Wednesday, October 18, 2023

T5W#427-Top 5 Katsucon 2023 Cosplays

One of the reasons I really look forward to October here at the Gundam Anime Corner, besides choosing an appropriately scary Anime, is finally being able to talk about all of the amazing cosplays I’ve seen at the conventions I’ve been to.  True, I could always talk about these right after said Cons.  But since October is the month of Halloween when everybody likes to dress up for various trick or treating and other fun events, it just makes sense to me to share my favs here rather than back in February or July/August (depending on when Otakon is).  This year, for the first time since 2019, I got to go back to both Katsucon and Otakon.  And let me tell ya, the Cosplay world still has plenty of wonders to offer at both.  So, as part of a pseudo two part Top 5 Wednesday, let’s chat Con Cosplays starting with my Top 5 Katsucon 2023 Cosplays.  As always, if I know any of the cosplayers on this list I’ll be sure to include links to their Instagrams if you wanna see more of their works.
 
#5-Ya Boi Kongming (IceFox Cosplay)
Considering Katsucon is basically a four day long party, a cosplay of the legendary Chinese tactician reincarnated as the ultimate Music Manager seems appropriate.  Enter my friend Ice Fox Cosplay who dawned this beautifully made look complete with an awesome feather fan and Star shaped party glasses.  The long thin beard also gives an air of wisdom along with the sense that this guy knows how to party.  It was fun watching Ice Fox dance around in this thing too, Kongming himself would be impressed.
 
For more of my friends Cosplay work, you can check out his IG page here: https://www.instagram.com/icefoxcosplay/
 

#4-Armored Sailor Jupiter/Ariel (Kitzo Cosplay)
I’m always on the lookout for new variations and spins on characters I love across all fandoms.  In back to back days, I ran into Kitzocosplay sporting two incredibly bad ass armored cosplays: first of Sailor Jupiter and then of Ariel from The Little Mermaid.  It’s tough to pick a favorite between these two so I’ve given the slot to both.  Kit’s Jupiter armor makes one of the strongest Senshi in Sailor Moon look tougher than ever.  And her Ariel, the hair is wild but the added Trident seals the deal for me, you can feel the power emanating from it. 
 
For more amazing work from Kit you can visit her cosplay page here:
https://www.instagram.com/kitzocosplay/
 

#3-Eternal Sailor Moon (Rizuki)
Sailor Moon continues to be a cornerstone of the Cosplay World and definitely for my friend Rizuki.  From Sailor Venus to Sailor Star Fighter, the list of Senshi she needs to appear as is being dented little by little.  But holy crap, I think she’s outdone herself with Eternal Sailor Moon here.  The wings in particular are absolutely stunning, as angelic as Usagi appears to be in her ultimate form (at least I think, I’m working on watching Sailor Stars right now so she might get another before the finale).  With this cosplay, Rizuki perfectly embodies the hope and brilliance of Usagi Tsukino as one of the best Anime Magical Girls of all time.
 
For more Rizuki Moonie Madness and other Cosplay tales, vist her page here:
https://www.instagram.com/rizuki/
 

#2-Inuyasha and Kagome (Beauty and the Beast Variants)
When my friends told me they were doing a Beauty and the Beast version of Inuyasha and Kagome from Inuyasha, I honestly didn’t know what to expect.  I had some ideas like adapting Kagome’s school girl colors to Belle’s village outfit.  Lemme tell ya, I did not expect what I saw and wow, my jaw hit the floor.  Inuyasha looks sharp as hell in that red suit and Kagome’s outfit, I’m in total awe.  Of course she’d go with the classic Ball Room Dress and I was right, you can see elements of Kagome’s usual outfit with it as well (and she’s got a Shippo bag for good measure).  This is the perfect cosplay pair right here, cosplaying an incredible Anime romance that’s a tale as old as time.
 

#1-Geisha Android (Ghost in the Shell 2017)
Full disclosure: I HATE the Live Action Ghost in the Shell.  That said, I didn’t expect to see one of the Geisha androids from the beginning of the movie ever get cosplayed.  I’ll admit, the Geisha robots, who feel like a mix of the ones from the first episode of Stand Alone Complex and the Hadalay’s from Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, look pretty neat.  The mask and silken robes are beautiful but man did I go nuts when I saw the mask opened up into the Geisha’s hacked berserker mode.  No matter how much I dislike the movie, seeing this cosplayer open up that mask will never not be cool as hell.  I guess something decent did come out of that God awful movie, cudos to this person who’s name I did not get.

No comments:

Post a Comment