Wednesday, April 1, 2020

T5W#242-Top 5 Katsucon 2020 Cosplays


Normally I’d hold off on doing Top 5’s on the cosplays ive seen this year until October (the month of Halloween).  Seeing how things have been going since the beginning of March and hearing about numerous reschedulings and cancellations of conventions nationwide, I have no clue what next con I’ll be attending in 2020 (my best hope is that Baltimore Comic Con is at least still happening in October).  Still, in my mission to keep things as sunny as possible here, I’m moving up a cosplay Top 5 to this very day.  It’s been a little over a month since Katsucon 2020 and it still ranks as one of the best Katsu’s ive ever been too.  And the cosplay was as strong as ever and I still think of it as the biggest Cosplay Con of the East Coast.  Naturally, picking 5 out of literally thousands was incredibly difficult and equally naturally, I did manage to pick them.  So to start off the first Top 5 Wednesday of Year 7, I give you my Top 5 Katsucon 2020 Cosplays.  As always, if I know who these cosplayers are, I’ll include links to their social media pages so you can follow their cosplay craft and adventures.

#5-Ruler (The Spicy Cat)
Last summer at Otakon 2019, I met Spicy Cat while she was rocking her very first cosplay: Magician Symmetra from Overwatch (or as I like to call it Zatanna Symmetra).  I think this girl has a lot of potential as a cosplayer and I was always excited to see what project would be her sophomore outing.  Sure enough, Cat showed up at Katsu and this time she revealed she’d become quite the Fate/Stay Night fan, particularly of Fate/Apocrypha.  Her cosplay of Jeanne D’Arc looked pretty awesome and I don’t really see a lot of Rulers at cons, so this was an even greater treat.

Link to Spicy Cat on Instagram
 

#4-Inoskuke (Empty Deity)
 
Shocking no one, Demon Slayer was the big flavor of the month at Katsucon.  So there were literally dozens of all the main characters: Tanjiro, Zenosuke, God knows Nezuko was probably the most cosplayed character at Katsucon in general.  Obviously, the last member of Tanjiro’s demon hunting quartet, Zenosuke, was equally repped and damn they were all impressive.  My favorite of the bunch has to go to another up and coming cosplayer named Empty Deity.  Her outfit was great but it was her helmet that looked so damn real that impressed me the most.  I wouldntve known it was her until she removed her helmet when I asked for a photo, it’s really good stuff. 

Link to Empty Deity on Instagram


#3-Mordred-Full Armor Red Saber
Everyone goes all out on their cosplay, no matter their skill level.  Those who can do full blown armor sets and giant robots are definitely in a league all their own and your bound to see one or two at Katsucon.  This years stand out in that regard was a full armor Red Saber aka Mordred from Fate/Apocrypha.  The glow effects, the sheen and that sword, someone def put the blood, sweat and tears into this one.


#2-Cat Bus Dress (Candy Heart Cosplay)
It’s fun when cosplayers get creative with characters from Genderbends to inspirations from random designs on DeviantArt.  In all of my con going experiences, I’ve only come across one or two cosplays in this style…and I think they were both Totoros lol.  Well, Cat Bus is one of my all time favorite creatures in Anime, nevermind Miyazaki.  Seeing it turned into this gorgeous ballroom dress was a sight to behold and worth a chuckle and several words of praise to the seamstress who brought it to life.

Link to Candy Heart Cosplay on Instagram


#1-Armored Deku (Canary Cry Cosplay)
 
Oh man, i had been waiting for this.  Canary Cry had been posting updates on this build for months since we last saw each other at Awesomecon 2019.  This one had promise, this one had hype…and DAMN…she delivered on both.  This Armored Deku is now her new gold standard with how legit it looks and the color when it lights up, man I’m so happy I got to see this one at night while she was wandering around the Gaylord in it.  And Canary looked like she was having an absolute blast wearing it.  She should and she should feel so proud of what she accomplished.  If Japan ever decides to move forward with a live action My Hero Academia, Canary Cry Cosplay is who they should come to in order to bring the hero of tomorrows legendary costume to life.

Link to Canary Cry Cosplay on Instagram 



No comments:

Post a Comment