Hikaru Gero is the best assassin of the Poison Clan. When he learns his sister may be forced to
give up her love life to sire an heir to the clan, Gero selflessly offers to
take her place. Now all he has to do is
find the perfect partner to marry and for a guy who is good at killing but is
bad at small talk, that might be a problem.
Thankfully, Gero just spared an intended target named Mei Kinosaki, who
just so happens to be an expert cross dressing Marriage Swindler. Under Mei’s tutelage, Gero undertakes a
mission more dangerous and difficult than any target he’s ever faced…the world
of dating.
This is one of those times where I was looking for First
Impression suggestions and this just so happened to be the first thing that
popped up on Crunchyroll.
With a title
that nifty and a visual card of the two cool and cute looking leads, something
like Marriagetoxin is bound to attract some curiosity: case in point my
own.
And, as it just so happens, the
show has a unique and funny enough premise it could possibly make a name for
itself, maybe even be the big Shonen to watch out for in 2026.
Given how gloomy Gero looks at first glance, I’m glad the
show takes advantage of his awkward social skills, highlighting them as much as
they do his clever skillset as a poison master.
His dreams of his ideal romantic partner and botching multiple speed
dating sessions provide some of the biggest laughs of the first episode.
That’s not to say he doesn’t come off as
scary.
After all, Gero is a killer and
the way he almost lets Mei die is pretty chilling.
Still, nice to know there’s a socially
paralyzed softie under the menacing glasses.
Mei has plenty of potential to be fun especially with their subterfuge
and apparent ability to seduce as both man and woman.
In their female form, Mei’s design kind of
reminds me of Marin Kitagawa a little and I wonder if that’s intentional given
the dress up angle.
Gero and Mei bounce
pretty well off of each other and that can only get better the more we get into
Gero’s quest to find the love of his life.
I feel like I say this about most studios these days but
hot damn even Bones doesn’t seem to be taking a break after finishing off My
Hero Academia and still chugging away at Gachiakuta.
Marriagetoxin benefits from their years of
Shonen action experience with the fight scenes and that hilariously well done
car chase…is it a car chase if Gero is going full T-1000 running after the
car?
Either way, there’s as much action
as there is humor here, making it feel like a nice alternative to Spy X Family
during its break period.
NGL though I
think I like Gero more than Loid cause Gero actually wants to grow as a
character whereas I feel Loid’s been pretty stagnant in Spy X Family but that’s
a discussion for another time.
I know that this is one being heavily advertised at Anime
Expo this year and…well who knows if its worth that amount of hype but
Marriagetoxin is a pretty fun watch nonetheless.
The premise is clever, the lead is a fun mix
of awkward but scarily efficient and it’s got a nice energy to it thanks to the
action and charming leads.
Def might
return to this one here and there…though can they really drag out this premise
for multiple seasons?
Time will tell I
guess, go get em Gero.

No comments:
Post a Comment