Friday, October 26, 2018

FIF#66-The Seven Deadly Sins


In the Kingdom of Leones, legend tells of the Seven Deadly Sins, elite warriors amongst the Holy Knights who betrayed their order.  Now wanted criminals, these seven souls have scattered across the land, never to be seen again…until now.  A desperate Princess, Elizabeth, needs their help save her Kingdom from a terrifying plot by the very Knights who are supposed to protect the Kingdom.  Her search leads her to the tavern of a bartender named Meliodas…who just so happens to be one of the famed Seven Deadly Sins himself.  Moved by Elizabeth’s pleas (and her beautiful figure), Meliodas and his talking pig companion, Hawk, embark on a quest to find Meliodas’s former comrades…before the Holy Knights or their powerful leaders find them first.

The Seven Deadly Sins is a title that’s been floating around Netflix for a long time now, I think it was one of the first to be released under their “Netflix Original” stamp.  I don’t know what I never checked it out sooner but I know this show has a pretty decent fanbase by this point.  After checking out the first couple of episodes, I can see why it has its fans.  Im just not sure if ill ever end up being one of them.

For one thing, I wasn’t grabbed by the story, the quest, or the tease of how good the Seven Deadly Sins themselves are.  It feels a lot like a case of “been there, done that” to me, so I don’t know if im just not interested or burned out a little (could be a bit of both really).  There’s also the characters that aren’t really catching my interest.  Meliodas does have his moments of badassery.  But I never found anything else to like about him.  He’s wise but could care less about much.  He’s a kind heart but he’s also a serious pervert.  He’s just…boring.  Same could kind of be said of Elizabeth too and not even a cute figure can help her out there.  The only character introduced thus far who made me smile was Hawk, the talking pig who gets the best lines and even some of the best action in the first two episodes.  Besides that, there’s nothing about Seven Deadly Sins I haven’t glimpsed at before, or seen done better even across multiple titles.  I often kept thinking of Fairy Tail and how roped in I was by the second or third episode thanks to Natsu, Happy and a better paced storyline.  Granted Seven Deadly Sins isn’t as boring or guilty of stealing from every single Shonen Anime like Black Clover (and im sure that even took a bit from Seven Deadly Sins now that I think about it).  Still, nothing was ensnaring my attention in the first two episodes, honestly it was hard to see what all the fuss is about.

Like I said, I know Seven Deadly Sins has some very committed fans and im sure this show has plenty of reason to be as beloved as it is by the community.  It’s colorful, the cast is going to appeal to a lot of people (especially the cosplay community with the outfits for Meliodas and Elizabeth), and there is some good action.  But there are a ton of other Anime I need to either check out or get ready to review and im probably excited for more of those than I am for more Seven Deadly Sins.  Maybe I’ll come back to this one later…but Im not holding my breath on it.  Sorry, this one just isn’t for me everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment