Wednesday, March 22, 2023

T5W#397-Top 5 Resident Evil Games

I’ve become quite a fan of the Resident Evil games in the last couple of years.  I’ve always enjoyed them but only played an entry here or there.  With the sudden influx of new releases and ports, I’ve been able to enjoy more of the franchise than ever and come to see the enjoyment in this amazing survival horror series…so much so it’s completely lessened my enjoyment of the live action movies because of the focus on the boring Alice when there’s such an amazing cast to explore.  With my Resident Evil 4 Remake on the horizon, it’s not a bad time to make a list of my favorite experiences so far.  The list speaks for itself, these are my Top 5 Resident Evil Games.

 
#5-Resident Evil Zero
I only recently played Zero for the first time and it was quite the experience, especially coming off another entry we’ll talk about later on this list.  As the title implies, Zero takes place the day before the original Resident Evil, focusing on Bravo Team cutie Rebecca Chambers and the horrors she faces in the Arklay Mountains.  The dual protagonist system took some getting used to but it ended up being pretty neat switching back and forth between Rebecca and her partner, Billy Coen.  The opening train sequence alone was pretty amazing and it was fun to see cameos from Albert Wesker and William Birkin to set up their greater, villainous roles in later games. It’s not perfect, still not used to fixed camera angles, but RE0 isnt a bad prequel in the least.
 

#4-Resident Evil: Village
While I passed on playing Resident Evil VII, I was pretty stoked to give Village a try.  A return to a more RE4 esque setting with new enemies, more action and the mystery surrounding Chris Redfield kept me intrigued and my several trips to the Village have always been a blast in more ways than one.  While I may not be the biggest Ethan Winters fan, the journey through this decayed and winter ridden hellhole of Werewolves, Killer Dolls, the sexiest Vampirc Giantess and her equally sexy Daughters and…ugh that creepy deformed creature in Bievenito Basement.  Plus the game has so many unlockable weapons and perks that you kind of want to keep playing just to turn Ethan into a Chris Redfield level bad ass who can level Mother Miranda’s operation with a Rambo style arsenal.  Plus you’ve got that section where you can play as Chris and that section was such an awesome gift in a game that pretty much met all of my expectations.

 
#3-Resident Evil Remake
I finally got around to the very beginning of the franchise this year and man, this game hold up surprisingly well.  Like with Zero, it took me a while to get used to the fixed camera angle aspect that many hardcore fans know and love more than I do.  But RE Remake’s presentation, atmosphere and overall production value speak wonders.  You really have no idea what’s around any corner and you wanna pray you have enough ammo saved up for those forthcoming Boss Battles.  Both Chris and Jills campaigns offer something new with each playthrough and it speaks to the legacy of this game that I never get bored wandering through the halls of the Spencer Mansion and trying to remember the quickest ways to get around.  Resident Evil Remake isn’t just scary, it’s a lot of fun too.
 

#2-Resident Evil 2 Remake/Resident Evil 3 Remake
I’m tying these two together because in a way, RE3 Remake feels more like an expansion on RE2 Remake than a full game, and yet I love them both and have played the mess out of them.  Sure, RE2R is the superior of the two with a greater emphasis on survival horror and adding new updates to the classic story but I’m also a sucker for the run and gun action of RE3R (kind of how I have a soft spot for Resident Evil 5, which I’ll admit, was a contender for this list before I played Zero.).  I love mowing down bio terrors in the Hospital as Carlos as much as I love having to avoid narrow encounters with Mr. X as Leon, Claire or Ada (oh God Ada is so perfect in RE2 Remake).  So yeah, playing both of these games back to back gives you an incredible new era experience for the fall of Raccoon City.  Resident Evil 4 Remake already has its work cut out for it…and speaking of legends in video game history…
 

#1-Resident Evil 4
I mean come on, the only other games that might come close to topping anyones list are the original versions of 1 or 2 or their equally amazing Remakes.  It speaks volumes to the greatness of RE4 that it remains in such high regard almost 20 years later.  The game took the franchise to the next level with better controls, a tighter emphasis on action without losing the survival horror edge, and a fun new stand alone tale that made Resident Evil fresh and incredible again.  You can never forget the first time you clashed with the villagers in the opening scene or your first encounters with Ada in that amazing dress or the frustrating showdown with Krauser before the games climax.  Resident Evil 4 is a game I keep coming back to over and over and over again and I don’t see that changing anytime soon…unless Resident Evil 4 Remake knocks it out of the park, in which case I might be coming back to that one more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment