Friday, October 2, 2026

FIF#265-Stellvia

2356 A.D. Almost 200 years have passed since a phenomena from space devastated the Earth, wiping out over 10% of t’s population.  Shima Katase, born in the aftermath, longs to see the stars and sets off for the one place where her dreams can come true: the Foundation Space Station Stellvia.  But she’s arriving at a time when tensions are high as the chance of another interstellar calamity is nigh.  It soon falls to Shima and the next generation of young space fairing pilots to ensure the Earth survives into the future.
 
Stellvia is an interesting and rare case for a First Impression candidate.  I’d heard neither hide nor hair of this one though maybe I’d seen a visual in a magazine back in the day and just never paid any attention to it.  No this one is getting an episode today because a friend of mine used the opening theme in a random post and HOLY CRAP it sounds amazing.  It’s not the first time I’ve taken a chance on a show based on a banger of an opening and we’ll likely be looking at another in the same vein next week.  For right now, does Stellvia set itself up as a show worthy of such masterful vocal work from Angela (the group behind the theme song)?
 
So if I’m gathering what Stellvia is supposed to be about based on the first episode and opening visuals alone (and even then in this case, they were mostly clips from the first episode), this is supposed to be Top Gun in Space with cute Moe Girls.  Not sure why there’s a market for that but hey if Girls Und Panzer can get away with it, why not this?  Well for Girls Und Panzer, the premise is just bonkers enough to warrant further exploration, especially when the explosions happen.  Stellvia’s first episode, by comparison, is a much more dull slow burn as we watch Shima virtually inch her way to the titular space base. Why is she leaving?  Just what do you do at Stellvia?  None of this is explained.  Shima just wants to get out into space and…idk make a name for herself?  There’s even a bit of friction between Shima and her…mother or mother in law, that seems to be for show on their part, which makes no sense either.  It practically begs you to jump right into Episode 2 to find out more but the trouble with that is, I was so bored by the first episode I’m not sure I want to.
 
It doesn’t help that Stellvia feels like it’s from the same ilk as one of my least favorite Mecha Anime, Candidate for Goddess, or Pilot Candidate as it was called when aired on Adult Swim.  I don’t know if it’s the artstyle or the rookie pilots/school days aesthetic but I just got very uncertain similar vibes and I cant shake them.  Unlike Pilot Candidate, there doesn’t seem to be any kind of ticking clock or major threat against the Earth akin to the calamity that befell it almost 200 years prior.  Seriously, not that I need urgency in my first episode but a little more reason to be invested besides watching a one look moe girl sit in a chair for fifteen minutes staring at her jar of confetti candy. 
 
I guess to answer my original question: No, Stellvia does not deserve such an epic and amazing opening theme and I’m not certain I’ll carry on with any more episodes.  It’s not the best introduction with a dull lead, a lackluster world and a greater lack of reason to be invested in the plot besides cute Anime girls going into space.  As pilot episodes go, it’s pretty boring and devoid of energy.  Is this a super deep, missed gem I’m just not seeing the glimmer from?  It’s a big Anime universe, I’m sure I’ll find out one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment