Wednesday, October 16, 2019

T5W#218-Top 5 Awesomecon 2019 Cosplays

Previously on Top 5 Wednesday:
Ive been going to conventions for years, both Anime and general nerd culture themed.  Obviously, one of the best things to see there besides the guest stars, the Dealers Room and a pretty cool convention center are the legions upon legions of cosplayers.  All show up to show off their craft and sometimes it can be hard to choose which one is your favorite from a 1-3 day experience.  Well normally I reserve Top 5 Cosplay lists for October, the month of Halloween though I know that with some Cosplayers that might as well be a year long event.  2019 was a busy convention year for me and I decided a while back that when I got to October, I’d spend the bulk of the month dedicated to the Best Cosplays of 2019.  I’ll be going in chronological order beginning with Katsucon 2019 and ending at my most recent, Baltimore City Comic Con 2019.  So consider this a little Top 5 Wednesday special Miniseries…that needs a proper title.  Oh and P.S. if I know the names of any of these cosplayers ill be sure to include links to their social media pages so you can see more of their fantastic work.

This year was my first trip to Awesomecon in Washington D.C., in the same convention center Otakon is now held in.  I wasn’t there for long but I saw so many cool cosplayers that could easily fill up a list.  So without further ado, onto Part 2 of the Miniseries, Top 5 Awesomecon 2019 Cosplays

#5-Captain Marvel
Seeing as how Avengers: Endgame came out a couple of day prior, I was expecting Marvel cosplays to be everywhere.  And they were and all of them were pretty cool (including one further up the list).  However, this Captain Marvel stood out to me most.  The costume looks straight up Star Force official and the stare I got from her in the pose was pure bonefied “do not F with me” Carol Danvers gold.  This cosplayer does a cool Supergirl too, so im glad I got to meet her briefly.  The cosplayer is NatArchaic Cosplay btw and you can see more of her work on her cosplay pages.



#4-Mage Glaceon (aka Ice Vaporean)
Ghostiemuffin Cosplay has been a neverending train of pure fun and energy since the day ive met her and she always puts that power into each cosplay she works on.  I’m not sure if Awesomecon was where she first debuted this one but man it was fun to see.  Mage or Warrior versions of classic Pokemon aren’t too rare a cosplay to see (especially if you can find a good take on the many Eeveelutions).  Ghostiemuffin’s Glaceon looks truly magical…and I kick myself for not remembering the name at first, hence the nickname I gave it, Ice Vaporean.  This girls got one helluva cosplay future ahead of her, keep an eye out.

For more Ghostiemuffin Goodness, check out her Facebook and Instagram pages here:



#3-Tali Zorah vas Normandy
The Mass Effect Trilogy is one of my all time favorite video game franchises (with Mass Effect 2 easily in my list of Top 10 Greatest Video Games of All Time).  The universe and characters it created are some of the best in scifi and it’s kind sad that the heyday of Mass Effect has died out (the bomb that was Mass Effect: Andromeda didn’t help that either).  So it’s always awesome to see some of its characters represented in cosplay.  This Tali though, might as well have been the real deal, a true alien visitor from another world id love to meet.  The look of her suit and the tinting of her mask (hiding a face we’ve never seen in the games) are so on point that should a Mass Effect movie ever find its way into production, they should track down this cosplayer and have them work on costumes for the Quarrians alone.  Amazing stuff.


#2-Killmonger Creed
 Michael B. Jordan is one of the best actors of his generation and two of his most defining roles so far have been as Adonis “Donnie” Creed in the Creed movies and Erik “Killmonger” Stevens in Black Panther.  Seeing these two fused into such a powerhouse of a cosplay is a stroke of genius im surprised I haven’t seen before.  Sure you don’t see any Rocky cosplays (if any at all) at any con, but as a shoutout to a stellar actor and confirmed Anime fan (I think Jordan even had a bit of Saiyan armor input in KIllmongers costume in Black Panther), this is pretty legit.


#1-Troia
Holy crap, im so glad I got to see this.  My friend Canary Cry Cosplay had been hyping this cosplay build for a while now and I kept hoping id run into her during my short time at Awesomecon.  Well the wait to see it was worth it.  While I don’t know much about Troia besides she’s a darker version of DC Heroine Donna Troy, man has the dark side never looked this cool.  The armor, the cape, the sword that lights up and that mask that can pierce your soul with a stare…and Canary does look pretty cool sans mask too, this Troia is a big win for this cosplayer and def one of her very best works to date.  I’m honored I got to see it in person and congratulate an awesome friend.

Behold more of Canary Cry Cosplays epic cosplay resume right here:

Not a bad bunch of finds from my first time to Awesomecon.  But what did the cosplay look like during my return to my equivalent of Disney Land?  Find out next week as we return to Otakon once more for my Top 5 Otakon 2019 Cosplays.

No comments:

Post a Comment