Wednesday, December 28, 2016

T5W#72-Top 5 Titles I’m Looking Forward to Reviewing in 2017


In just a few days, the horrific time of history that is 2016 will end and a (much more hopeful I hope) 2017 will begin.  I really enjoyed reviewing most of the titles I covered this year (even went over my Top 5 last week, see here: http://gundamanimeblog.blogspot.com/2016/12/t5w71-top-5-best-titles-ive-reviewed-in.html. But I’m looking forward to next year even more.  I didn’t get to really switch things up with more less action oriented series, like Bamboo Blade (despite the Kendo) and Love Hina (which wasn’t as good as I remembered).  It was a test though and I’m deciding to stick with what I do best and if I come across an unusual series to review (Ouran High School Host Club could always happen), I might add it to the roster.  For now, here are five shows (or movies) I’m committing to review in 2017.  Hope you’re as excited for them as I am.

 

And yes, the image of a Gundam above should be a clear indicator that more classic Gundam is coming in 2017 as well…two titles actually, ill let you guess what they are.

 

#5-Peacemaker Kurogane (Spring 2017)

So I asked around with some of my friends and readers as to which of two Samuari themed Anime I should review this year.  I was kind of surprised Samurai Champloo wasn’t chosen.  But I guess that’s not such a bad thing.  Everyone knows Champloo.  Fewer know about Peacemaker and I’ve been meaning to rewatch this one sometime.  This show is notable for being almost a companion piece to Rurouni Kenshin, or at least they deal with an event set in the same time period.  Peacemaker focuses on Testunosuke Ichimura, a young boy who seeks to join the deadly Shinsengumi unit in order to avenge his parents death.  There’s swordplay, humor, drama, history, something in here for everyone I think.  Look for this one in the Spring of 2017, it might even kick off Year 4 of the Anime Blog (I start years just after the special yearly reviews…which ill actually get to later on this list).

 

#4-Martian Successor Nadesico (January 2017)

The Mecha classic that was Gurren Lagann before Gurren Lagann even existed.  Nadesico has it’s own story and characters but plays more as a parody that overly serious…and that’s not a bad thing.  You’ve got a huge but diverse cast that stands out.  The action is a call back to the glory days of 70s and 80s mecha scifi.  The humor is hit and miss but random and unexpected in a good way, a good tension diffuser.  Plus it also gives us everyone favorite monotone poster child Ruri Hoshino and her infamous “Baka” reaction to pretty much everything.  If anything, watching this series will be worth it just for the get pumped theme song, “YOU GET TO BURNING!!!”  So excited to start 2017 off with this one.

 

#3-Full Metal Panic: The Complete Series  (Full Metal Panic-February 2017, Full Metal Panic Fumofuu-Summer 2017, Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid-Fall 2017)
 
 

While I’ll get to my Summer 2017 project announcement in a moment, this could be the greatest experiment ive undertaken on this blog: three series, all related, all covered at various points of the year.  Full Metal Panic is a franchise most people could get behind.  There’s mecha for the boys, romance for the girls, slice of life for those who love High School antics, military mysteries for those who love Tom Clancy.  The first and third series are a mix of all of these things while Fumofuu is a straight forward comedy.  I’ll spread them out all throughout 2017, reviewing one per season.  Season One will follow Nadesico, maybe a mini feature since id be reviewing the first part of FMP right before Katsucon.  Summer will be Season 2, either in May or just before the big Summer Project.  And Season 3 will be between September and November.  Pretty good spacing right?  Cant wait to see how this plays out.

 

#2-Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (July 2017)
 

As long as Netflix keeps this in it’s cycle, this is happening (Cruchyroll still has it too I think).  Two series, linked by one amazing studio and one flexible narrative.  Having wrapped Fate/Stay Night earlier this week, I’m eager to bring more Fate awesomeness to the blog.  Fate/Zero, which i kind of covered in the Fate/Stay Night Finale, is the epic prequel to the Fate series, focusing on the last Holy Grail War and the precussor generation, including the parents of Shiro and Rin.  Unlimited Blade Works is the second of three routes you can take in the original visual novel and focuses on a new telling Shiro and Rin’s Holy Grail War with a few notable differences (for those curious, the 2006 Fate/Stay Night series covers the Fate route).  Both of these shows are done by Studio Ufotable, which is continuing to take the reigns of the franchise with the upcoming Heaven’s Feel trilogy starting in 2017.  Even if these shows have some flaws, and UBW definitely has more than it’s share, both are absolutely gorgeous pieces of work.  And hey, more Rin on my blog is never a bad thing.  If I do decide to go to Otakon 2017, I’ll plan the release of these reviews accordingly to coincide with my departure.  Hope youre as prepared as I am for this epic undertaking.

 

#1-Ghost in the Shell: The Live Action Movie (March 31, 2017)

All my hopes for every American Live Action adaptation of Anime rest on this movie.  The trailer has my thumbs up.  The visuals look more honorable than defiling.  Scarlet Johansson…yeah she looks good.  My love for Ghost in the Shell is well known on this blog, I think ive reviewed every Anime except the Oshii Movies and yes those are coming in and around this one as well.  Whether the film succeeds or not, I’ve chosen to mark this as the official entry for my third year anniversary review, ending Year 3 of the Anime Corner as Year 4 begins.  This could crash and burn, but could also work on so many levels.  This isn’t just the one title I’m looking forward to reviewing in 2017, this is my most anticipated film of 2017 PERIOD (topping Star Wars Episode VIII and Blade Runner 2049).  Come on America, let’s get just this one thing right next year, ok?

No comments:

Post a Comment