Wednesday, October 3, 2018

T5W#164-Top 5 Favorite Bakugo Moments from My Hero Academia Season 3 (and how they changed my view of his character)


Katsuki Bakugo has been a character I have absolutely hated since the start of My Hero Academia.  The way he belittles everyone and constantly abuses Deku…I had to wonder WTF anybody ever liked him (especially Deku who I really thought had some serious mental abuse problems that he’d put up with all of “Kaachan”’s crap).  I had even taken to calling him the “Poor Mans Vegeta”, similar tempers but Vegeta was effortlessly cool while Bakugo demanded he be seen as cool without the charm.  And then…the craziest thing happened.  It started towards the end of Season 2 but it definitely showed in Season 3.  Bakugo had actually begun to change.  Of the many characters in My Hero Academia, Bakugo has undergone the most growth and alot of it is the result of subtle developments ive refused to see…cause I just didn’t like him.  But now that Season 3 has wrapped up, I can talk about the 5 definitive moments of Season 3 that have changed my mind about this character.  No he isn’t my all time fav (he’s got legions of fans, he’s doing just fine in that department, still love Froppy and Todoroki more).  But these are my Top 5 Favorite Bakugo Moments from My Hero Academia Season 3 (and how they changed my view of his character) Wow longest Top 5 Title Ever.



#5-Trying to Cheer Up his Teammates (Episode 51-Moving into Dorms)
The aftermath of All Might’s battle with All For One left everybody shaken as the second half of Season 3 got started.  All of Class 1-A had been through the ringer and Bakugo had plenty of his own baggage being the hostage that helped set the fight in motion.  When he and his classmates reunite to move into their new dorms, there’s an air of gloom that cant be ignored…and Bakugo sees this.  In two quick but equally memorable moves, he forces Kaminari to overload his electric powers so he can look goofy and then pays Kirishima back for the night vision goggles he had to buy to help with the rescue mission.  Personally, I didn’t think Bakugo cared that much about his classmates but this wouldn’t be the last time his time as a captive would affect things going forward.


#4-Trusting Kirishima (Episode 48-Symbol of Peace)
When the time came to rescue Bakugo without fighting the villains who captured him, Deku had to make a pretty big gamble…besides the whole operation being one as a whole.  He knew that when he and his team made a move to grab Bakugo, his childhood rival would never take his hand and his help.  Who he WOULD choose a bit less hesitantly…Kirishima.  The poor guy has tried his damndest to be Bakugo’s friend, even when people are fed up with Bakugo’s attitude. So imagine my surprise when Deku’s hunch turns out to be right.  Bakugo grabs the hand of the friend and his hoisted to safety.  It’s kind of heartwarming to see Kirishima’s trust paid off…even if it came with a thank you full of Bakugo snark.


#3-Helping Solve a Mystery (Episode 58- Special Episode: Save the World with Love)
This episode was a bit of a surprise.  It took a break from the current storyline and gave us a special prequel to the My Hero Academia: Two Heroes movie that came out this past summer.  Here, Deku, Uraraka, Ida, Tsu, Todoroki and Bakugo have to work together to solve a mystery when a training exercise turns into a murder mystery (all part of a test).  Whats funny here is that, despite taking place before Season 3, Bakugo is showing more signs of cooperation here as he did in recent present day episodes.  He’s still hot headed and ready to punch something but he’s also taking in the information his teammates are gathering and drawing reasonable conclusions. 


#2-Mouthing off to the Bad Guys (Episode 46-From Iida to Midoriya)
Given his general temper and general IDGAF attitude, I was absolutely in the camp of the possibility that Bakugo might become a villain.  His talk of surpassing Deku and All Might could be seen as villainous as well as how he treated his classmates with his lone wolf/rabid dog persona.  And then the time came when Bakugo was held captive by Tomura and the League of Villains and the pitch was made for him to join the Dark Side.  Now I wouldn’t expect Bakugo to wax philosophies with the overtalkative Tomura.  But he flat out slapped Tomura’s welcoming hand away to told him to F*** Off.  And you know what, that was perfect, that fit Bakugo perfectly.  It was definitely one of Hero Aca’s best F’ Yeah moments this season.


#1-Bakugo vs Deku Confession (Episode 61-Deku vs. Kacchan, Part 2)
"Why was I the one to end All Might?" I’ll admit, I did peak at this in the manga.  But it made me want to do this list cause it floored me, shocked the crap out of me and let me speechless.  Honestly, I didn’t think Bakugo had this much emotion to share other than anger.  In a scene that will live forever as part of this shows legend, Bakugo and Deku have a late night duel in the training ground.  The more intense the fight becomes, the more Bakugo opens up and eventually reveals he feels responsible for the loss of All Mights powers, he the person who wanted to be just like All Might if not better….HOLY SHIT.  To hear Bakugo say that, with tears in his eyes…it made me want to actually help cheer him up, show him that wasn’t the case.  But leave it to Deku to confess that, despite the beatings and verbal abuse, Kaachan was the closest person to All Might he ever knew, hence why he admired him.  This whole battle was the crowning moment of Season 3 and im glad it managed to make it in there.  How will Bakugo grow from this point and will things get more civil between him and Deku?  Idk…but for once I am very interested in the future of Katsuki “Kaachan” Bakugo…congratulations universe, you win.

No comments:

Post a Comment