Wednesday, February 22, 2017

T5W#80-Top 5 Katsucon 2017 Moments


It came with a lot of nervousness, it continued with a lot of excitement, it ended with a great sense of fulfillment and sadness.  Katsucon 2017 was more anticipated by me than other cons of the past, if only cause I had hoped it would be better than 2016.  And while there were some dampers (some panels didn’t really happen and a couple of friends couldn’t attend for several reasons), Katsucon 2017 ended up becoming the sequel I had hoped 2016 would have been.  Unlike last year, I can actually choose 5 moments that belong here on this weeks list of my Top 5 Katsucon 2017 Moments.

 

#5-Game Room Reunion
I always make it a priority to visit the game room on Saturday night.  It can either start the night off right or end it in amazing fashion.  This year it was the former and a big surprise was waiting for me.  Last year, I met a trio of gamers around a curious game called Flash Beat and a nice bond formed between us as we played a few hours straight.  Sure they all kicked my ass but I was never bitter towards them.  They were good people and I was glad to have met them.  So how shocked was I when they were all back around the same game on the same night once again?  While we didn’t hang around the game all night, I did get to hang with them again and secure a victory in Flash Beat, even if I was teamed up with a partner it still counts.  You never know the surprises waiting for you at a convention and this was a very special and very welcome one.

 

#4-Overwatch Photoshoot
  
Katsucon greatly underestimated the number of Overwatch cosplayers by a very long shot.  The Fountain was too small to have cosplayers and photographers as it seemed they rivaled each other in number.  Though some proposed we move it outside (more on the weather in a bit), the MCs of the Photoshoot tried something else.  The cosplayers were all moved behind the fountain and were sent down group by group.  This ended up being smart and actually decently run.  The main problems came with the more popular characters like D.Va, Tracer and Mercy.  D.Va had the largest group by far and it was almost impossible to get a full group shot.  Mercy didn’t have as many but the wing span of her costume meant the same deal.  But im surprised how well the MCs handled the event.  It could have gotten bad but they pulled through, a sign of growth for sure.  It was fun and I dare say it rivaled the amazing Sailor Moon Photoshoot from Katsucon 2015 that I hold so near to my heart.

 

#3-Gundam Panels
 
I didn’t really know of a lot of panels I wanted to attend this year.  I did wander into two of them.  They were both Gundam themed and hosted by the same people: Gundam duo Lauren Orsini and John Bowers.  Both are huge Gundam nerds who put me to shame (and I say that knowing I name my blog after Gundam lol).  Their knowledge of Gundam and Gunpla was amazing and their 37 year retrospect feature was very informative.  Their Char Aznable dedication panel was even better, showing off the greatest hits of the Red Comet, his influence across the Gundam multiverse and his impact on real life as well (RED PRIUS!!!!).  I got a chance to talk a little with both panelists after both panels.  Lauren writes for Anime News Network and I think could provide key insight into me wanted to write Anime reviews professionally.  John and I had a fun chat about Anavel Gato from Gundam 0083 and whether or not he could be considered a Char type.  If it’s one thing I took away from my encounters with these two, it’s that I now have a dream to sit on a Gundam panel with both of them.  Their level of Gundam love is the new squad goal for me…that doesn’t make sense but I stand by it haha.

 

#2-Cosplayers of Legend
 
In 2015, I met MangoSirene and Dejavudea at the same time in a resturaunt in the Gaylord.  It was an event that blew me away and set Katsucon on a pretty high pedestal.  While Dejavudea was sadly not able to attend this year, I was able to meet MangoSirene again, who, bless her heart, still remembers me and my Doctor Who scarf.  Before I could ask her for a photo, I spotted several other cosplayers I knew right next to her.  So instead of asking for a photo from Mango, she was happy to ask the other cosplayers to come together for a nice group pic.  So yeah…I got MangoSirene, Megan Starbuxx, Vikki Kaffei and Shiro Cosplay all in the same pic together…mind blown.  All four are amazing cosplayers, each with their own particular winning looks.  And I made sure to tell them how amazing they all were and thank them for being in such a definitive pic for me.  I also got to meet the incredibly beautiful Bendo Ghek (get her name right too, YES!!!) and get a photo with this legendary Cindy (from Final Fantasy XV cosplayer). This is why I love Katsu, you never know what famous cosplayers will be around or if they’ll ever cross paths in front of you.  I just hope I left a positive impression on all of them.

 

#1-Overall, it was just better
 
 
 
By the time Thursday night was rolling around, I could feel there was a different energy to Katsucon 2017 than Katsucon 2016.  Maybe it was getting there earlier in the day and watching the con come to life.  Maybe it was rooming with good friends from Otakon.  Maybe it was being shocked by how much of an impact Overwatch and Voltron Legendary Defender had on the cosplay community.  Maybe it was meeting all the kick ass professional cosplayers.  You know what, maybe it was a mix of all of that and more.  My expectations were shattered and forgotten as the weekend went by.  This was a convention I enjoyed to the fullest and was never bored, never saddened, never let down in any single way.  Some cons go up and down in quality year after year, Katsu has been no exception.  But this year was a good win and while ill have to temper my expectations if I decide to go back in 2018, nothing can stop this con from being one of the best ive ever been too.

So yes, next week’s Top 5 will be dedicated to just that: my Top 5 Best Conventions I’ve ever attended.  How many Otakon’s will be on there?  Or Katsu?  Or even Baltimore Comic Con maybe?  Idk but you’ll have to check back next week to find out.
Anyone else have some fond memories from Katsucon?  Sound off in the comments below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment