Wednesday, January 25, 2017

T5W#76-Top 5 Favorite Overwatch Characters

Overwatch, many have called it the Best Game of 2016 and it’s easy to see why.  The gameplay is solid, and highly entertaining and it’s hours of fun.  More than the running and gunning though, Overwatch works because of it’s vast array of amazing characters.  Highly diverse in both ethnicity and abilities, this group of heroes, villains and anti heroes from all over the world are begging for their own spin off games or, and this could work, Anime series.  Just look at how Overwatch is designed and the world it has created, it’s screaming for an Anime adaptation.  With the game being multiplayer only, a show that serves as a prequel or in universe tale isn’t a bad idea (at least it wouldn’t be the strategy guide ladened Ace Attorney).  And since there’s the brand new “Year of the Rooster” event kicking off, I’m letting Overwatch have my page today with this Top 5 being dedicated to my Top 5 Favorite Overwatch Characters.  This list is based on how much I enjoy some but also how much I can kick ass with others in game…and btw those of you who know me and know I like this game, no the #1 is not who you think it is…but she is here.
 
#5-Widowmaker
Sexy is this characters MO…well that and being a skilled assassin.  I don’t really use Widow in battle but she’s always left an impression.  The gorgeous looks, that accent, and her being Tracer’s rival in many of the games cinematic trailers have made her an instant win in the character like department.  Plus, she’s got a pretty tragic backstory as a brainwashed former companion to Overwatch (if not an agent outright, I’m not really sure).  Oh and there’s the teeny bit where before it was confirmed Tracer had a girlfriend, Widow was continuously shipped with her within the community…now that would be a fun relationship to see explored a bit.  Widow is one bad girl who needs her own solo campaign, if only so I could listen to her talk me to sleep with that soothing but deadly voice.
 
#4-Soldier 76
Probably my favorite character to play as, the former leader of Overwatch may claim to be an old man but he’s anything but in my hands.  76 is the starter for many newcomers since, at his core, he’s you’re typical standard FPS model.  He has a pulse rifle with a grenade launcher and is basically a run and gun type.  I can play with him a bit more strategically and have earned several “Play of the Game” nods for being able to mow down a ton of teams with fast shooting, quick reloads and careful use of his special.  If im ever in a bind in a match, I know I can switch up to 76 to get some points back.
 
#3-Reaper
Imagine if Batman and The Punisher had a kid…you’d get this killer Batman/Punisher app.  Duel…you know I don’t even know what kind of guns he has, shotguns that looks like pirate pistols is the best way I can describe them.  A voice that sounds like death itself is sneaking up on you.  Oh and he can teleport and turn intangible for a short period of time.  Reaper was one of the first characters I tried to use when I first played (after Tracer) and he has been a hit with me ever since.  I always try to play with him at least once whenever I hop on.  Plus, get him in the center of a weak fire team and watch him unleash his spray special (especially in slow mow) and you’ll never get tired of that show. 
 
#2-Tracer
Overwatch’s premiere poster girl.  Tracer had me from the moment she was unveiled (and yes before the big controversy of her showing too much booty in her victory pose).  Speedster costume that’s form fitting, check.  Energetic and fun as heck, check.  Accent you cant help but love, check.  Seeing Tracer’s abilities in the Cinematic Trailers was something else and only the most skilled of players can recreate them nicely in game…im not one of them though.  In all honesty, of the few characters I use, Tracer is the one I am the worst with.  I still love her though.  And the cosplays I see of her, wow so many cute girls.  Like the rest of the community, I’m so happy she was revealed to have a girlfriend, Tracer seems the kind of girl who deserves a nice girl who enjoys her upbeat and bright personality…though I wonder if anyone was sad that she wasn’t with D.Va…not that I’m complaining, her current gf, Emily, is really nice too.  Ahem, getting away from things.  Short version: Tracer is awesome and an awesome draw for anyone looking to get into Overwatch and become a hero like she is.  And no, I’ll never get tired of her signature line.  “Cheers love, the cavalry’s here”.
 
#1-Sombra
Kind of a surprise, I’ll admit.  Sombra made an impression on me when she got her own Cinematic Trailer. She turned out to be one of the first characters I ever used during one of the Free Play Weekends before I picked up the game for good.  Even better than her confidence, hacking abilities and colorful costume is the fact that I can actually use her really well in game.  “Everything can be hacked, and everyone,” this Mexican hottie states at the start of match and that is her schtick.  She can hack every player (one at a time but with her super she can grab everyone) to disable shields and special abilities for a short period of time.  Not to mention her sub machine gun is pretty awesome too and more effective than you might think.  She may be the latest addition to the line up, but Sombra, like Widowmaker, might be one I head to the dark side for cause she is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment