Friday, November 18, 2016

FIF Special Feature-Second Impression Friday Part 3


Friday’s here once again (man is this month going by really quick.  It’s like 2016 actually wants to get itself over with…no argument there).  If you’re just tuning in, for the month of November, every Friday will feature a look back at the first 26 titles ive reviewed on First Impression Friday.  Have I continued these shows, dropped them, still on the fence?  You’ll find the answers as the month goes on. 

If you’ve missed the previous episodes, you can check them out below:



Onto Part 3, starting with… 

#13-RWBY Chibi
In the wake of the really good but horrifically sad finale of Vol.3, RWBY Chibi was exactly what the fandom needed.  I kept up with this one up until the end (it’s last short was posted the week before Vol.4 kicked off).  As expected, it was very hit and miss.  Some of the jokes didn’t stick and some recurring elements went on a bit too long.  But the love was always there and Zwei was just as adorable as I expected him to be in Chibi form (HEY ROOSTER TEETH, A CHIBI ZWEI PLUSHIE PLEASE!!!!).  Overall, if you love RWBY, this mini season of adorable shorts is exactly the kind of rainy day special you need in your life.

 

#14-Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040
If I can ever get a copy of this on DVD or Blu Ray, I’d love to review it in full next year.  At a friends encouragement, I finished up this series.  Overall, not bad.  I loved most of the main characters but hated Sylia, the leader, she just annoyed the hell out of me with her mood swings of plot convenience.  The first half of the series was the stronger part for me with Monsters of the Week continuing to challenge the sexy mecha armored heroines.  The second half wasn’t as good with the city take over and the constant reminder that the villains had no idea what the hell they wanted to accomplish at the end of the day.  Loved the art, loved the soundtrack.  Faults and all, this is Cyberpunk at it’s finest (hope to get to it next year…if I go to Katsu this title will be a priority).  Oh and btw, Team Priss/Lina, those two were definitely hot for one another.

 

#15-Free! Eternal Summer
Yep I finished it and here’s my full review of the second season…written in record time, like the monday after I wrote this particular FIF: http://gundamanimeblog.blogspot.com/2016/06/free-eternal-summer-complete-second.html

 

#16-Voltron: Legendary Defender
As I said, the beginning of this one started slower than I expected.  Once the pilot was done, I had to keep going, not just cause it’s a bingable show on Netflix, but because of the creative force behind it.  Team Avatar and Korra made their creative presence felt in every character arc and outrageous reaction.  Characters grew…except Shiro but he was never my fav so I didn’t care.  Allura was more of a cute bad ass than ever and there was a twist with Pidge that I was actually ok with.  If I had to complain about anything (besides the short length) it was the final episode of Season One.  Not knowing that Season 2 would be a few months down the road (Sometime January 2017 actually), it felt like a gut punch that left more questions in the air than resolutions.  The final scene left you as lost as the Voltron Force…it just could have been stronger.  But I cant wait for Season Two.  Voltron is in good hands with this group.

 

#17-One Punch Man
After making such a huge impact on my Anime watching, both at home and at Otakon…I kind of just stopped after Episode 5.  It wasn’t from lack of interest but more of time and circumstance.  It was pretty stressful in the life of me and it was hard to find the energy to dedicate to watching One Punch Man.  So it’s my fault I never got this one done.  I still really enjoy what I saw, especially Saitama explaining how he apparently got his powers.  I def owe it to myself to finish this one up at some point. 

 

#18-Charlotte
I never continued this one sadly.  Again, much like One Punch Man, life was kicking my ass (still kind of is but not as bad).  I also wasn’t sure I wanted to handle another comedy starting premise that devolved into heart wrenching drama like the show Angel Beats that this studio did before Charlotte.  In an age of darkness (or just really rough times) I guess I just needed something a bit sunnier.  Which actually lead to…

 

#19-Gurren Lagaan
Oh this one got done, done AND DONE!!!  I kick myself for not watching it sooner.  This was the feel good Anime I needed in my life.  Even at it’s most dramatic, Gurren Lagann never took itself too seriously (something I think Martian Successor Nadesico might’ve done but ill look more into that when I review it in January).  The cast was fun, the animation was stellar, the action was HOLY CRAP loads of insane.  For a little bit, “Dumbass, who the hell do you think I am?” was my lifes mantra along with those cool theme songs.  Honestly, Gurren Lagann reminded me a lot of FLCL, right down to a sexy bad ass like Yoko standing in for Haruko.  It’s an Anime that showed me everything I love about Anime in a cute little omage package.  Much like Bubblegum Crisis, if I can get a copy of this show, id love to fit it into my 2017 review schedule…or just pray it doesn’t get taken off Netflix.  I am an honorary member of TEAM DAI GURREN and there’s nothing anyone can to do convince me otherwise.

A double dose of Fate/Stay Night Magical Girls, then more Magical Girls and…well I was on a bit of a MG stretch for a bit with these.  Anyway, a ton of shows down, seven more to go…all coming next week as we conclude this little break in the FIF line up…crap I need more articles to do for this…or do I?  I’ll let you know next week what I might be thinking.

See ya Monday for more X.

No comments:

Post a Comment