Wednesday, May 24, 2017

T5W#93-Top 5 Favorite Anime of the 2010’s (so far)


(Each decade throughout history brings about a new legion of Otaku.  While we’ve seen a huge boom in the last 20 years or so, incase you haven’t noticed I tend to go back a little further with certain titles.  My beginnings in Anime go back to the early to mid 90’s with some titles even coming from the 80’s themselves (when I first saw Voltron I never knew it was Anime in origin).  Well, now that Gundam Month Mark II is all over, it’s time for another month long event for the blog.  Only this will be exclusive to T5W.  For the next few weeks I’ll be looking at the last four decades: the 80’s, the 90’s, the 2000’s and the 2010’s so far and selecting my Top 5 Favorite Titles from each decade.)

We’ve traveled across three decades so far and now, we’re almost caught up.  The 2010’s still have time to give us more amazing titles, than they already have.  So now comes the toughest list of all…well they’ve all been tough but right here I had a list of almost 10 that I had to wither down to 5, not easy.  And what my Top 5 Favorite Anime Titles of the 2010’s (so far)?  Let’s find out.

 

#5. Free
Yeah, yeah yeah I know, I know, it’s Free.  I’ve yacked on and on about it in the past and guess what, I still stand by it.  Yes it’s easy to play the “Ship Game” with everyone (I’ve narrowed it down to Makoto and Rei are in love with Haru while Haru is in love with Rin but Sousuke is also in love with Rin and Nagisa loves Rei…think that’s everything).  But there’s a reason ive gone back and watched this show a couple of times, both seasons.  The bonds are so believable through really good writing, genuine emotion and humor and some pretty damn fine animation (Kyoto Ani can do no wrong it seems).  There’s more Free on the way this summer, including a sequel, and im definitely looking forward to seeing the boys again…and Gou, Gou’s totally cute.

 

#4. Ghost in the Shell: Arise/Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie
Another decade, another Ghost in the Shell and this may be my favorite one to date.  I know im a bit in the minority on that opinion.  But I really like this take on Motoko and the origins of Section 9.  Sure that takes away the mystery from them but I like that this show tries to humanize them a bit from the more stoic and emotionless versions we see in Stand Alone Complex (though I do enjoy that show).  Motoko is my favorite.  She’s brash, impulsive and far from the woman she is down the line and I LOVE that.  She’s flawed, makes mistakes and has to learn (something I felt wasn’t happening too much in SAC, made her feel too much like a perfectionist elitist).  Arise was solid and The New Movie was an equally strong follow up to close out that storyline.  I don’t know if we’ll see more of this anytime soon but for what I got, this was the Ghost in the Shell I always wanted to see.  Plus Motoko’s Kaneda style outfit is the hottest outfit she’s ever worn.

 

#3. Fate/Zero
It’s always risky taking on a new franchise knowing very little about it.  For Fate/Stay Night, I knew of Saber and Rin but not much else beyond their sexy character designs.  So when Fate/Zero debuted on Netflix, I decided to give it a shot and man am I glad I started here.  Unlimited Blade Works is beautiful but kind of irritating in the story department.  Fate/Zero is the total package of presentation, story, action, characters and…and GODDAMIT UFOTABLE WHY DO YOU HAVE TO MAKE EVERYTHING LOOK LIKE GOD HIMSELF CREATED YOUR PROJECTS??!!!  Ahem, sorry about that but it’s true about everything they work on (and they’re doing Fate/Stay Night: Heaven’s Feel later this year, hell yes).  Fate/Zero is about as perfect a Fate show has gotten and its almost a shame I started here.  While I have seen and enjoyed other Fate entries, they haven’t quite measured up to Fate/Zero’s success.  It even has the best Rin story-as her older self, she’s the ultimate crush but as a kid, she’s the best little sister figure.

 

#2. Himouto Umaru Chan
Who would’ve thought I’d find my spirit animal in a chibified female Otaku on every adrenaline drug known to man?  From start to finish, I could never decide whether or not I loved Umaru or hated her.  On the downside, she’s greedy, works her poor brother to death and generally cares for nothing outside her fandoms.  On the plus side…she is exactly how I kind of wish I was (only as a dude): perfect at everything but a total bad ass nerd who chugs endless Soda, munches on mountains of chips and is master of Anime, Manga and Video Games (the scene where she breaks down in horror when the wifi goes down is exactly how ive reacted a few times in real life).  Himouto Umaru Chan might not paint the greatest picture of an Otaku but damn if it isn’t hilarious, feel good entertainment.  The theme song alone is enough to brighten your day and Umaru’s adventures trying to conceal her inner self have gut bustingly funny side effects.  A second season has been announced for this one and I’m more than ready for the return of my Hamster hoody wearing heroine.

 

#1. Your Name
For months I wondered why this movie was as good as the Second Coming of Jesus (if not better if you listen to some reviews).  And now I know why…unintentional blasphemes aside.  Your Name seemingly came out of nowhere into my Anime orbit and I was finally able to see it last month when it made it’s US debut, both in Japanese and in English.  The story of two starcrossed lovers trading bodies and getting into misadventures before unexpected tragedy strikes is one I really wouldn’t like if it had been made as a live action film (which I assume is coming in the next couple of years…I know you Hollywood).  But as an Anime, Your Name hit me right in the feels, making me experience a story that spoke to me on an unexpected level.  Even seeing it a second time and knowing what was going to happen, I was still crying cause I was rooting so much for Taki and Mitsuha and getting into their drama and the world they lived in and the music and the animation and…yeah just see this movie, however you can.  There’s a reason it is the greatest thing since sliced bread right now and after you watch it…you’ll known your own reason for why that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment