Wednesday, October 25, 2023

T5W#428-Top 5 Otakon 2023 Cosplays

Previously on Top 5 Wednesday:
One of the reasons I really look forward to October here at the Gundam Anime Corner, besides choosing an appropriately scary Anime, is finally being able to talk about all of the amazing cosplays I’ve seen at the conventions I’ve been to.  True, I could always talk about these right after said Cons.  But since October is the month of Halloween when everybody likes to dress up for various trick or treating and other fun events, it just makes sense to me to share my favs here rather than back in February or July/August (depending on when Otakon is).  This year, for the first time since 2019, I got to go back to both Katsucon and Otakon. 
 
Last Wednesday, we looked at the Cosplays I enjoyed during my first Katsucon since 2020.  Today, for the second part of our Top 5 Wednesday Special, we’re jumping ahead to July 2023 and back to Washington DC to take a look at my Top 5 Otakon 2023 Cosplays.  As always, if I know any of the cosplayers on this list I’ll be sure to include links to their Instagrams if you wanna see more of their works.
 
#5-Spawn
As anyone will tell you, Anime Cons don’t just cater to Anime Cosplays.  Any an all genres and fandoms are welcome and they definitely stand up there with the best of them.  Case in point, this wickedly awesome cosplay of Todd McFarlane’s devil hero Spawn.  The helmet alone is totally legit, especially those eyes, bad ass and terrifying.  The rest of the armor is pretty cool as well and the cape certainly feels like it could do everything Spawn’s powers are known for.  Also, I’m not sure who the lady character is next to him (I called her Lady Spawn but even that feels wrong), but they are a pretty solid looking pair. 


#4-Maki (Kaysoiree Cosplay)
After years of not being able to get into it, Otakon 2023 resparked my interest in Jujutsu Kaisen and it was all thanks to one photoshoot and one friend.  The JJK Photoshoot on Saturday had such a fun energy too it, remiscent of the kind I feel at a Sailor Moon photoshoot.  Standing out in the crowd was my friend Kaysoiree, cosplaying my favorite character Maki.  But this is a different Maki than I’m used to and the cosplay could be one giant spoiler warning (I don’t think I asked so i’m still not sure what happens to her).  Still, Kay’s Maki is a total bad ass, especially with the burn makeup on the arms and on her cheek.  The short hair is very cute too.  Like I said, not sure what happens to Maki to put her in this state but thanks to Kay’s awesome work, I cant wait to see it in the Anime.
 
For more awesome work from Kaysoiree, check out her IG here: https://www.instagram.com/kay_soiree/
 

#3-Sustainer of Heavenly Principles (Relialakedaemon)
I’ve gone back and forth on whether or not to try getting into Genshin Impact because it looks cool and has a bunch of super hot characters.  My friend Relialakedaemon had been teasing a Genshin cosplay on her social media leading up to Otakon and…well I don’t know how important this Sustainer character is but dammit Reila looks like a true Goddess.  The celestial star touches on the lower back and the long flowing hair give this cosplay a very ethereal and gorgeous feel.  And while the mask is a precaution against Covid, Idk it kind of works, making the Sustainer a bit more mysterious.  I didn’t get a chance to see much of the Genshin photoshoot as it was happening at the same time as the Sailor Moon photoshoot but Reila made time to host the latter and I’m sure she stole the show participating in the former.
 
For more of Relialakedaemon’s gorgeous cosplays, check out her IG here: https://www.instagram.com/relialakedaemon/
 

#2-Mr & Mrs. Piccolo (IceFox Cosplay and Cupcake Kisses Cosplay)

Dragon Ball Z always has a huge cosplay representation at conventions.  Most of them are usually Goku, Vegeta or some other Super Saiyan. Piccolo’s can be a bit rare but a Husband/Wife dual cosplay combo is even rarer.  Enter my friend Ice Fox Cosplay and his wife Cupcake Kisses, cosplaying and OG and Femme version of Gohan’s Mentor and my third favorite character after Future Trunks and Vegeta.  These guys always go super hard on facial make up for maximum effect, no matter the character and these Piccolo’s are no exception.  I also like how Cupcake lacking a turban allows us to see Namek antennae.  The capes both look so cool too (I want one).  Honestly, these two might be some of the best DBZ cosplays I’ve ever seen, awesome work once again you guys.
 
Both IceFox and Cupecake Kisses have their own cosplay pages so be sure to check out both for more cosplay magic:
 
Ice Fox Cosplays
https://www.instagram.com/icefoxcosplay/
 
Cupcake Kisses Cosplay
https://www.instagram.com/cupcake_kisses_cosplay/
 

#1-Ghost Pokemon Trainer
Every once in a while you run across a cosplay out of nowhere that stuns the hell out of you.  For me, that cosplay is this one right here: A Pokemon Trainer with a complete Evolution collection of Ghost Pokemon, specifically Gastly, Haunter and Gengar.  I’m guessing he has to stay stationary with the stands used to hold up Gastly and Gengar there but I wonder if he could walk around with that Haunter on his shoulder.  Seriously, the craftsmanship on those Pokemon is top tier.  I know I didn’t get a ton of details about their work on the spot but when a cosplay looks this good, you can just admire it and let the mystery be.  This is a guy that trains Ghost Pokemon after all, mystery is just part of the deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment