Wednesday, March 29, 2023

T5W#398-Top 5 Gundam Anime Corner Anniversary Reviews

Ever since I started the Gundam Anime Corner, every year when we come back around to March 31st, I always try to pick a title that is special, something worthy of being reviewed for the Anniversary of the day I started working on this epic project.  Sometimes…I choose poorly but hey it happens.  Sometimes, I have chosen my personal favorites that I know I’ll love and are worthy of a good score.  And on one occasion…I said screw it, why not.  Where exactly Free: The Final Stroke will fall on that spectrum…you’ll find out on Friday.  Today though, to celebrate the big anniversary, I’m counting down my Top 5 Gundam Anime Corner Anniversary Reviews.

 
#5-G-Saviour
Once upon a time, I did a Top 5 of the Titles I (Probably) Wont Review on the Gundam Anime Corner (http://gundamanimeblog.blogspot.com/2018/02/t5w130-top-5-titles-i-probably-wont.html).  At the top of the list was a little known Live Action Gundam feature that is best left forgotten…until I found a copy and decided that if I was going to review it, why not make it an event.  While I do think G-Saviour is a sin against the franchise, it’s still a poignant chapter in Gundam history that has to be seen at least once.  I stand by my score but do applaud the performance of Lady Une voice actress Erika Okuna and that in the final act, the main rival gets a little hammy while piloting a crappy Mobile Suit.  And to think, this is the only Gundam title that’s been an Anniversary title so far on my blog.

 
#4-Slayers: The Motion Picture
2019 was the “Year of the Slayers.”  After reviewing the first series in 2018, I dedicated the entire next year to the rest, spread out over a few months.  I remember watching the Slayers Movie a lot when I was younger and decided, since I owned it, to make it part of the event and place it at a pivotal spot, the blogs birthday.  Slayers: The Motion Picture isn’t perfect, feeling like two mini movies crunched into one.  But it’s still a fun flick, owing a lot of its success to the great banter between Lina Inverse and Naga the Serpent.  I still haven’t been able to check out the Slayers OVAs and sequel movies due to how rare they are to find but I hope to get to them as well one day.

 
#3-Golden Boy
Honestly, after my First Anniversary review, I didn’t think it would become a yearly thing.  Knowing the Second Anniversary was approaching in March 2016, I didn’t even have a title in mind I could slot in.  But then I went to Katsucon and caught a screening of an OVA I had heard about when I was younger and laughed my ass off at one single episode.  It was enough for me to hit up the Dealers Room on my last day at the con and procure a complete copy of Golden Boy.  The hijinks of Kintaro Oae are still the stuff of legends complete with Hentai esque visuals and body types, crude humor and Kintaro being the most loveable (and strangely intelligent) oaf in Anime.  It wasn’t hard to give this title a 10/10 and between this and my First Anniversary review, the bar was set pretty high early on.

 
#2-Weathering with You
After multiple years of Anniversary Reviews proving to be less than stellar, I was starting to think they were kind of cursed.  The cycle had to be broken and I decided to pin all of my hopes on the long awaited follow up to one of my all time favorite Anime films.  Thankfully, Makoto Shinkai wasn’t a one hit wonder with Your Name.  Weathering with You might not have hit the same heights but it was still a highly enjoyable and beautiful Anime film that cements Shinkai as a major player in the industry now.  It’s another fantasy filled love story that stands out from Your Name in its own way while also retaining the same quality and heart that made it a success.  Finally, I had a win in the Anniversary column.  Hopefully Heavens Feel III will continue the trend.
 

#1-FLCL
While I am a die hard Gundam fan, FLCL is my all time favorite Anime (and I cant believe I have to preface that it’s just the First Season I love…oh God did you hear we’re getting a Season 4 AND 5!!!???).  For me, FLCL isn’t just a coming of age story for its main character, it felt like a graduation ceremony for me as an Anime fan.  All the gags, references, animation styles, this is what you show students for a final exam to see how much they can identify from all the Anime they’ve seen in their lives.  Plus, FLCL is just a crap ton of fun from start to finish.  The action, the whimsy, the WTF and that legendary soundtrack, this is still a title I can pop in and learn to love all over again.  No wonder I made this my First Anniversary title.  Like I said, I set the benchmark pretty high from the get go.

No comments:

Post a Comment