and cute in Once Upon a Time it could have saved that poor show).  This was my first introduction to Kayley Marie Cosplay and her particular brand of awesome.  I can confidently say that this wont be the last time she appears on a Top 5 Cosplay list on my blog, no sir. 

You can check out more of Kayley Marie Cosplays work here:




#2-Will Smith Clone

Was the Fresh Prince truly among us this weekend?  Obvious answer is no but ill be honest, you’d have to really spot the difference big time.  Not sure the name of this guy but he brought two of Will Smiths roles to Katsucon (Agent J from Men in Black and Daryl Ward from Bright…btw his friend who cosplayed Daryls Orc partner from that movie deserves equal cudos cause his makeup was on point).  He was swarmed a lot by fans and photographers (me too obvs) but he was never a jerk and always super kind and friendly…are we sure he wasn’t the real Will Smith?

#1-Anastasia (Fawnina)

Fawnina (formerly MangoSirine) is an amazing cosplay talent and every Katsucon she always debuts something new and incredible.  This year, I think she topped herself.  The second I spotted her in the beautiful and iconic golden ballroom dress from Anastasia, it was like the character had stepped right from the movie and into the hallowed halls of the Gaylord Hotel.  The amount of time this mustve taken Fawnina shows in every little detail.  Equal shoutouts go to her girlfriend, who was the perfect Dimitri to match.  Im lucky and so happy I was able to get a shot of this cosplay as well as a selfie and a hug from this wonderful person who is so pro at this whole scene.

 

You can check out more of Fawnina’s cosplays here:



No comments:

Post a Comment