Wednesday, December 21, 2022

T5W#384-Top 5 Best Titles I’ve Reviewed in 2022

Well the end of 2022 is nigh and it has…well it’s been a year for me personally: a year of terror, depression, high anxiety, surprise, welcome success and signs that things are going to get better in the long run.  Through it all, I’ve continued to add to the Anime Corner’s increasingly large collection of reviews and 2022 saw me tackle shows and movies I probably wouldn’t have in the very beginning.  It was a very “girl power” heavy year with Sailor Moon and the Sailor Senshi, Bad Ass Female Replicants, Tank Driving School Girls and Bunny Girl Cosplays…and there’s more that to come in 2023.  Since I wanna do a Top 5 next week to prep for the Year of Sailor Moon I’m taking today to count down the Top 5 Best Titles I’ve Reviewed in 2022 (even though there is still a week left and a couple more reviews to go but still).  Did anyone else have a particular fav or do you agree with this list?  Feel free to shout out in the comments.  Now, onto the praising of good Anime. 
 
#5-Say, “I Love You”
This was a series review request from a good friend of mine who swore up and down I’d enjoy it and…yeah I actually did but not because of the central romance (I have issues with male lead Yamato).  No the reason this show worked so well for me was because of the lead heroine, Mei.  She begins the series as a girl who has been burned one too many times by bad friendships and believes such a concept is poisonous and unnecessary in life.  Call me a sucker for the “power of friendship” but it’s real for me and Mei comes to learn the same with every person she meets, even those who initially dislike her and end up becoming her greatest supporters.  Her romance with Makoto might be the advertised feature but Mei’s solo story is worth the watch all on its own.
 

#4-Tokyo Godfathers
Spoilers: this review hasn’t been posted yet but it will in the next couple of days.  So I wont say much here only that Satoshi Kon proved he was more than a genius of psychological Anime thrillers with this very touching and funny Christmas adventure.  His talents were taken from us far too soon and Tokyo Godfathers more than earns a spot on his near flawless resume along with Perfect Blue.

 
#3-Girls und Panzer
A bunch of cute school girls who drive tanks into combat and it’s a school sport?  This either had to be the worst concept of all time or the best and thankfully it leans towards the latter.  The tankery action scenes were hella fun and exciting and everyone involved was memorable.  From our quintet of lead heroines to the rivals they faced, each new match promised something crazy and exciting from this bizarre idea that works so well.  I especially loved the rivals and how they were played to various worldwide stereotypes (especially my tiny terror girl Katyushka).  While the Movie might’ve had a way too familiar plot, I’m looking forward to eventually returning to the world of Tankery to hang out with Mio and the girls of Ooari High School once again.

 
#2-Jujutsu Kaisen 0
The was probably the biggest surprise of the year for me, in one that saw me reviewing a lot of unusual titles.  Everyone who’s surprised I’m not a big JJK fan got a shock when I discovered the prequel movie wasn’t bad, in fact it was kind of awesome.  JJK0 is everything I’ve wanted from the TV Series, basically a focus on the much more fun and less generic supporting cast and a lead character who isn’t another Naruto/Ichigo knock off.  I really hope that JJK Season Two doesn’t open with a TV Adaptation of this movie because on of Zero’s strengths is that while it plays like a mini arc, it still feels like an epic event that deserves to be seen as a motion picture instead of a 5 episode TV run.  Hopefully if Yuta gets more involved in the show I might be willing to give it another shot.
 

#1-Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
Come because of the misleading title but stay for everything else because this might be one of the greatest Anime ever made.  Bunny Girl Senpai isn’t just another gorgeous school centric slice of life with gorgeous girls.  It’s a clever commentary on the troubles and pratfalls of adolescence with more than a hint of Twin Peaks level weirdness included because Anime.  Mai Sakurajima might rightfully be the poster Goddess for this series and earns her status as one of the best waifus in all of Anime, but Sakuta deserves equal praise for being the hero everyone can count on even if its not on his to do list everyday and has a very distracting deadpan delivery of creepy perverted thoughts.  Good writing, amazing characters, KyoAni level animation, Bunny Girl Senpai just rocked on all levels and I cant wait to see if the sequel film: Rascal Does Not Dream of a Dreaming Girl, can carry on the same level of excellence when I review it in February 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment