Wednesday, January 15, 2020

T5W#231-Top 5 Animore 2020 Cosplays



While Otakon is thriving at its new home in Washington D.C., it’s departure from Baltimore left a pretty sizeable that has yet to be filled.  Smaller conventions have tried to step up and if there’s one that I think…more really, really hope, can pick up where Otakon left off in Baltimore, it’s Animore.  This year marked the 5th turn of the “Little Convention that Could”, as ive called it.  It’s still small and I wish it would focus on expansion but that’s not what I’m here to talk about today.  I’m here to talk about the cosplays I saw cause wow, even for a small con, everyone brought their A Game.  It goes to show that tiny cons like Animore or larger cons like Otakon or Katsucon, cosplay greatness can be found everywhere.  Normally I’d save a list like this for October for the Halloween season but this week I’ll make an exception.  So I present to you, today’s Top 5 Wednesday, my Top 5 Animore 2020 Cosplays.

#5-Princess Daisy
I’m a sucker for epic ballgowns like these because I can only imagine the time and effort that goes into making them.  Those who work on a lot of Disney Princess cosplays like Belle or Cinderella know this. It’s crazy accurate how some creators can be and this Princess Daisy cosplay fits that bill.  She looks like she stepped right of a Mario game from the Video Game Room to visit the convention itself.


#4-Sango
I’m starting to see less and less Inuyasha cosplays at conventions and that’s kind of sad.  Inuyasha’s Feudal Era aesthetic is a costume designers dream come true and I can see why it was so popular in the cosplay crowd back in its heyday.  So it’s good to see an old favorite getting some time on the cosplay scene even in 2020.  This Sango cosplay is truly legit, a great replica of the cute demon slayers kick ass costume.  I wish I’d asked her just how long it took her to make the boomerang, I’m always impressed when people can pull off ginormous weapons like this.


#3-Cyborg 009
Speaking of the old school, when’s the last time anyone ever saw Cyborg 009 at an Anime Convention?  It’s like once in a blue moon.  Seeing one is rare, two is even more of an impossibility.  Low and behold, at a still kind of low key convention in Baltimore, this awesome pair of Cyborgs from the golden era appeared and damn they look awesome.  I wonder if I’ll ever see a full…I wanna say 12(?)…a full group of Cyborg 009 cast one day at a convention.  I was never the biggest fan but still, seeing them irl like this is something else.


#2-Yumeko Jabami
I know, I see a ton of Yumeko’s and I have a soft spot for them because I’m a big Yumeko fan.  This cosplay is on here for a more lengthy reason.  Despite the love and support of the bulk of the Cosplay community, there are those who are still stuck in a mindset of the 1920s…where if you don’t look like a certain character, you shouldn’t cosplay them.  If you’re not the right size, figure or skin tone, don’t even bother and that whole notion makes me sick.  It doesn’t matter who you are, if you wanna cosplay someone, cosplay them and enjoy the fun you have playing them for a day.  This very nice girl cosplaying Hyakkoyu Academy’s crazy gambling goddess nails Yumeko’s look and her pose exudes all of Yumeko’s greatness.  She’s probably one of the best Yumeko cosplays ive ever seen…fight me naysayers.


#1-Suneater
My Hero Academia continues to dominate the cosplay scene about as much as DC and Marvel.  How can it not?  All of those costumes are so elaborate and so cool, especially if you can master showing off the heroes Quirks in addition.  How did it not dawn on me that the moment Tamaki Amajiki showed off his “Manifest” ability and took on the qualities of an Eagle and a Squid that everyone wasn’t going to jump on this challenge?  Low and behold, here we have it.  The wings, the tentacles, the hair.  I can see UA’s “Big Three” being cosplayed to no end this year now that they’ve taken center stage with Deku in Season 4.  And this Suneater cosplay here is a good kickstart to that cosplay trend this year.  Well done dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment