Wednesday, February 8, 2017

T5W#78-Top 5 Anime Cons I’d love to Attend One Day


While I praise the hell out of them for different reasons, contrary to popular belief, Otakon and Katsucon are not the only two Anime Conventions out there.  Conventions happen nationwide every year and they number in the dozens across the US and jump into the hundreds if you go worldwide.  Practically every big city in the US has one or two a year spread over a few months and the destinations are all pretty popular (before, after and during the con).  One of my big dreams is to do a year long tour of a set list of conventions…granted this is a very expensive endeavor and short of winning the lottery it’s a very long shot.  However, with Katsucon seemingly set to be the only con I go to now since I’m on the fence about Otakon’s next life in Washington DC, it wouldn’t hurt to take a look at other conventions and there are a few I’ve always wanted to check out.  So here we go, in the countdown to Katsucon in a couple of weeks, I give you my Top 5 Anime Cons I’d love to Attend One Day

 

#5-Sakura Con
This one, I kind of want to do just for the location alone. I’ve never been as far north as Washington State before and I’ve always wanted to check it out.  Having an Anime Convention in one of it’s most popular cities is an added bonus.  I’ve heard good things about this one and besides that, it was one of the first I heard about in a random ad on TV…I know that’s not much but hey I’d love to travel to it someday and sight see too.

 

#4-Otakon Vegas
A couple of years back, Otakon started this new convention up in order to reach some of it’s West Coast fans who have a hard time making it out to the main event in the summer.  This one takes place at the beginning of the year usually so a fresh year with a fresh con has a draw.  And it’s in the City of Sin of all places.  I can only imagine how you have a con that doesn’t go totally raunchy but apparently this has been pretty successful for still being relatively new.  As a long time Otakon fan, this should be one I check out one day.  I wonder if that phrase about “what happens in vegas” actually rings true…could be a fun Anime in and of itself.

 

#3-Youmacon
This con has been legendary in some of my Anime circles but for me, there’s one chief reason for me to check it out.  Youmacon is where the Abirdged phenomena began.  Here, Team Four Star and LittleKuriboh and others met for the first time and launched the new wave of awesome fan based parodies.  TFS usually plans something special to premiere here since it’s where they all met.  It would be my best chance to actually meet them in person, a life long con dream.  Plus from what ive seen of the location, Youmacon looks kick ass.

 

#2-Anime Weekend Atlanta
AWA hosts itself in one of the biggest and most kick ass hotels in Atlanta (I actually think DragonCon is held here).  That locale is enough to urge me to want to go.  Looking from the upper levels down at the sea of Otaku on the main floor and getting a photo should be on my bucket list.  I also hear it’s one of the biggest Cosplay draws of the year (on the East Coast anyway).  Plus 24 hour programming over a four day event means I’d never get bored, tired definitely but never bored.  Plus I’ve got family down there…so I could say hi to them too.

 

#1-Collosalcon
It’s an Anime Convention at a water park…A FREAKING WATER PARK!!!!  Ok the Water Park is part of the resort but come on.  Look at it.  The idea of checking out all of the cosplay by the pool is freaking great.  And it takes place right before the summer heat really kicks in, so you have a good cure for the heat with cool water and AC infused hotels.  Many of my friends who have been to this one really speak highly of it.  Really though, they had me at Anime Convention plus Water Park.  If I went I’d probably never want to leave.  Did I mention they have an indoor and outdoor resort there?  Hmmmm…maybe I’m more interested in the park than the Anime con…can I be blamed?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment