I’ve been noticing a pattern with the Cons I go to over
the last few years. There’s an old
notion among the Star Trek community that, for a long time anyway, the even
number movies were the best ones (Star Trek II, IV, VI, First Contact), and the
odd ones were either “Meh” or just plain bad (Star Trek III, V, Generations, Insurrection). I bring this up cause I feel like the odd number
Otakon years have been amazing while the even years are either “Ok”, “Not as
good as the previous year” or sometimes straight up bad. Otakon 2026 falls into the middle of that
bunch. I had a great time overall and
was happy to be there. It just didn’t quite
hit the same heights as 2025 and there was some hotel drama that’s probably
circling the message boards too. Me
personally, this one maybe isnt in my Top 5 Best Otakons ever HOWEVER there
were some of the best moments from any Otakon I’ve ever been to that came from
it. Alright enough yakking. Time for Top 5 Wednesdays annual Otakon After
Action with my Top 5 Otakon 2026 Moments.
There are always two things I make it a point to attend
at any Otakon: the Sailor Moon Photoshoot and at least one 18+ Panel. This years offerings kind of went hand in
hand considering the topics. One was an
examination of Anime heroines and their certain assets across time from the 80s
to the present while the other took a look at historic figures and vehicles
from Japanese history and how Anime found ways to hentai-fy them (mostly
through Fate GO). I loved both of these
panels thanks to their mix of revisiting some of the classic legendary beauties
that define my Anime childhood and everyones reactions to the lewd material you
can get out of them. Seriously, you take
a chance on the right 18+ panel, you’ll never walk away disappointed.
My cosplay fam always loves doing group projects together
and they always fall around a theme of Maids or the color Pink. Those are later in the weekend though. For Thursday we got some good old fashioned
Jujutsu Kaisen cosplay action and it was a nice way to cap off the first
evening of the convention. From
unoccupied sections of the first floor to getting photos outside with a nice evening
breeze, the laughs were genuine and the ideas just kept coming with how silly
we could make it all be. My legs paid
the price in mosquito bites for the rest of the weekend but yeah, it was worth
it.
Remember that Gundam Group I met during that surprise
Gundam Wing shoot back at Katsucon 2025?
Well I lucked into reuniting with some of them this year and it felt so good
to reconnect. Best of all, the Video
Game Hall had more than a few Gundam offerings including a Mobile Suit Cockpit
Simulator game. Since the line for that
game was too long due to popularity (and I had an 18+ Panel to get to) we opted
for a couple other games instead: Gundam Extreme VS. 2 and a 16bit Mobile Suit
Gundam 0079 fighting game similar to Gundam Wing: Endless Duel. The latter game was much more fun since we
had to determine if having control of a Gundam gave you a true edge over a
standard grunt suit. This was great,
especially being able to enjoy it with fun loving Gundam nerds like me.
There’s a very good chance whenever I go to a Sailor Moon
Photoshoot, it’s 75% certain to end up on one of these lists. So what made this one so special? Well three things: The hosts-Rizuki and
Relialakedaemon and their fellow hosts were back in action even though some of
them had been out of the game for a little bit; the crowd, which wasn’t big was
still full of energy and the more young ones that join in the fun shows how
much Sailor Moon is inspiring the next generation; and then there was a friend
of mine who I spent most of Friday with who’s biggest wish from her day trip
was to attend the Photoshoot since she’s a massive Sailor Moon fan. Clearly, the Pretty Guardian in a Sailor Suit
is still bringing people together and it’s always beautiful to me when friends
old and new and from different circles can meet because of their love for her.
As always you can check out Rizuki and Relialakedaemon’s
cosplay adventures here:
This year I tried taking a very different mental approach
to the convention. Whenever I felt
stressed about missing out on a chance to hang out with friends or track down a
Dealers Room or Artist Alley vendor I saw but lost track of, I decided to take
a step back and follow the advice from both a good friend of mine and from
Christopher Nolan’s The Odyssey. I gave
myself up to the wave and let it take me where I was meant to go. It actually was pretty calming and enjoyable
just going with the flow and eventually finding myself arriving at my intended
destinations without even looking. Heck,
I even ran into a bunch of familiar faces along the way. Otakon is an adventure and sometimes letting
the flow of the water take the reigns for a bit can lead to some of the weekends
best moments (also totally had that kick ass trailer playing in my head when I
went into the mindset, if you haven’t seen The Odyssey yet (somehow) go see it
already. Until Dune 3 and Godzilla Minus
Zero come out it’s the best movie of 2026 so far…sorry got carried away there.)


No comments:
Post a Comment