Wednesday, February 21, 2018

T5W#132-Top 10 Katsucon 2018 Moments

After the year of hell that was 2017, it amazes me that I even made it to Katsucon 2018.  It was a long, very difficult road filled with obstacles galore.  But I survived and made it and you know what?  It was the best Katsucon ive been to yet.  Seriously, looking back on those four days last weekend and trying to come up with 5 moments that perfectly defined it was very tough.  I almost feel like this should be a Top 10 this week instead of a Top 5…so you know what, screw it.  Because this weekend was so great, im bringing you a doubled sized T5W today.  Get ready for my Top 10 Katsucon 2018 Moments.
 

#10-The Power of Love Sing Along
It was the most random moment ever, seriously things could not have been more conviently placed for this to go down.  On my way to the Artist Alley to find a friend, I overheard a trio of girls talking about “The Power of Love”, a song from the old Sailor Moon English Dub (It’s used in the climax and credits of Sailor Moon R: The Movie-The Promise of a Rose).  And it just so happened I had that song on my ipod on a playlist.  When I showed them the song, they flipped out and asked me to play it for them.  It made their night as they got to sing the first verse and chorus of the song while it played on my ipod.  It was a good momentary distraction and it put me in a better mood than I was already in that night.  Randomness like this is the reason conventions still leave me in awe.  Even momentary bonds like these can make the weekend all the better.

 
#9-Video Game Room Wins Again
The Video Game Room admittedly felt a little lacking this year.  Many of the arcade shooters and table games were absent, replaced with more console gaming and machines that looked like they were taken right from a Japanese Arcade.  It was different but I shouldn’t act like it was a bad thing.  For all that there wasn’t, I still found fun in unexpected ways.  In fact, my travels through the Game Room this year were the most diverse yet.  I got to play Call of Duty: Advance Warfare, Mortal Kombat X, Super Smash Bros Brawl and Mario Kart on the Gamecube with different friends.  Best yet, they FINALLY got a new version of Just Dance up in the back.  I got a lot of good dance footage with my camera as well as a couple of good dance sessions in myself.  Just because a couple of key elements were missing didn’t mean the Video Game Room had lost any of its magic.

 
#8-Sailor Moon Photoshoot
The Sailor Moon Photoshoot at Katsucon 2015 has always been my gold standard when it comes to looking at Sailor Moon Photoshoots in general.  There was such an energy to it, that and the magic of being in the Gaylord Hotel for the first time.  I don’t know if I can pinpoint what made it so magical: the lighting around the Gazeebo after the sun set, the little kids stealing the show with their awesome cosplays, Rizuki rocking her awesome Punk Sailor Star Defender Cosplay and leading the pack with two other hosts.  It was just such a great time and the first time in a while I felt a Sailor Moon photoshoot measured up to 2015.

 
#7-Getting the Band Back Together
Last year, I went to Katsucon with two very good friends of mine from Otakon, Maria and Johnnie.  This year I’d be rooming with their friends Lauren and Laurence.  Of the many friendships ive gained going to Otakon all these years, these four are very special to me.  Through them id found the basis of a true convention family, one that has expanded a lot in the last 5 years since I met them.  Plus this was the first time in I think 2 years that I had seen these four all in the same spot together.  It made me cry a couple of times knowing a groups of Weeaboos had come to accepted a schmuck like me as one of their own.  Hence why, when it comes to Anime Conventions, I always default to the wisdom of Vin Diesel, “I don’t have friends, I’ve got family.”
 

#6-The 18+ Panels
Take note now: you can go to every 18+ Panel on the planet at any convention but know this…you might say “now ive seen everything” but trust me…you aint seen nothing yet.  I ended up at three late night 18+ panels this year, all with their own bit of extreme otaku naughtiness to bring to the table.  While the action and drama categories of the NSFW AMV Contest were kind of dull, the Hentai and Comedy sections, those more than made up for it and the crowd agreed.  So much lewdness, so much hilarity and audience reactions…there’s a reason I love 18+ panels, especially the Hentai ones, you never know how everyones going to react to what they see.  But then there was the panel entitled Bizarre Hentai Theater 20XX…oh God.  Sure it started 45mins late but what I saw that night pushed the limits of anything I had seen before this panel, and ive seen a lot.  “I have…seen things you people wouldn’t believe,” Rutger Hauer once said in Blade Runner.  But no matter how much you see, you should never say “now ive seen everything” cause you haven’t and there were several moments, especially in the Top 3 clips shown that made me scream “WHAT THE F***” and man…some things I just cant unsee after I see them (thankfully my stomach was intact).

