In a future where the line between humanity and
cybernetics is become more blurred with each passing day, a new kind of terror
is born. Those with the ability to enter
any facility, hack any network, corrupt any individual with one keyboard
stroke. That’s where they come in. They’re Public Security Section 9, a rag tag
group of mercenaries and hackers led by the beautiful Major Motoko
Kusinagi. Their methods and attitude may
be unorthodox and borderline crazy. But
for this new breed of cybercriminal menacing the net, they’re the right vaccine
for the job.
Whenever a new Ghost in the Shell project is greenlit,
it’s got my immediate attention.
But
nothing, maybe save for the first trailer for the Live Action Film, got me more
excited than the announcement in 2024 that not only was a new GitS on the way,
it would be a direct adaptation of the original Manga by Shirow Masamune.
That comes with it’s own share of challenges,
mostly because the Manga has a much more laid back attitude to Section 9’s
adventures and a very lazy but loveable version of Motoko Kusinagi.
Would fans who’ve never read the Manga and
know GitS mainly through the far more serious Animes of the past be up for
it?
As a Manga reader, I was hyped and I
knew that once First Impression Fridays started back up, it had to kick off the
new season.
So...how is it?
Well for starters, and surprise to no one, the show is
gorgeous.
Studio Saru, the minds behind
Scott Pilgrim Takes Off, make The Ghost in the Shell look as good as any
Production I.G. iteration that’s come before.
And the goofball energy they brought to Scott Pilgrim is perfect for
this take on Motoko and her cohorts.
I
will say that maybe they’re being a bit too faithful to the Mangas style of
presentation.
There’s a lot of text
flashed on the screen (and run at a million miles a minute with subtitles) and
little boxes pop up at points to explain certain terminologies, which works for
a comic book but maybe not so much an Anime.
Points to Saru for trying to be as true to the source as possible but
maybe don’t be 100% true.
Of the first two episodes, Episode 1 is decent but maybe
not the best starting point.
Episode 2,
however, is classic GitS.
This is mainly
because Episode 1 is a test run for Motoko and her cohorts before Section 9 is
officially formed.
Meanwhile Episode 2
has them in full Section 9 mode, doing what they’ve always done in a brand new
style.
It might also help that they’re
tackling a story arc covered in the original 1995 Mamoru Oshii masterpiece so
familiarity helps too.
Besides that, I’m
loving this take on Section 9.
Batou’s
more happy go lucky.
Ishikawa’s a
continuous grump and Togusa is the hapless rookie always getting KO’d.
And then there’s Motoko.
Is it wrong to say this might be the best
looking version of her in any GitS?
There’s a strong argument for that, especially when paired with her more
flirtatious, lazy and fun loving personality.
This is a Major that groans over paychecks, pervy coworkers and having
her (very hot) vacations ruined by work.
In short: This is the fun Major Kusinagi and she’s instantly
loveable.
And in truth if she didn’t
work, I don’t think this take on the show would either.
Do I even need to say it?
I mean, good or bad, I’d be sticking with The Ghost in the Shell out of
dedication to the franchise and with the intent to review it for the blog at
some point (maybe in 2027?).
Studio Saru
might be adhering to close to the source sometimes but they’ve still brought it
from pages to screen roaring and ready.
I really hope Anime fans give it a chance because the sudden shift in
tone from previous entries like Stand Alone Complex could be a turn off.
I say watch through Episode 2 cause if the
familiar beats from the Manga and ’95 film don’t sell you, maybe it’s not for
you.
For me, this is the Ghost in the
Shell I’ve been waiting for and I’m so ready for more.

No comments:
Post a Comment