Friday, January 24, 2020

FIF#108-Initial D: First Stage


High School student Takumi earns a living making deliveries for his fathers Tofu’s shop.  This has also made him into one of the best under the radar drift races in the region.  Although he doesn’t think much of his talents, Takumis skills are getting attention.  Some of the best drifters around from the best gangs are coming to town to challenge Takumi and defeat him.  On the slopes of the steepest mountains, the best of the best come to claim the title of best Drifter…and soon Takumi finds he wants that title too and will put any challenges to the test. 

So…little confession to make: I like The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift.  Yeah I know it’s the least popular in that series but dammit, I cant help but enjoy myself everytime I watch it.  The races are some of the best, I love the Tokyo setting, and I don’t mind most of the characters either.  Why start this First Impression with that little nugget of trivia?  It’s because I think the art of drifting is both cool and fascinating.  It’s probably why I like Tokyo Drift so much cause it focuses on that unique style of driving.  It’s also why an Anime about drifting would interest me a little, like Initial D.  After the first episode though…I don’t feel so sure.

The premiere of Initial D: First Stage shows off everything the Initial D franchise is known for: CG Cars and races and a killer soundtrack and both must be seen and heard to be believed.  I went back and forth with the CG in the episode.  On the one hand, it looks like it came from the same US studio that did Beast Wars: Transformers or a demo for a Playstation 1 tie in video game (of which im sure there were a few).  But I can also see how charming that visual aspect is and why it is the most memorable part of the franchise.  They definitely look better compared to the character designs which are…to me kind of hideous.  There wasn’t even a character who really grabbed me as a fav in the first episode.  Least of the favs is main character Takumi, who doesn’t truly grasp how awesome of a gift he has for drifting and he just acts like a direction less slacker.  It irritates me that’s all.

The other reason the CG Car Races appealed to me (and im sure to others as well) is this legendary soundtrack they’re all paired with.  This techno/dance…hell lets just call it Dance Dance Revolution hybrid of sounds and beats just gets you in the mood to race or kick some ass…while racing.  The opening theme “Around the World” is one of the best ive heard in an Anime series in a really long time.  Honestly, even if the show itself isn’t able to grab me, the small demo disc of music could definitely incentivize me to track down the OST to jam out to while driving…or playing a video game (if it has a sub par soundtrack).

I know Initial D is hugely popular in Japan, with several TV and Movie sequels and, naturally, an Arcade racing game.  And while the cars look cool and the soundtrack is amazing, im not quite sold on the lead hero or the character designs of his supporting cast.  Maybe I’m being too hard on that aspect, maybe I could give the show a couple more episodes to grab me.  It’s also going to depend on if I have time to dedicated to several seasons and a couple movies worth of material to get the complete experience.  If you’re a bigger sports car fanatic than I am (and chances are you might be) then Initial D might just be the thrill ride you’re looking for.  Feel the need for speed and get ready to drive fast and furious (ok I can go into exile now for that terrible joke).

No comments:

Post a Comment