Wednesday, April 13, 2022

T5W#348-Top 5 Reasons Why it’s Ok to not be into Every Popular Anime Fandom

So, time to be real for a minute: I cant get into Jujutsu Kaisen.  It’s the hottest title on the market right now and everyone has been telling me I’d like it. I watched the first episode for a First Impression back in 2020…and didn’t think it was anything special until the end.  About a year later, I tried to watch more of it while also watching Rising of the Shield Hero to see which I’d stick with the longest…I cut off Jujutsu Kaisen at Episode 8 and carried on with Shield Hero to the end.  After Jujutsu Kaisen 0 mad bank at the box office, I tried again…and I am just…not…feeling it.  It’s both driven me up a wall and also made me kind of depressed and has made me wonder if new Anime just cant grab me anymore.  The more I think about it though…that’s not true.  New Anime can grab me, it just has to be the right title at the right time.  Jujutsu Kaisen might be at the top of the Anime pyramid right now but that doesn’t mean I have to watch it or like it.  I can respect it sure but I don’t think I’m losing anything by not chatting about it like everyone else.  It was enough to make me think about this for today’s Top 5 Wednesday.  Jujutsu Kaisen isn’t the first series I’ve had this conundrum with and it probably wont be the last…and that’s o.  Because I have 5 Reasons Why it’s Ok to not be into Every Popular Anime Fandom.  And that was a really long intro so let’s get to it.

 
#5-Your List
Everyone has “A List.”  Whether it’s one they’ve written down of have starred on MyAnimeList, the moment someone gets into Anime, theyre going to have a list of shows that they want to check out and that list is gonna grow bigger and bigger really quick.  At some point, you might not have time to commit to the latest shows or you’ll lose track of older titles you wanted to see in favor of others.  I’ve done this several times with the Gundam Anime Corner, scheduling titles and thinking theyre locked in until another I’ve really wanted to see comes along and I have to do some schedule shuffling.  You might get to the next big thing in time…it just might have to come after you’ve cleared your massive list a bit.

 
#4-The Seasonal Anime Rush
Watching Anime has changed in the last couple of decades.  Being its such a hot commodity world wide, we’re now getting dozens upon dozens of new titles every season.  There’s a slim chance one of those newbies will become the biggest hit of the season or even the year.  While that could narrow down your watching options, chances are there’s something everyone isn’t talking about that’s caught your fancy more than the next big deal.  Don’t look at this as a bad thing.  More Anime than ever is always a good thing.  And thanks to the Seasonal Anime Rush, there’s something for just about everyone now.

 
#3-Everyone’s Different
It’s the biggest thrill ever to meet someone who loves Anime just as much as you do.  You can bond over a love of Gundam Wing and Ghost in the Shell, but what if theyre not into Your Name or Demon Slayer as much as you are?  That’s perfectly ok.  No two people are the same and neither are their interests and passions.  What matters is the friendship you generally make.  I know a lot of people who like Jujutsu Kaisen who are really good friends and have recommended it to me numerous times.  I’ve tried, it didn’t work.  I’m not disliking their tastes or saying they don’t know me at all.  It’s just a show that isn’t for me at the moment.  Friendships are still intact, trust me.

 
#2-It Just Might Not Be For You
My most common criticism of Jujutsu Kaisen is that it feels very familiar.  I can see Naruto (three man team, Gojo is Kakashi Sensei, Main character has a demon inside them), Yu Yu Hakusho (Supernatural investigations) and Bleach (Over powered bad asses fighting demons) and honestly, Yuji looks like a mismash of several Shonen Anime protagonist from Naruto to Ichigo to Natsu from Fairy Tail.  On the other hand, I look at Demon Slayer and see the bond between Tanjiro and Nezuko being the best sibling story since the Elric brothers in Fullmetal Alchemsit, and My Hero Academia is showing the best of superheroes better than Marvel or DC Comics (mostly DC).  It took talking with a friend about it to accept that Jujustu Kaisen just might not be for me.  I don’t call that a huge loss, again I wont ever throw shade at anyone for liking it.  It's not a terrible show by any means and if it’s found its popular footing, all more power to it.  It just isn’t my priority right now. 
 

#1-You Should Never Force It
There’s always that common anxiety that just because you aren’t in the know or aren’t into the big show of the moment, you’re going to get left behind or your going to lose friendships over it.  So maybe you try to push through a show just to get through it just to stay up to date and find yourself feeling kind of miserable cause youre not enjoying yourself.  I do this on occasion for reviews and trust me, it sucks (though the entertaining reviews are worth it in the end).  Again, Friends might be a bit let down that you aren’t into a show they like but it’s not the end of the world or the friendship.  Everything comes in its time, including this big fandom.  The fever pitch of its popularity might be gone by the time you sit down and binge the first season…but that’s ok.  Tl;dr…do it your way and in your time Dear Readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment