Wednesday, July 26, 2023

T5W#415-Top 5 Guests Coming to Otakon 2023

It’s been a long road to get there but Otakon 2023 kicks off tomorrow, well if you’re doing Pre Reg anyway (officially it begins Friday but yeah anyway).  I am beyond psyched to return to DC once again for one of my favorite Conventions, to see good friends, thousands of cosplayers and get some much sought merch.  One thing I have noticed about 2023 in particular is that while there always are a large number of Guests in attendance, a lot of them are people I wouldn’t actually mind waiting in line to get an autograph with or just say hello to in passing.  Normally it’s maybe one or two notable names but in this case, I’ve found five.  So enjoy this epic prelude to my big weekend adventure with my Top 5 Guests Coming to Otakon 2023 and be sure to check back Next Wednesday for my Top 5 Otakon 2023 Moments as well.
 
#5-Hidetaka Tenjin
Mr. Tenjin is a bit of a legend in the Mecha Anime Community.  He’s provided the mechanical are designs for shows such as Aquarion, Hellsing and Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2205 and has been heavily involved in the Macross franchise since Macross Zero.  For me though, because I’ve been getting more into model making and figure collecting, Mr. Tenjin’s concept art for Model Kits from the Macross and Mobile Suit Gundam franchises would be something I’d love to talk to him about.  My Otakon Dealers Room wish list is mainly comprised of Gunpla anyway so he could probably give some good suggestions of his own.
 

#4-Shinji Aramaki
This Anime Director is unique in that he specializes in one particular style of Anime and has been working to improve continuously over the last couple of decades. Aramakis biggest initial splash was in 2004 with Appleseed, an entirely 3DCG Anime feature. Since then he’s become the godfather of that franchise with 2 sequels and a TV adaptation. In more recent years Aramakis been working on high profile titles like Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 and Blade Runner: Black Lotus, both of which he co directed with Stand Alone Complex creator Kenji Kamiyama. Whereas most 3D Anime can look kind of meh, Aramaki is one name you can count on the make it look gorgeous as heck
 

#3-Justin Cook
The list of voice roles for this guy includes some of the biggest and most beloved Anime of all time including Attack on Titan, Fullmetal Alchemist, Attack on Titan and Ouran High School Host Club just to name a few. For me and some very special friends, one role stands above them all: Yusuke Urameshi from Yu Yu Hakusho. I love his rough and hilarious portrayal of the high schooler turned Spirit Detective and it would be a huge win if I could get a photo with him and my friends for whom Yu Yu Hakusho means a great deal.

 
#2-AmaLee
This lovely VA rose to prominence on YouTube thanks to her incredible singing talents. Her English covers of many Anime themes from Evangelion to Fate/Stay Night to Demon Slayer are the stuff of legends. But arguably most important of all is among her very impressive voice acting credits is one for a very much beloved Anime Cosplay girl. I’m talking about the ultimate Waifu bestie Marin Kitagawa from My Dress Up Darling. AmaLees performance as Marin both excited and melts the heart at the same time and I’m sure I’d be left speechless if I ever got to meet her
 

#1-Shoji Kawamori
This announcement took me totally by surprise. How often does he come stateside for a convention?  It’s rare and might be rare enough to go for an autograph even if it costs an arm and a leg. For those not in the know Shoji Kawamori is a pioneer in the Mecha genre thanks to a little known Anime classic you might have heard of called Super Dimension Fortress Macross and several of its subsequent sequels. He’s also responsible for the match made in Heaven of Mecha and Fantasy known as The Vision of Escaflowne. Point is, Kawamori is a legend and it’s a huge honor to have Otakon host him this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment