Wednesday, February 7, 2018

T5W#130-Top 5 Titles I (Probably) Wont Review on the Gundam Anime Corner


I try to keep an open mind about the titles I pick and choose to review here on this blog.  However, there are certain titles I see that I just cant bring myself to put in the time to do full on reviews.  Im not saying they wont get mentioned or even be part of a Top 5 (like today) or even a bonus article down the line.  Full length series reviews, however, that’s not always a garuntee.  Been thinking about this for a bit and I think I narrowed it down.  Today’s Top 5 is dedicated to the Top 5 Titles I (Probably) Wont Review on the Gundam Anime Corner (note the “Probably”, my mind could change on one or two of these but only time will tell).

 

#5-Digimon Adventure Tri

Been thinking about this title a bit lately, and watching an abridged version which is pretty funny.  But the more I think about it, and think back to the first impression I did on the first half of the first movie so long ago, the more I realize…I don’t think I’m the right guy to review this one.  As I said in my FIF feature, I did love Digimon at one point, a lot.  But those days are long behind me and I don’t know if I could rediscover that enjoyment unless I went back and rewatched all of Digimon Adventure 1 & 2.  Plus from what little I have seen…I feel like Tri is just depressing, like it’s trying to be reflective on the past while looking to the future but also robbing Digimon of the fun it had in earlier seasons.  Am I wrong?  Should I shut up cause im not a hardcore fan?  This is one of the two titles, however, I’ll say is still probable and I might wait until the entire six film series wraps up this year.  For now, I’ll stick to the abridged series…cause it is freaking hilarious.

 

#4-Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex-The Laughing Man & Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig-Individual Eleven

By this point I think I have reviewed just about every piece of Ghost in the Shell Anime there is: The movies, the entire SAC series, the SAC movie-Solid State Society, Arise and The New Movie…that’s a lot.  But there’s a reason I haven’t reviewed the two compilation OVA features that sum up the two main plots of the SAC TV series…there’s nothing new at all.  I feel like I could lump most compilation film features under this one (or make it a separate Top 5 all together) but there are exceptions.  Macross Plus: The Movie and RahXephon: The Motion Picture both contained new footage and different spins on their central plots (especially in RahXephon’s case).  The SAC OVA’s literally just splice the central plotted episodes together for almost three hours that’s the equivalent of a weekend binge…when really you could just watch Stand Alone Complex and Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig and get in all of the goodness they leave out from the occasionally superior Stand Alone episodes.

 

#3-Berserk

The nightmares ive heard about this one, the small bits ive seen, honestly I just want to sleep better at night without thinking about a Band of the Hawk slaughterfest.  Sure Berserk is a popular title, well the 90’s series anyway (no way in hell im touching the CG continuation abomination).  It’s the darkest fantasy story ive ever heard of and even with some cool action and blood all across its landscapes, I cant bring myself to check it out.  Need further proof: At a Horror themed panel at Otakon in 2016, the host held off until the very end to show everyone the infamous Eclipse scene that contains the aforementioned “slaughterfest”…I properly excused myself before it even popped up on the screen.  Call me a coward, like I said, id rather have better dreams.  Plus I learned my lesson from watching “everybody dies” before bed with The End of Evangelion (God will that fill you head with crap if you watch it after dark).

 

#2-Most Shonen Anime (Dragon Ball Z, Bleach, Naruto, One Piece etc.)
 

Shonen Anime are a very common entryway into the Anime genre.  In the 90’s it was Dragon Ball Z.  In the early 2000’s it was Naruto, Bleach and One Piece.  In the 2010’s it kind of varies (I guess Boruto and Dragon Ball Super now?).  So what do those shows and more have in common?  They are really, really, REALLY LONNNNNNNNNG!!!!  As much as id love to try reviewing Dragon Ball Z, the show is 291 episodes long.  Naruto is twice as long (not counting Boruto).  And One Piece…Dear God in Heaven that’ll probably reach 1000 episodes before it kicks the bucket…or gets to its final act, it could go either way.  I just don’t have the time to commit to such an undertaking with any of those shows.  NOW, I would do some movie marathoning if the number of films for a series was right.  I already did that with Dragon Ball Z a couple of years back, reviewing all of the films from Dead Zone to Resurrection F.  And I could definitely do the Bleach Movies since there’s only 4 of them.  The longest kind of series ive ever covered on this blog hasn’t gone above 50 or so episodes.  And that’s only if im doing a big summer project or splitting them up by series like I did with Full Metal Panic (and that ended up being in the 50 range after 3 collective seasons).  Shonen titles will def poke their heads in from time to time but never as a full length review, ever.

 

#1-G Savior

There is only one way anyone will ever get me to review the blackest mark on the Gundam Legacy.  Well no there are a couple of ways: 1. Pay me…a lot of money; 2. Buy the movie (cause I’m not buying it); 3…be a really, really, really good friend I wouldn’t mind making this kind of a sacrifice for.  This movie is bad, really bad, like Mystery Science Theater 3000 needs to parody the s*** out of t his bad.  Horrific CG, terrible Mecha designs, a non Japanese cast.  You know it’s almost a good thing the G-Savior is never called a Gundam cause it isn’t worthy of it.  Cause of trash like this we may never get a proper live action film for my favorite legendary Mobile Suit…thanks G-Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment