Wednesday, May 11, 2022

T5W#352-Top 5 Moments from Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (Entertainment District Arc)

It took me longer than I’d like to admit but I finally got around to binging the Second Season of Demon Slayer.  Because I wasn’t a fan of the decision to turn it into a TV Arc, I opted to skip the Mugen Train Arc and just press on with the Entertainment District Arc (if the Mugen Train Arc added anything extra or new I think I picked up on it fine, like the epilogue with Rengoku’s family).  And to be honest, I’m glad I opted to just jump right into the Entertainment District Arc because HOLY S*** Demon Slayer did it again.  What a freaking amazing thrill ride that basically topped everything the First Season and the Mugen Train Movie offered.  Needless to say, I know I’m several weeks late but I’m gonna use todays Top 5 Wednesday to talk about my Top 5 Moments from Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yauba (Entertainment District Arc).  How the heck theyre gonna top this in the recently announced Season Three, I have no idea.  For now, let’s focus on this awesomeness first and why it continues to cement Demon Slayer as one of the best Anime in the world right now.
 
#5-Zenitsu
If Season One has one major flaw for me, it’s Zenitsu.  Yeah he’s got a decent following and he has his bad ass moments.  But in Season One a lot of those moments are overshadowed by endless amounts of crying and screaming, so much he rivals Asta from Black Clover for loudest voice in Shonen Anime.  The Entertainment District Arc tonned down a lot of Zenitsu’s whining.  He still had his spouts, particularly at the very end.  Throughout most of the Arc though, Zenitsu was a lot braver and more bad ass than ever…mostly because after Daki knocked him out, Zenitsu was sleep fighting his way through a lot of the big battle and pulling off more amazing moves.  Even Inosuke noted how much of a different person Zenitsu was in this state and we need more of this.  Also dude can rock on a Shamisen, bad ass.


 #4-Nezuko Unleashed
One major complaint I had about the Mugen Train movie was Nezuko, arguably the breakout star of the series, had very little to do throughout the film.  Nezuko’s always been a bit of a time bomb.  She’s an adorable Himouto but any moment could see her go full on Demon.  One such moment came in the fight against Daki where more of Nezuko’s innermost Demonic potential came out in some very scary ways.  Seeing Nezuko’s body get shredded only to be held into by lines of her own blood was freaky but damn if she didn’t show up Daki in several ways, landing some serious blows and giving Tanjiro a brief break before he had to restrain his relentless little sister before she did more damage than needed.  Nezuko needs an arc to learn to control her Demon powers because theyre a wild card against Muzan and his forces that’s sorely needed.
 

#3-A Pair of Fun Villains
I’ve gotta hand it to Demon Slayer for providing us with a bunch of fun and different villains for Tanjiro and company to go up against.  The Entertainment District Arc was no different and I think they offered the best pair yet in the form of Daki and Gyutaro.  One was an incredibly attractive Demonic beauty who could use her belt to shred victims and entire city blocks.  The other look like a skinnier and scarier version of Gollum from the old Rankin Bass Hobbit cartoon (they even sounded kind of similar).  These two were even more thematic as a potential dark side to Tanjiro and Nezuko, being siblings who both went down the Demonic path of irredeemable evil.  Their personalities were big and their penchant for carnage was even bigger, the action scenes befitting such excess…speaking of which.

 
#2-Tengen’s Flashy Final Charge
Tengen took a couple of episodes for me to warm up to because I think most of the Hashira are a little to elitist for my taste.  But like Shinobu and Rengoku before him, as time went on, we got to see Tengen was more than about his larger than life persona and how he presented himself.  Dude is a ninja of the highest calibur, using his chain weapon like a pro even when he’s short a limb (Spoiler Alert, sorry).  Tengen lives life as flashy as possible and his ultimate showdown with Gyutaro was nothing short of that, giving us easily one of the Top 5 Best Fight Scenes Studio Ufotable Has Ever Done (I’ll table that for a later list maybe).  And crap, I didn’t think I could be as shocked and awed as I was when I saw the Regoku vs. Azaka fight in Mugen Train.
 

#1-Tanjiro “Never Give Up” Kamado
Arc after Arc, battle after battle, Tanjiro has been tested relentlessly since the start of the series.  The damage he receives from Gyutaro and Daki throughout the Entertainment District Arc is so much, no human should be able to get back up, much less still be breathing.  At one point, Tanjiro is sitting in the ruins of the titular district, fire all around him and his friends in terrible shape.  Gyutaro ramps up his unlikability by taunting Tanjiro over his helplessness, even breaking two of the poor kids fingers (ouch).  In spite of all of this, Tanjiro refuses to give up, to let the despair and darkness overwhelm him, to let the battle end without him being victorious.  Tanjiro reminds me a lot of My Hero Academia’s Deku in a way that he has an incorruptible soul and a heart that hasn’t stopped burning with hope and never will.  The amount of courage and heart he shows in the battle with Gyutaro and Daki and what he manages to accomplish, I know Tanjiro’s gonna be the one to take down Muzan and I cant wait to see that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment