Wednesday, August 3, 2022

T5W#364-Top 5 Otakon 2022 Moments

While I did take a single day trip in 2021, I hadn’t been able to have a full four day Otakon experience (including Pre Reg Day) since 2019.  The Pandemic really slowed down a lot of things and while Katsucon was back in full swing earlier this year, more or less, I still chose not to go due to fear of the new Omicron variant still ravaging the place.  But Otakon, this was something I was never going to pass up, come Hell or high water.  And trust me, on a personal level 2022 has been more mentally trying than any before it and that’s saying a lot.  Plus, a near Covid scare on my end threatened to derail the trip right at the starting line.  BUT, in spite of all the drama, Otakon 2022 did happen for four days and man, it was something I really, really, really needed.  From tearful reunions to being able to walk the halls of the Walter E. Washington again to all the crazy adventures, this was an epic return for Otakon for the ages and at last, I get to talk about my five favorite moments.  Probably my most anticipated Top 5 Wednesday of the year, it’s my Top 5 Otakon 2022 Moments.

 
#5-Unofficially Running Just Dance
Ever since I first found it in the Game Room at Katsucon, I’ve loved spending the late hours of a convention in the Video Game Room at the Just Dance station, dancing to all manner of song with fun strangers.  I didn’t start playing it at Otakon until it came to DC and this year I did want to make some time for it.  On Saturday, even though I wanted to get in at least one more raunchy late night panel, I ended up hanging out at the Just Dance space til the Game Room closed at 1am.  During that time, I’d noticed the playlist for the game was much smaller than it was on Saturday.  This lead to me going on a quest to find someone who could maybe hook the Xbox back up to the Wifi to get all the DLC.  Someone did come along and offer their phone as a Mobile Hot Spot and I somehow ended up being the DJ til the end of the night, choosing a song or two of my own while also taking requests from others and keeping track of time so we wouldn’t overstay and get into trouble.  It was wild I somehow fell into this role but it was fun.  Also, fun fact, the two songs that drew the biggest crowds were Rasputin and Apache, two very old classics with awesome choreography, that’s crazy.

 
#4-I found the perfect gift for my sister
Fun Fact: whenever I go to a Convention, I always try to come away with gifts for two people in particular: one of my very best friends who I’d been trading gifts with during the holidays ever since we met, and my little sister.  I’ve tried to get her items from all across the Anime item spectrum from plushies to stickers to Blu Ray to a Tequilla Gundam Shot Glass from the G Gundam Blu Ray Box Set (ok that last one I got on my own during the Pandemic but I was always gonna give that to her).  This year, however, I found the big one, an item I never stopped wondering if I’d find but never thought I would.  I have a cute nickname for my sister based on our mutual love for Full Metal Panic: Bonta Kun, after the lovable Teddy/Mouse hybrid mascot from the Second Season, Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu.  Well…I FOUND A BONTA KUN PLUSHIE!!!! AN OFFICIAL ONE!!!!!  The second I locked eyes on it, I asked for a price and immediately bought it without hesitation (it wasn’t badly priced so I didn’t break my budget).  Being able to give a Bonta Kun to my Bonta Kun…oh man no way I could ever pass up that opportunity.

 
#3-Manly Battleships brings the Late Night Comedy
In 2015, I met a Korra cosplayer named Brook and an instant friendship was formed.  During our first meeting, she told me about a fun late night panel I could come to that she was co-hosting.  It was here I was introduced to the raunchy comedic masterworks of Manly Battleships.  Brook and her partner in crime, Mr. Panda, always bring the crazy, the naughty and the sexy to any panel they chair and they have a variety of presentations for the late night crowd. For this years Otakon, I got the chance to attend two of these panels.  The first was the supposed “Final Chapter” of their long running “You’re Wrong and You Should Feel Bad” series and Panda tore into EVERYTHING he could in the span of an hour from ripping apart Gundam, poking holes at Otakon history, tearing down the walls of Attack on Titan and demystifying The Lord of the Rings.  The second was a game show called “Waifu or Daifu” that Brook had come up with during the Pandemic.  Through a variety of categories (School Girls, Aliens, Catgirls, Bad Boys etc), contestants had to choose a “Winner” from three mystery dates with five questions at their disposal.  The Winners got to see about 20 seconds of naughty material of their date of choice….the losers got something a bit darker.  And it all culminated with an epic finale I wont go into details about here.  Let’s just say when it comes to Manly Battleships, ending the show how they did…well, “This is the Way.”

 
#2-Jet "MotherF******" Black
I haven’t really made it a priority to meet many celebrities at Conventions mostly because of the long lines and wait times to even meet them.  There are times when I have lucked into meeting one of my many Anime VA heroes like Johnny Yong Bosch, Laura Baily and Travis Willingham.  This year, Otakon was going for broke for its first full year back.  The dynamic duo of Steve Blum and Beau Billingslea, two very long time friends most know as the bounty hunting duo of Spike Spiegel and Jet Black from Cowboy Bebop had come to DC.  Thanks to my eye for detail, I noticed that Steve had a table next to his eternal VA bestie and a small line was forming…which meant THAT was where the autographing was to take place.  My friend Johnnie hopped in line with his nephew, Dom, while my friend Maria, Johnnie’s Wife, got into Beau’s line.  I was just finishing lunch with Maria before setting off to get coffee for a friend…wheeeeen I walked right passed Beau Billingslea on his way back to his table.  Grumbling and cursing, I reunited with Maria, who offered to pay for me to get a selfie with the legend himself (in the process she also secured a special deal where she, Johnnie and Dom could get a photo with both Steve and Beau).  HOLY CRAP!!!! I got to speak with Jet Black, get a photo and fist bump him…even telling him I turned around and hoped into his line when I saw him on the way out, which made him feel very touched…I had to sit down for a second afterwards.
 

#1-Many Happy Returns
The one thing I’m always looking forward to with any con is meeting up with my friends, my dearest Convention Family.  Some of them I’d seen a few times in the last few months for various events in the Maryland/Pennsylvania area.  Some I did get to see at Otakon 2021 and spend the day with them.  But there were a couple of others I hadn’t seen in a long, long time: one because of the Pandemic and the other because we could never get the timing right.  One reunion in particular was seven years in the waiting and I got to spend so much time this weekend with this friend as if I was making up for lost time.  The other reunion in my mind saw a friend from two years ago rush to me, hug me and sob into me, clearly they’d had a rough couple of years, more so than most of us.  I’ve never had that happened before and I lost track of how long I hugged them for.  But there was also those friends I can always count on to make my Convention experience memorable even when times of stress emerge.  I’ve been doing Otakon a long time and I’ve met so many amazing people through it, people who make me smile and laugh and cry when I need it.  Theyre the reason I keep coming back and always do whatever it takes to get to Otakon or Katsucon so I can see them again for a few days.  And given how the last couple of years have been for me, I can say that I’m not about to let that attitude slip.  I’ve got a lot of work to do before Katsucon in February 2023.  But you can be damn sure that for this family, so close to my heart, I’ll be there…and you can bet your ass I’ll see everyone again at Otakon next year, July 27-30, 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment