Wednesday, August 2, 2023

T5W#416-Top 5 Otakon 2023 Moments

This past weekend, I learned how to relax again as I returned to one of my two favorite yearly conventions and the one that started it all for me, Otakon.  And despite cancellations from roommates, the heat of DC trying to kill us all and even a monsoon resulting from said heat (for like 30 minutes), it was so good to be back in the Walter E Washington Convention Center for another year of photoshoots, Dealers Room/Artist Alley pillaging and late night 18+ schenanigans.  And while next year Otakon will be celebrating it’s 30th anniversary, this year was a major milestone for me as it marked 10 years since I started meeting incredible people who I’ve come to call family more than friends for Otakon, Katsucon and Beyond.  So for those of you who didn’t attend and are wondering, this is the Top 5 Wednesday you’ve been patiently waiting for, my Top 5 Otakon 2023 Moments.
 
#5-The Macross Exhibit
2022 was a huge year for the Macross franchise as it celebrated it’s 40th Anniversary.  With word that more Macross titles will soon be arriving stateside in the next year or two, Otakon got a special treat with a kick ass Macross Exhibit at the beginning of the Dealers Room.  I couldn’t get over how cool the Valykrie statue looked and there was even a smaller display featuring several figures laid out in a full transformation sequence from fighter to guardian to robot form.  Along the outer an inner perimeters you could find detailed fact lists about pretty much every major Macross title including Macross: Do You Remember Love, Macross Plus, Macross 7, Macross Zero, Macross Frontier and Macross Delta.  There was even some love shown for the often neglected Macross II, which I thought was considered non cannon and it might be but it had a display of its own and the theme music was playing proudly as well.  It also makes sense for this exhibit to be here since the creator of Macross, Shoji Kawamori, was one of the major Guests of Honor for Otakon this year.  I wonder what he thought of this exhibit and if he got to take a look at it.
 

#4-A Long Expected Party
Like I said above, 2023 marked the 10th anniversary of when I met several people at Otakon 2013 who would become the first members of my Convention Family.  While I’ve stayed in touch with all of them over the years, life matters and Covid have prevented me from seeing several since even before the pandemic hit in 2020.  Well, 2023 would be the first time I’d seen some of these friends in 4-5 years.  And man were the reunions well worth the anticipation and wait.  Some, I was at a loss for words when only a hug would do.  Others I literally found myself running towards them top speed for an epic spinning embrace.  That’s not to say that the same kind of love wasn’t shared with any other friend I ran into this weekend. It’s so crazy how I don’t see many of these friends for over a year and yet it feels like we can easily pick up from where we left off as if no time had passed.  And, of course, there was always the possibility of getting into some crazy adventures, which we did, braving heat, storms and crowds just like the old days.  Here’s hoping it doesn’t take another 4-5 years to see some of these amazing people in my life again.  We’ve still got a lot of trouble to get up to at Otakon.

 
#3-A Gift for a Sailor Moon Shipper
A couple of times this year I found myself getting gifts for friends without thinking about it, it just turned out that way.  Probably my favorite moment came when I visited friend in Artist Alley who was a vendor and saw they had a print of Usagi Tsukino and Seiya Kou aka Sailor Moon and Sailor Star Fighter from Sailor Moon.  While I’ll finally get around to watching Sailor Moon Sailor Stars in the coming weeks, I know a few people who have a particular fondness for this pairing.  One of them happens to by my friend Rizuki, who might as well be the Queen of that Ship.  On my Vendor friends recommendation, I bought the print with one of two outcome possibilities: A. Rizuki likes it and accepts or B. She doesn’t and I’ll gladly keep it for myself.  After the Sailor Moon photoshoot I presented the print to Rizuki and she was shocked by how good the art was and was happy to take it off my hands.  Seeing her face light up seeing an unexpected gift like that was such a heck yeah moment for the weekend and I’m glad I know my friends as well as I do.  Also the artist who drew the pic was beyond excited to hear someone loved their artwork that much, bonus. 

 
#2-The First 50 Years of Hentai
It’s pretty much a prerequisite for any Anime Con that I attend at least one 18+ panel after dark.  I went to four and all but one were pretty good.  The First 50 Years of Hentai Panel topped those panels because, well after a friend of mine and I went to an 18+ panel about trains and hoping for something raunchy…we didn’t get it but this other one did in spades.  The Panelist walked us through some of the earliest and most bizarre Hentai to come out of its early existence in Japan including some very…questionable stereotypes (you’ll never look at 1001 Arabian Knights again), some Ralph Bakshi esque influence, and the 80s OVA scene providing some of the best looking animation in these not for young audience features.  Best of all, they had all the shock and gross factors I go to these panels for.  Plus I got to experience it all with a new friend and we both agreed, this is the only place in the world where you can go watch this kind of material and not be judged cause you’re watching it in a room with dozens of other degenerats.  My friend told me “I think we’re changed people after that and not for the better”.  I just replied, “The tagline for any 18+ Hentai Panel, “You think you’ve seen everything…you haven’t.””
 

#1-My Roommates
For my last few Otakons and Katsucons, I’ve roomed with a good friend who splits them between groups of friends they know to cut down on costs.  Normally I’d room with this friend so I wasn’t rooming with 100% total strangers.  Unfortunately, the morning of Otakon, this friend messaged us to reveal they had Covid and could no longer attend.  This left me very nervous about the room situation.  Naturally, I trust this friend and they are kind of picky when it comes to roommates, so they wouldn’t just group people like this together without some thought.  Low and behold, me and my roommates clicked instantly and some of the best moments from the entire weekend included going to panels with them, showing first timers around the con, visiting them in the Artist Alley if they had a booth, or just chatting back in the room when we should have all been sleeping.  Friendships like these are rare and even more rarely instantaneous.  But my one wish by weekends end is that I get to room with some of these people again or at least see them at future Otakons or Katsucons.  The family of friends I build at cons just keeps getting bigger and bigger and this newest batch is just…amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment