Wednesday, May 17, 2017

T5W#92-Top 5 Favorite Anime of the 2000’s


(Each decade throughout history brings about a new legion of Otaku.  While we’ve seen a huge boom in the last 20 years or so, incase you haven’t noticed I tend to go back a little further with certain titles.  My beginnings in Anime go back to the early to mid 90’s with some titles even coming from the 80’s themselves (when I first saw Voltron I never knew it was Anime in origin).  Well, now that Gundam Month Mark II is all over, it’s time for another month long event for the blog.  Only this will be exclusive to T5W.  For the next few weeks I’ll be looking at the last four decades: the 80’s, the 90’s, the 2000’s and the 2010’s so far and selecting my Top 5 Favorite Titles from each decade.)

The 90’s might’ve been a golden age for me but what came afterwards?  The 00’s that’s what.  And what a glorious follow up it was.  So we continue our time travel trip with my Top 5 Favorite Anime from the 2000’s.
 

#5: Rahxephon
Was Evangelion too bleak for you?  Try some Rahxephon instead.  It bears a similar story and a cast that has many echoes to the staff of NERV.  But Rahxephon never goes beat for beat.  It goes it’s own way and makes its own successes for it.  From the souped up “Moose Gundam” to the much more likeable protagonists to the inventive mecha designs, this show has a lot of merit and tends to get lost in Eva’s shadow.  Sure Evangelion left a mark that cannot be removed from the history of Anime (nor should it be, trust me, I love Evangelion too).  But Rahxephon is a hidden gem of a title that deserves just as strong a spot right next to it.

 

#4: Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion & Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Another double whammy tie.  But like last time, these two deserve a spot together for almost the same reasons.  Code Geass came along at a time when I was actually beginning to lose a lot of interest in Anime.  But like cables to a car battery, the show jumpstarted my spark again and that Season One Finale…frak it still impresses no matter how many times I watch it.  Sure Season Two is chalk full of problems but there’s no denying the brilliance of the final arc…it’s perfect.  Gundam 00 gave me the magic I loved about Wing in a more recent (at the time) addition to the franchise and I still enjoy it, so much I still watch it annually during the summer (when I first saw it).  Lelouch, Cornelia, Setsuna, Tierria, Lockon, all characters from both shows that I adore totally.  It’s no surprise that I had to do full series reviews of both shows right here on the blog, massive undertakings that I had a blast doing.  Love them or hate them, these are two equally loveable shows ill never forget as long as I live.

 

#3: Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
I first saw Ghost in the Shell 2 mere months after it’s intial debut in Japan in 2004 (one of the first times we got brand new Anime so quickly after a Japanese release).  A lot of the existentialism goes over my head but listening to characters wax philosophy and metaphysics in Japanese is surprisingly pretty soothing.  Plus this movie gave me more of what I wanted from the first Ghost in the Shell in the action department.  Oshii also went balls to the wall on the animation, it’s miles, nay lightyears above the first film.  Even if the story never makes sense, you can always mute the TV and watch the pretty pictures…but you’d also be tuning out the serious upgrade that Kenji Kawaii gave the soundtrack.  To me, this will always be one of the greatest Anime sequels ever made, no matter what anyone thinks.

 

#2: Black Lagoon
I lucked into getting my hands on the first two seasons for a decent price.  Before I knew it after I got home, mere hours had passed and I was through all of Season One and then Season Two the following evening.  So much bloody brilliant action, some very smart, blockbuster style writing and one of the hottest Anime heroines I have ever seen (Here’s looking at you Revy).  There is hardly a time I can pop this title in for one episode and not end up watching an entire season.  The story flow is so incredible, you cant stop watching after one cliffhanger passes.  The Nazi slaughter arc in Season One is one of the most perfect arcs in any Anime and Season 2’s Vampire Twins and Greenback Jane arcs build a world that’s darker and more amazing than you’d think possible.  This isn’t just a dumb action Anime.  This is the best action Anime ever made.

 

#1: FLCL
FLCL is the greatest Anime ever made…I had that thought the very moment the final episode ended and there hasn’t been an Anime since to make me think otherwise.  Sure a strong title has come along every once in a while, like Free or Fullmetal Alchemist.  But FLCL has yet to be toppled.  This is the show that celebrates being an Anime fan with multiple art styles, multiple genres and so many references and nods mixed in with a wacky dose of zany action.  Robot battles, guitars as swords, the craziest chick in all of Anime and the most memorable eyebrows since Gundam Wing’s Dorothy Catalonia.  Newcomers to Anime might be totally lost but I wouldn’t recommend this to a fresh new Otaku. This one is for the veterans, the ones who love everything about Anime and just want to enjoy it in all of it’s bombastic, action packed, heartfelt glory.  Plus the soundtrack is good for a drive on a nice sunny day.  And no, I don’t know what FLCL means and I don’t care…make up your own definition on your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment