Wednesday, October 23, 2019

T5W#219-Top 5 Otakon 2019 Cosplays


Previously on Top 5 Wednesday:
Ive been going to conventions for years, both Anime and general nerd culture themed.  Obviously, one of the best things to see there besides the guest stars, the Dealers Room and a pretty cool convention center are the legions upon legions of cosplayers.  All show up to show off their craft and sometimes it can be hard to choose which one is your favorite from a 1-3 day experience.  Well normally I reserve Top 5 Cosplay lists for October, the month of Halloween though I know that with some Cosplayers that might as well be a year long event.  2019 was a busy convention year for me and I decided a while back that when I got to October, I’d spend the bulk of the month dedicated to the Best Cosplays of 2019.  I’ll be going in chronological order beginning with Katsucon 2019 and ending at my most recent, Baltimore City Comic Con 2019.  So consider this a little Top 5 Wednesday special Miniseries…that needs a proper title.

If there’s one convention im almost garunteed to attend every year, it’s Otakon.  And those of you who are my friend on Facebook or Instagram know I take a crap ton of photos cause cosplay is everywhere and the photoshoot gatherings are enormous.  But I feel like I found a lot of really good cosplays this year, though it’s Otakon, everyone will always look amazing no matter their level of craft.  Time for Part 3 of my little Miniseries: Top 5 Otakon 2019 Cosplays.

#5-Sharp Dressed Gundam Unicorn
This guy is living my dream right here.  I kind of wish that Gundams could almost be like Iron Man armor, personal sized and with all the cool functions despite not being a behemoth.  The helmet alone, a replica of the Unicorn NTD Mode, makes me wanna cry.  It’s like they took the best parts of the Unicorn Gundam statue in Japan and scaled them down to fit a normal human…I wannnnnnt thiiiiiis…


#4-Spider Man Deku
If there’s any hero out there who is a true counterpart to Deku in My Hero Academia, Peter Parker aka Spider Man is a solid choice.  Both start out as kids who unexpectedly receive powers and battle alongside longtime veterans while learning how to better themselves and form the beliefs that will become the central drives of their superhero careers.  So a fusion of these two makes sense and this cosplay nailed the balance and Spidyisms and Deku’s costume color palate perfectly.  Hey Marvel, when you get around to doing an Avengers/My Hero Academia crossover could this outfit become official for Spidey? 


#3-Bride Ochaco 
Let’s face it, Ochaco and Deku are bound to be a true couple in the future, right?  If Inuyasha and Kagome or Naruto and Hinata could beat the odds, surely UA’s most beloved will they/wont they couple deserve their do, right?  Well if Deku and Ochaco do end up tying the knot, I hope Ochaco’s wedding dress looks half as good as this cosplay.  It looks absolultey gorgeous, so much so you’d think the cosplayer was getting married at this very convention…and I wouldn’t ever rule that possibility out really.  Next to Spider Man Deku, this cosplay definitely stole the show at the Saturday Hero Aca Photoshoot. 


#2-Magician Symmetra (aka Zatanna Symmetra)
What blows my mind about this cosplay isn’t just that it looks phenomenal.  I got to chat with The Spicy Cat and she told me this was her very first cosplay.  I had to stop a second and let that thought sink in.  Then we chatted more and more and the more details she provided…the more I stuck with my first reaction: No way, this Symmetra is too good, no way this is your very first one.  But it was and man did she knock it out of the park.  If her debut in the world of cosplay looks this good, I cant wait to see what other characters she brings to life down the line.

Spicy Car’s cosplay journey is just beginning.  For more of her cosplay and kick video game adventures, follow her here:


#1-Baby Chuthulu  
OMG there was no competition after me and my friends spotted this one from a balcony overlooking the lobby.  Big head, nice little waddle and it even danced a little and those adorable eyes…the harbinger of the apocalypse has never looked more adorable.  Hands down, Best Cosplay of the Year.

Guess that leaves one more con to go through.  Check back next week for the finale of this special miniseries: Top 5 Baltimore City Comic Con Cosplays.

No comments:

Post a Comment