Wednesday, August 30, 2017

T5W#107-Top 5 Titles I’m Considering for December 2017


 

Well we’re getting into the final months of a very rough but interesting year.  As I talked about in an earlier post, September, October and November are all planned out in terms of reviews.  December, however, is still a mystery that needs to be solved.  Ive talked about it with some friends and readers and ive managed to narrow my choices down a bit…to just around five of them.  So I said, screw it, that’s my Top 5 for this week.  Behold below, the Top 5 Titles I’m Considering Reviewing for December 2017. 


 

#5-Other

Yep, I took the lotto option.  The list of Anime I haven’t reviewed from my personal collection is still a really long list, with everything from stand alone films like Ninja Scroll and Jin Roh to longer shows like Slayers, Death Note and K-On.  Any of the other items on my lengthy list could surplant any of the other choices on todays list.  This isn’t the first time ive made a plan and shuffled it around a bit.  Peacemaker Kurogane, currently being reviewed, was originally on my schedule for the spring.  Then I got my hands on Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 and I promised a friend if I ever got that title, I’d review it.  Hence why Peacemaker got shuffled to now.  And, of course, there’s also the last minute change up of reviewing Gundam Wing over the summer instead of the two part combo of Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works.  Point is, things happen, schedules change, other options become available and (in some cases) appear more interesting than others.  If anything does change, I’ll let everyone know.


 

#4-Ouran High School Host Club

This title, out of the “not my usual cup of tea” barrel, has always been one ive been thinking about covering.  The adventures of Haruhi Fujioka, masquerading as a boy and joining a club of Handsome Gentlemen Hosts, are beloved by many fans, myself included.  True, the initial premise still goes over my head as to how it could all work.  Once you look past that though, Ouran is a very fun show.  In truth, if I don’t cover it in December, there’s a strong chance I might choose it as the title to open 2018 with (if I end up going to Katsucon, fingers crossed, I could even make that my lead-in to that event).  This would probably the most different kind of show ive reviewed on the Anime Corner since Love Hina and Bamboo Blade, and it could be my favorite of those three.

 


#3-Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt

If you ever wanted to see what would happen if you mixed potty humor with sexy Angel transformation strip teases and every visual taboo known to man…this is what you have been waiting for.  Two fallen Angels, the Anarchy Sisters Panty and Stocking, are stuck in Downton City, a purgatory home to the worst of the worst.  If they want to get back to Heaven, they’ll have to buy their way back in by collection the bounties from the demons they slay.  Oh and they have weapons based on their sexy lingerie (Panty’s panties become guns and Stocking’s stockings become swords).  Plus they have a guardian in the form of a pedophilic ex drug kingpin turned fallen Priest named Garterbelt.  Let those ideas and images simmer, or watch the trailer, and see why this would be a fun one for me to review.

 


#2-Dragon Ball Movies (Curse of the Blood Rubies, Sleeping Princess in Devil’s Castle, Mystical Adventure, Path to Power)

Since there are an even 4 weeks in December, this makes the most sense to go with.  These four feature films cover the first few seasons of Akira Toriyama’s original tale with a few changes and alterations.  The gist is still the same: Goku travels the world collecting the Dragon Balls while facing the worlds strongest opponents…you know everything you love about Z except it’s Kid Goku and the actions not as intense yet.  This set of reviews would also include Path to Power, which is the tenth anniversary film for the Dragon Ball franchise.  If you have never seen the original Dragon Ball, or refuse to accept that there is no Dragon Ball without Z, then maybe I should cover these to show that even the greatest of legends have their origins (like it or not it’s still wayyyy better than GT).

 


#1-Katsuhiro Otomo Month

I’ll admit.  With Christmas being the last Monday of 2017, I just want to make this happen so I have an excuse to finally review Akira, on Christmas Day no less.  But if I want to keep it in a theme, I’d have to find some more Otomo related works.  Granted, the man who directed Akira hasn’t really done a lot of directing since his game changing legend.  He’s done writing and produced a few things, such as Metropolis (which I reviewed back in July).  So that would be my criteria.  Obviously, Akira would be on the list.  I’d also include his feature Anime follow up, Steamboy, along with the much overlooked action epic, Spiggan, which he wrote and produced (I think).  I’d like to add his anthology film, Memories, to the list and that’s kind of the make or break on this one.  There is one other film I could try and get if I cant find Memories, the live action Mushishi film that Otomo directed.  I’d like it to be Memories though, IF this is the option I go with.  But even if this doesn’t happen, I’ll probably review Akira just for the hell of it.  It’ll be Christmas after all.

 

Of course, there’s the “Other” option at #5.  So if anyone has any suggestions, send them my way and I’ll take them into consideration.  Til then, see you Friday for the return of First Impression Friday.  Thanks for reading.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment