Wednesday, March 3, 2021

T5W#290-My Sister’s Top 5 Favorite Anime

It is one of the best feelings in the world having a sibling who is also into Anime.  While our levels of fandom differ, everyones does, our mutual love of Anime is one of our strongest connections.  Since her birthday was yesterday, I figured it was about time I talked about her own taste in Anime and the ones she enjoys on her end of the Otaku spectrum.  Some of these ive seen and enjoy as much as she does, others are exclusive to my sister and her own personal tastes.  So, with a list picked by the sibling herself, I present My Sister’s Top 5 Favorite Anime.

#5-Fruits Basket/Fruits Basket 2019

I was a little surprised when I asked my sister about including Fruits Basket on this list and she said “well which one?”  It speaks volumes to the 2019 retelling that its doing so well despite it only about to begin its final season.  Plus Fruits Basket holds a special place in my sisters Anime fandom.  The original Anime, while only covering the first few volumes, was still an enjoyable show and it inspired her to collect the Manga and finish the story the Anime began.  Who knows, maybe if she requests it, ill review one or both of the TV Anime one day.

 

#4-Mobile Suit Gundam Wing

Those who have been reading my blog long enough know about my love for Gundam Wing.  Part of that comes from my sister and the feeling is mutual.  When this show first dropped on Toonami it provided a new kind of bonding experience.  The two of us geeking out over Giant Robots and the bad ass pilots who use them, it was an awesome summer and its still the one Gundam we can both come back to and agree is still fun.  Heck, my sister loves Wing so much it’s the ultimate challenge to get her to try other shows.

 

#3-Princess Tutu

An Anime about Magical Girl Ballerinas?  Ok I’ll be honest I only saw an episode or two of this one and I couldn’t get it.  But this list isn’t about my interest in an Anime, it’s about my sisters and she adores this one immensely.  From the music to the quirky characters to the emotional fairy tale approach to its storytelling, my sister would constantly defend this one even when I thought it was kind of silly with its odd approach to everything.  Im sure it also helped that my sister is a ballet dancer so an Anime with that dance as its main element would absolutely appeal to her.

 

#2-Soul Eater

Everyone’s got a Shonen Anime they adore, be it Naruto, One Piece or, me personally, Dragon Ball Z.  For my sister, that choice is Soul Eater.  Death Reapers in training using living weapons to battle threats to the real world and the after life, it’s a heck of a wild ride.  It’s also the one I probably most frequently find my sister watching or even falling asleep to like listening to a lullabye.  She’s also got a special spot for the wacky wisdom of Excalibur, be it his theme song or his eternally awesome use of his catchphrase, “YOU FOOL…”.  Even though it’s conclusion is pretty lacking, Soul Eater is still worth a watch and if it wasn’t for my sister hyping the heck out of it, I wouldn’tve seen it.

 

#1-Mushishi

One look at any promo picture and I’d assume this was Anime’s answer to Constantine.  I mean, a bleach haired guy who smokes and walks the Earth handling spirit problems.  According to the sis, it’s a lot more than that and when I asked her why this is her favorite Anime, she simply said “THE FEELS!!!!”  Yeah, Mushishi is a very special and unique kind of title.  It focuses more on its world and characters of the week, with its lead character, Ginko, being a protector and guide for those he helps handling their Mushi problems.  Feel like I should give this one a shot sometime, actually if it comes so recommended from one of my most trusted sources for Anime, I should’ve borrowed it from my sister ages ago.

1 comment: