Wednesday, February 8, 2023

T5W#191-Top 5 Gunpla I’ve Built (So Far)

Since my last Otakon, I’ve been steadily getting back into regularly working on a core component of being a Gundam fan I haven’t really embraced: building Gunpla.  Actually, I shouldn’t say I’ve been steadily doing this.  I’ve been diving in head first and gathering as many new models as I’ve been able to from local shops and stores that happen to sell them.  I’ve amassed quite a collection in the last 7 months and with Katsucon on the horizon, I’m definitely planning on bringing more home to assemble.  You could call this me catching up on lost time with Gunpla, a new calming activity for dealing with mental health or finding a hobby that brings me closer to my Dad (who did some train model work here and there).  Anyway, like I said, the collection has grown and today I’m gonna highlight some of my personal favorites.  These are the Top 5 Gunpla I’ve Built (So Far).  Hope you don’t mind the photo quality, I need to add making a proper staging are to my list of 2023 objectives.
 
#5-The O
Unless you order them off of Amazon or Rightstuf, the only Gundam Model Kits I’ve seen readily available in most stores are those under the Gundam Breaker Battleogue banner (more on those in a moment).  So it caught me by surprise when I found not just a non GBB model but a model from a Gundam series that hasn’t gotten nearly as much attention in the States.  The O is the Mobile Suit piloted by Paptimus Scirroco in the series finale of Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam.  Much like how intricate it looks in the Anime, this one was a joyous pain to work on.  There are so many internal parts that aren’t shown in the finished model due to all the armor on the outside, making me wonder why it was this needlessly complex.  But still, getting those four arms with Beam Sabers to work was such a reward.  The O really is an awesome Mobile Suit and I’m glad it’s on my shelf.
 

#4-Gundam Livelance Heaven
The Gundam Breaker Battleogue Gundams are essentially custom hybrids of Gundams from across the entire franchise: one being the central base before incorporating elements from others.  In this case, this gorgeous looking suit is a dead ringer for everyones favorite Gundam Wing Mobile Suit, the Gundam Deathscythe Hell.  Ever since I first saw this one on the shelf, I wanted to build it.  The Livelance Heaven lives up to its title by looking so freaking divine in the right light.  The Lance itself is surprisingly well balanced too.  I cant help but look at it and chuckle over the many nicknames I’ve given this model, including Angel Deathscythe and Angemon Gundam.  Whatever the name, it looks gloriously awesome.
 

#3-Full Armor Unicorn Gundam (Destroy Mode)
If you’re new to this blog, you should know that the Gundam Unicorn is my all time favorite Gundam in the entire franchise.  Granted much of this comes from playing the heck out of it in Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 but still doesn’t hurt that I liked it well before then.  I’ve built three different Unicorn models in the last few months, one of them an SD model I got from Otakon.  Of the three, this green tinted Full Armor Model is by far the most challenging and it’s not even from the suit itself.  This thing is as armed to the teeth as it looks and putting all of those weapons together took the majority of my time.  Still, the results speak for themselves, this is a pretty epic looking Gundam.  I don’t even mind that it’s the Green Unicorn instead of the Destroy Mode’s more traditional Red.  All that said, should probably chill on all the various Unicorn models for a bit.  Gundam Unicorn has some sweet mecha designs and the deserve some love too.
 

#2-Gundam Deathscythe Hell EW
I was totally unprepared for this when I opened a package from my best friend on Christmas Day.  This is the very first Master Grade Gunpla I’ve ever worked on and it felt so daunting to even try.  Til now, I’ve only stuck to the more standard High Grade models and I was nervous about trying to go up a level.  Master Grades speak for themselves: higher detail, greater quality parts…some I might’ve even broken in the process.  Still, I trudged through and came out with a model that looks as ferocious as the Endless Waltz Model does with those huge wings that fold in and out and that deadly beam scythe (I do miss the double bladed one from the TV Series though).  I’m pretty proud of this one and while I wont be going out of my way to bankrupt myself on more Master Grades (one every once in a while is ok though), completing this Gundam is proof to me I’m ready to tackle bigger challenges in this hobby.  Also it comes with two tiny Duo Maxwells: one standing and another in a seated posture that can sit in the Gundam’s cockpit, that is so neat.
 

#1-Gundam Helios
Up there with the Livelance Heaven, this is the Gunpla I’ve wanted to build since I started getting back into Gunpla building and seeing it on the shelf at Target.  The Helios borrows elements from several Gundams including the titular Gundams from Gundam Seed Destiny and Gundam X and the Freedom from Gundam Seed.  Needless to say, packing in all that energy and firepower makes this thing a bonafied beast on the battlefield I’m sure.  The wings of the Helios actually open up completely and it has cannons in it’s hands a la Iron Man, which means that when this thing is ready to unleash all of its furry, run.  So yeah, this one was pretty complex to put together with all of these moving parts, many of them didn’t really want to stick and I still have trouble with them.  Either way, this is a beautiful looking Gundam and one I’m incredibly proud to look at on my shelf.  I know this one features heavily in the Gundam Breaker Battleogue OVA but can we please make this the centerpiece Gundam of it’s own mainline Gundam series?

No comments:

Post a Comment