 
#5-Naginata
While wandering the fountains just after the sun had set on Thursday, I met a pair of girls practicing a weapons martial art style called Naginata.  It’s a spear like style that long ago was meant for just women but has grown to accept both sexes.  The way these two spared with each other was like nothing id ever seen before and I was in total awe.  It’s very Kendo like except with staff like weapons.  I got to chat with them and even get some fight footage of their sparring.  They had a couple of events on Friday and I intended to check them out (especially after my failed attempt to get more photos of a second spar outside and I felt guilty having asked them if they could demonstrate again…so yeah that became a priority).  The Friday Demo was just as impressive with the same girls plus more of their classmates showing off their amazing moves while their Sensei gave us all a quick history of Naginata.  I wish I could have joined in one of the workshops because I was, and still am, truly interested in this fighting style.  Perhaps not taking a chance to do so might end up being one of my biggest regrets of my entire con going history
 
 
#4-The Cosplayers
One thing ive always loved about Katsucon, it’s pretty much the heart of the cosplay scene on the East Coast.  This means popular cosplayers on social media have a good chance of showing up.  Ive met some of the best and brightest through this con and I did get to see some of them again, like Fawnina formerly Mango Sirene (who bless her still remembers me and is still nice enough to chat with me a little bit and I got to meet her lovely girlfriend too, such a nice couple).  This year though I think topped this category.  Not only did I get to me a girl who is a legend in my book, Katie Cosplays (aka one of the first cosplay heroines I ever knew about) but I also got to meet Rizuki, a cosplayer I saw at Otakon 2016 but hadn’t formerly met until this year.  We kept running into each other continuously over the weekend and never once did we ever seem annoyed or tired of each others brief company.  I also got to see other cosplay greats like GC Chan, Byndo Gehk Fushicos, Megan Starbuxx, Ms. Rae Cosplay and Allan Ryde.  Meeting these girls and guys can leave me a little bit starstuck cause theyre just as amazing and important to the community as any voice actor or director.
 

#3-Thursday Night Dance

Seeing as how nothing official was going to get started until Friday, some con goers took up a small section of the Gazeebo area and kicked off a nice little dance party that went into the wee hours of the morning.  Anyone could join in.  Anyone could show off their moves.  Even yours truly got into it in his own way (see video evidence below).  It was a very different feel from the rave or the other drunken schenanigans some of the crowd would get up to later in the weekend.  This unexpected event felt like a safe, all ages kind of event that everyone could enjoy.  And they say us Weeaboo Otaku don’t know how to party.

 
#2-Talking with Steve Blum (and also meeting Mary Elizabeth McGlynn)
For those of you who don’t know, both of these voice actors are LEGENDS!!!  Steve is the immortal voice of Spike Speigel from Cowboy Bebop and Tom from Toonami, while Mary also voiced Julia on Cowboy Bebop (who is Spike’s love interest and, as fate would have it, Mary is also now Steve’s fiancée awwww), but she’s best known for being the voice of Major Motoko Kusinagi on Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.  A chance to see these two together and hear them speak?  And man are they ever so nice and humble.  Neither actor brags about their good fortune in the industry and never hesitated to talk about their struggles as well.  It inspired me to do something crazy…with minutes to spare I got to ask Steve Blum a question (I wanted to ask Mary one too but time was short).  I asked him about his final Toonami speech and if the Spike inspired final line “bang” was either written for him or added by Steve himself.  The answer was the former and he spoke highly of the Toonami writers and staff who have helped him since he stepped into the role of Tom years ago.  HOLY FRAK.  I was shaking and dumbstruck.  I even called my sister to tell her what I’d just done.  I spoke with a legend…and he is the chilliest, coolest dude ever.

 
#1-The Last Day
In a lot of ways, the last day of katsucon was going to define where this year compared to others.  Would it be as good as 2017, as meh as 2016 or as legendary as 2015?  Things ended up coming together in such an amazing way on Sunday that I cant even really describe how I felt.  I got to see all of my friends, favorite cosplayers, spend time at my favorite convention hotspots, see Your Name and ball my eyes out like a baby.  I was tired a lot during the weekend but on Sunday I felt awake and energized.  Each goodbye to a friend never felt gloomy, in fact I felt more and more hyped, like it wasn’t really goodbye.  Could it have been denial?  Maybe.  I like to think it was all about taking it all in and enjoying every last second until it was time for me to go.  Even if they were just for a few short moments, seeing my team, Rizuki, Fawnina and other friends once more made me feel like I could take on the world.  It was one of the best days ive ever had at a convention and gave me firm resolution…I will be back for Katsucon 2019…and might even try a bit harder to get back to Otakon this year too.



No comments:

Post a Comment