Wednesday, July 5, 2017

T5W#99-Top 5 Thoughts on Netflix Death Note Trailer 2


The second trailer for the Netflix adaptation of Death Note dropped over the weekend.  Once again, feelings are mixed.  The general concensus is this question: why?  Why is this getting made?  Why are we changing the story so much?  Why does Light look like Quicksilver from Avengers: Age of Ultron?...ok that last one is me but still.  After the less than stellar Ghost in the Shell American adaptation bombed back in March, do we really need the US dipping their fingers into more treasured Anime classics?  Either way, I’ll be reviewing this title when it arrives on August 25th (And hoping The Defenders kicks ass the week before so I don’t have potential dual disappointments).  Here are my Top 5 thoughts on this second trailer.

 

#5-Chaos on a Worldwide Scale
One of the things I like about Death Note is that, for its grand scale story, most of what we see seems to be contained to Light and Japan.  We always hear reports of multiple deaths at Lights hands but never see the worldwide implications in full.  It’s all left up to the viewers imagination.  Here we’ve got churches crumbling and explosions in the desert (the middle east?).  Factor this in with that Ferris Wheel destruction scene from the first trailer that we see again in this one…and ugh I don’t know.  Kind of takes away a lot of the mystery right?

 

#4-Light and Mia: An Equal Partnership?
Light Yagami is a genius with an ever evolving plan.  And sometimes that plan includes manipulating the feelings of a ditzy Japanese Idol to get what he wants.  That doesn’t appear to be the case here.  Light seems to be making things up as he goes along, without much of a plan in mind.  On top of that, it looks like Mia is the one who has a direct influence on getting his “legend” started.  Seeing as how Rem, Misa’s Shimigami, is probably totally absent from the film, it looks like she and Light will be getting cozy sharing the Death Note.  I’m alright with a more confident Misa in Mia.  Light seemingly not in control so soon after taking the Death Note into his possession…that I’m not ok with.  Even at one point in the trailer he seems to be arguing with Mia that they’ve gone too far…this isn’t Light to me.  The Light I know and respect DID go too far and gave zero cares about doing so.  Is this what we get for trying to cram 26+ episodes of material into a 2 hour flick?  Even the 2006 films knew to split things into 2 parts.

 

#3-L: Out of the Shadows
In the Anime and Manga, L never, EVER shows himself in public.  He’s usually having Watari set up a computer conference for him and even then, it’s just a screen with a giant letter “L” and a distorted voice.  This L seems at least ok with dawning a bandits mask and going to speak in front of the press.  He could still have the OG L’s social interaction issues but this doesn’t strike me as the cool and calculating detective.  He seems driven, determined and possessing a far darker personality that the L we know.  Would he kill Light on his own if he had to?  I wouldn’t rule that out.  Either way, I’m not too sold on this portrayal of one of Anime’s greatest minds.

 

#2-That Moment from “Heat”
Heat is a 1995 heist film from director Michael Mann about a bank robber (Robert DeNiro) being pursued by a no nonsense cop (Al Pachino).  There’s an infamous scene from the film where DeNiro and Pachino meet in a café and wax philosophies and life goals.  It’s a huge scene given the star power (one of the first times they were on screen together I think, they never appeared on screen together in The Godfather Part II).  Reason I bring this up is because this very image echoes that legendary scene.  Though I doubt it will be as good, even if it is Light and L.  As spoken above, L seems more determined and driven to catch Light.  “I’m here to make sure you burn,” he says…kind of dark for L.  The fact that Light says nothing in return (at least in the trailer) either says he isn’t intimidated…or his return dialogue isn’t that great.

 

#1-IS THAT RICK DECKARDS GUN?
Serisouly, that looks just like the gun Harrison Ford uses in Blade Runner.  It’s like the movie is super trying to bait me into checking it out…and that’s not cool.  Blade Runner is a special thing to me, I have enough worries about the upcoming sequel without Death Note America having to add to things.

Did I mention Ryuk looks terrifying as hell?  The Willem Dafoe voice might suit him, but I still want to try and sleep tonight, how about you?

Death Note arrives on Netflix August 25th.  Look for my review around that day or the very next day.

Oh and it looks like next week will by my 100th Top 5 Wednesday.  Still working on what to do for this occasion but I hope it will be as special as it deserves to be.  See ya next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment