Wednesday, October 11, 2017

T5W#113-Top 5 Things I Want to See in RWBY Vol.5


This week, the quirky and adorkable heroines of Team RWBY return to the internet (if youre subscribed to Rooster Teeths premiere programs, otherwise they return next week for the public).  RWBY has come a long way from its humble beginnings.  It’s hit high points and some very tragic lows (the loss of it’s irreplaceable creator Monty Oum).  Through it all, RWBY has become a classic, a legend beloved by fans and it is ready to return and kick more ass than ever before.  In light of this, I do have my own mini wish list of things I’d like to see happen with Vol.5.  So that’s today’s Top 5.  Here’s what I want to see when Ruby Rose swings her gun sythe once again. 

BTW chances are I will review Vol.5 but ill likely wait until the entire season has aired like ive done with every volume in the past.  So keep an eye out around mid February-early March 2018 (just after Katsucon) for my full season review.

 

#5-Push the Endgame
The reason I hold Volume 3 as the best of RWBY so far is that it took two seasons of build up and gave us the best and yet most horrifying payoff.  Volume 4 was good but I felt like it returned to Volume 1&2’s slow wait and build approach.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not in a hurry to see RWBY end any time soon.  Still, we’ve been given a lot of puzzle pieces and it’s time to start fitting them all together, set us up for the inevitable final battle…or not inevitable as they could pad this out for a long time (especially if Team RWBY itself doesn’t reunite during Volume 5 or worse at its end).  The path is there…so where is it all heading.

 

#4-Blake retaking the White Fang
One of the most exciting developments im looking forward to is Blakes new mission to bring the White Fang back to the side of good.  How awesome would it be to see everyones cat eared Faunus leading an army of Faunus ninjas into battle, maybe with a new costume (not that im complaining about her Volume 4 look at all).  Blake’s story was my favorite of the separate Volume 4 quests, from her bonding with her parents to her deepening relationship with Sun.  I’m hoping it only gets better when Blake comes full circle and retakes the organization she once served.

 

#3-A Healthy Dose of Humor
Volume 3 was a turning point for RWBY.  Suddenly all the Anime style humor just stopped and it was time for the series to start getting serious.  In my review of Volume 3, I did praise this as it gave me more sense of urgency or stakes that I never really got from Volume 1 or 2.  I do feel like this move came at a bit of a cost.  No matter how good the individual travels of Team RWBY were in Volume 4, I did miss the humor that came from wide eyed Ruby going all chibi over something.  Blake had some fun moments courtesy of Sun tagging along to meet her parents.  But this show has been dark for a while.  It’s not a fully bad thing…but it would be nice to see the old RWBY humor poke it’s head back in, even if it’s just for one episode.

 

#2-The Bad Guys Need to take a Hit
Ever since things got serious at the mid point of Volume 3, the bad guys seem to be winning far more than the good guys.  There’s only so much of this Game of Thrones approach a guy can take before enough is enough.  The bad guy need to take a loss and a big one.  Im not saying Cinder or Salem need to bite it right away.  But someone like that maniac Tyrian needs to get his ass kicked so bad he doesn’t get back up.  We’ve lost Pyrrah and Penny, it’s time the bad guys knew what that felt like (wow that sounded more personal than I intended but man I’m still hurting over a few things).

 

#1-Team RWBY Reunites
My number 1 is an obvious one.  Vol.4 did the right thing by splitting the girls up.  After Vol.3, everyone was hurt or broken (literally in Yangs case).  Ruby, Weiss, Blake and Yang are strong but they needed time to sort through their own tragedies in their own way.  But the time for reflection and healing has passed.  It’s time for our girls to come home, by which they need to come back together again.  The dynamic is definitely going to be different but it will be stronger than ever before.  And man, if my #2 is going to happen, then Cinder and her masters are in for a galaxy of hurt.  Let’s just hope we don’t have to wait all season for the big four to come together again…that would kind of suck no matter how strong the story is.

No comments:

Post a Comment