Wednesday, October 30, 2019

T5W#220-Top 5 Baltimore City Comic Con 2019 Cosplays


Previously on Top 5 Wednesday:
Ive been going to conventions for years, both Anime and general nerd culture themed.  Obviously, one of the best things to see there besides the guest stars, the Dealers Room and a pretty cool convention center are the legions upon legions of cosplayers.  All show up to show off their craft and sometimes it can be hard to choose which one is your favorite from a 1-3 day experience.  Well normally I reserve Top 5 Cosplay lists for October, the month of Halloween though I know that with some Cosplayers that might as well be a year long event.  2019 was a busy convention year for me and I decided a while back that when I got to October, I’d spend the bulk of the month dedicated to the Best Cosplays of 2019.  I’ll be going in chronological order beginning with Katsucon 2019 and ending at my most recent, Baltimore City Comic Con 2019.  So consider this a little Top 5 Wednesday special Miniseries…that needs a proper title.

Baltimore City Comic Con still feels like a relatively new event ive been going to…and yet this is my 5th in the last 6 years.  It’s not as grandious as many of the other conventions ive been to in 2019 but that doesn’t mean there’s less magic to be found, especially when it comes to cosplay.  Though my plans to attend all three days were cut short due to a family emergency, I got to see some stellar projects from cosplayers both familiar and new to me and some were pretty big surprises too.  All in all, not a bad con to end the season on (for me anyway, this is def my last con of the year).  So, let’s close out this Top 5 Wednesday miniseries with the final cosplay chapter of 2019, my Top 5 Baltimore City Comic Con 2019 Cosplays.

#5-Izma
 That feather, that posture, this cosplayer just oozed Izma confidence.  For those who might not recognize her, this is Izma from the seriously underrated Disney Classic, The Emperor’s New Groove.  She’s the main villain of the movie and is a wacky advisor looking to steal the throne from Emperor Cuzko using science and cunning.  As you can see this cosplayer has also nicely replicated the beaker of death poison meant for the hapless groovy Emperor.  Gah the classics are all coming back and it is awesome.  If you’ve never seen The Emperor’s New Groove, watch it however you can, it is still too freaking hilarious. 


#4-Zhora
I had to do a double take on this one.  Joanna Cassidy’s translucent raincoat look from my all time favorite movie from 1982, Blade Runner, is very distinct and one I would instantly recognize but wouldn’t believe I was ever seeing being cosplayed.  Sure enough I caught up to this cosplayer and at the cost of embarrassing myself asked if she was indeed cosplaying Zhora.  She was.  My mind was blown.  You don’t see many Blade Runner cosplayers out there (and even then its mostly just very well put together Rick Deckards).  This cosplay was awesome and I’m glad my favorite movie of all time is still getting the recognition it deserves today.


#3-Sailor Venus and Sailor Pluto
These were the very first cosplays I saw when I got to the Convention Center on Friday and it’s always an awesome sight to see Anime repped at a con mostly dominated by general nerd comic and pop culture.  Venus and Pluto were both so kind when snagging this shot and could later be seen during a photoshoot introducing themselves to an adorable little girl who was a fan of Sailor Moon.  Just another reminder of why every character from this Anime continues to be cosplayed today.  You’re not just a hit with the community, you’re a hit with everyone when youre a Sailor Senshi…and that makes you a Rockstar in my eyes.

You can check out more cosplay adventures from these two here:


#2-Gotham City Villains
It is no surprise that the villains that comprise Batmans Rogues Gallery are still popular in the cosplay community.  And while I did see a ton of great Jokers based on the recent release of Joker starring Juaquin Phoenix, im awarding this spot to another group of cosplayers ive come to know over the years.  Kimon Harley, Suave Riddler, Femme Joker and New 52 Poison Ivy, it might be a bit of a cheat but this is my list, so there.  Special cudos to Ghostiemuffin for her New 52 Ivy, improving immensely on one of her very first cosplays (another Ivy from a while ago and before we met).  Sometimes the best cosplays can be made when you have the right team to pull them off with.

Alright, here’s the mass Social Media linkage list for all four of these incredible cosplayers:

Ghostiemuffin Cosplay (Ivy)

Icefox Cosplay (Riddler)

Cupcake Kisses Cosplay (Harley)

Make Pretender (Joker)


#1-Battlestar Galactica 1978 Cylon Centurion
Sure Battlestar Galactica is probably best known for the incredible darker reboot from back in 2004 (which is probably one of my favorite TV shows of all time).  But many might forget that reboot wouldntve happened without the campy would be Star Wars TV Series that debuted in 1978 (a year after Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope).  The Cylon’s of that series were always a fun bunch in their visual and vocal designs.  So seeing one roam the halls of the Baltimore Convention Center with a working visor and armor that looks like it came straight from the TV Series itself was a gift to the young me who first watched BSG in Iowa an eternity ago.  I just wish he had a working voice modulator so I could hear him say “By your command”.

No comments:

Post a Comment