Wednesday, November 8, 2017

T5W#117-Top 5 Anime Im Considering Reviewing for Summer 2018


Well it took the weather long enough but it’s finally beginning to feel like the fall season, nice and chilly.  And yet, part of me is looking ahead to next year, planning out what titles im going to tackle on the Anime Corner, and that includes my now annual Summer Series.  In the past, ive used the July and early August periods to cover a series that’s a bit long than my usual 13-26 episode limit.  I’ll post reviews a bit more frequently and, usually, it ends with me going off to Otakon to enjoy a friend and Anime filled weekend.  While I had to sit out 2017, I am aiming to check out the new DC Otakon in 2018…and even if I cant, like this past year I’m gonna still do another extra length series because it has become tradition.  So for this week to beat back the chill (though I actually prefer colder weather), I’m dedicating this Top 5 to the Anime I’m Considering Reviewing for Summer 2018.

 

#5-Mobile Suit Gundam
I’ve been thinking about this one for a long time, even considered doing a two month long review of it to close out one year.  However, as much as I do love the original Mobile Suit Gundam series, it takes the bottom spot because two of these last three epic review sessions have belonged to Gundam titles.  My first in 2015 went to Gundam 00 and this past summer saw Gundam Wing get the spotlight.  There will always be time for Gundam on this blog (believe me, it’s in the title).  But maybe another series along the quality (good, bad and everything in between) like Code Geass wouldn’t hurt to mix things up a little.

 

#4-Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works
These two were supposed to be the original Summer 2017 series…then 2017 happened and it’s been a generally sucky year (and I thought it couldn’t get worse than 2016).  As my sister pointed out to me, the world of Fate/Stay Night is heavy content wise.  There’s a lot to process and it’s all super deep and, at the time, I wasn’t ready to handle something like that.  Not to say these two shows aren’t fun, they’re just require a lot more thinking power than I was willing to give at the time.  I still want to give this two part (pretty much) adaptation the attention it deserves: the prequel awesomeness of Fate/Zero and the sexiness of Rin Tohsaka in Unlimited Blade Works demands it.

 

#3-Hellsing Ultimate
The more I watch Team Four Star’s abridged series, the more I want to dive into this one.  Hellsing Ultimate would be a rare exception to my episode length rule.  While it is 10 episodes long (each one covering one volume of the source manga) they’re all almost an hour in length each.  I reviewed Ghost in the Shell: Arise in the same way over a few short weeks and I don’t see why I couldn’t just do five weeks, two episodes each for this one.  And, to be honest, it’s about time I got to see the full on Alucard carnage the Gonzo series I reviewed last year so denied me. No TV constraints, an OVA level budget and a story closer to the source, THIS is the way Hellsing was meant to be seen.

 

#2-Robotech: The Macross Saga
Robotech has been a title several have wondered if id review sometime.  It is pretty lengthy, about 85 episodes across three seasons (and three separate yet woven together Anime titles).  If I had to choose at least one season to cover, it would be the one everybody associates the most with Robotech/the one everybody loves the most…The Macross Saga.  Now I could end up turning this into something like ive done with Full Metal Panic this year, take a month or so to review an entire season and then review the rest at various intervals throughout the year.  The thought has truly occurred to me.  However, seeing as how we probably wont get the original Super Dimensional Fortress Macross…or any other classic Macross outside of Macross Plus here in the states for the rest of eternity, it only feels right that Robotech’s epic first season get some time on my page.  Life everyone else, ive been inspired by the adventures of Rick Hunter, Lisa Hayes, Roy Fokker and the rest of the SDF1 crew.  Maybe reviewing it will inspire others as well.

 

#1-Epic Project: The Summer of Toonami
Now just hear me out on this.  There are plenty of old school titles still on my list to get at conventions.  But if, JUST IF, I was able to get my hands on some of Toonami’s more classic shows that I haven’t covered (so shows like Tenchi Muyo, The Big O, the Sailor Moon films (maybe)).  What if instead of one mega series, I just reviewed all Toonami stuff for June, July and the first part of August on a Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule?  It would be a bit of a task, these shows range anywhere from 12-26 episodes each.  Honestly, this is a long shot.  But it just popped into my head and it’s way too exciting to not consider.  Sure ive covered a lot of Toonami stuff here on the blog already: Gundam Wing, Dragon Ball Z, Outlaw Star…but Toonami was always more and I’m always ready to show my appreciation for the action cartoon program that gave birth to my love of Anime…stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment