Friday, October 20, 2017

FIF#37-Neo Yokio


Welcome to Neo Yokio.  Once a place filled with fear, the greatest exorcists of the 19th Century came together to rid Neo Yokio of its and secure its standing as the greatest city in the world.  Kaz Kaan is a descendant of one of the famous families who saved the city and ushered in a new eschalon of Aristocratic standing.  Sadly, he’s just broken up with his girlfriend and has lost all faith in his duties, his hobbies, even his friends.  Unfortunately, Kaz’s talents are still needed as demons looking to possess poor souls still roam the streets.  It’s Kazs’ destiny to protect Neo Yokio.  But when the second most eligible bachelor in the city loses the one he loves…who will protect him from the darkness of melancholy.

Where the frak do I even begin with this one?  Barely five minutes into the first episode and im wondering why this show is even a thing?  Is it Anime, it looks like it.  Heck it looks like Ouran High School Host Club if the Host all had offspring that made up the population of a whole city…and they battled demons.  Why is there a robot butler who looks like a discarded Autobot design?  Is this the future or the present we’re looking at with this city that sounds like an Ice Cream flavor (is it an Ice Cream flavor?  It’s so strange to ask that).  All these questions and more ran through my head until the ten minute mark when it slapped me right in the face, the one thing that could destroy any future interest in this series new to Netflix…the revelation that I was hearing Jaden Smith voicing Kaz…well…crap.

Yeah.  Neo Yokio’s got a lot of problems in the first episode alone, from the confusing setting to the less than inspiring cast.  Top of the list, however, is Jaden Smith’s portrayal of the “Main Character”.  I throw quotes around that cause…well I guess he’s supposed to be but I feel like we’re just hearing Jaden in real life…were he an aristocrat…in which case he still isn’t that interesting.  Kaz  spends the whole first episode whinning over his life of luxury without a girlfriend, who dumped him to…lets face it she can do better, anyone can.  If the fate of a city, nay the world is left in the hands of a suicidal rich brat who spends time napping on a custom made grave stone he made well in advance of his death…wow, ive got nothing. 

I wasn’t sure what to make of Neo Yokio before I went into it.  I only had the sudden pop up on Netflix to go on and that was it.  Well I had that and a couple of youtube vids I will probably check out once im done writing this review.  Animation wise, it’s not terrible but the world it’s portraying is too confusing.  Besides Smith, there’s some interesting voice talents, in an Anime not being distributed by Disney.  Jude Law, Susan Sarandon and Jason Schwartzman all lend their acting skills to this piece of oddity.  Law stands out as the Optimus Prime like butler Charles, who is doing his best to class up the scene when Kaz just wants to mope.  I guess this is all supposed to be a next gen co production between the States and Japan.  Looking up some info now, it looks like Neo Yokio was worked on by Production I.G., which also pioneered co productions with Toonami’s IGPX.  And yet this still looks bad.  I want to give I.G. credit cause I.G. rarely does wrong but this animation is…just bad *shudders*.

In the end, being both bored and infuriated by a character voiced by an equally bored and infuriating actor probably wont keep me invested in even a series as short as Neo Yokio.  The premise feels like it belongs in some other title and needs to be spiffed up and reorganized (not sure if that makes sense but neither does this project as a whole).  The cast has amazing talent behind it (mostly) but there’s really no reason for something so low on the totem pole to have their vocal powers behind it (kind of like Sean Bean and Lena Heady in Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV).  Why does this show exist?  I don’t know.  Should it continue past six episodes?  Definitely not.  Do I want a Transformers knock off robot butler with the voice of Jude Law?  You know what…yes, yes I would…if it was actual Optimus M*********G Prime.  As I said Neo Yokio sounds like an Ice Cream flavor...but I doubt this bad taste is what any of us expected, even with the lowest of expectations.

Seriously, we get this poor excuse for a college fan film production but aren’t getting Kakegurui on Netflix until 2018?

No comments:

Post a Comment