Wednesday, December 14, 2016

T5W#70-Top 5 Most Anticipated Anime Releases of 2017

Well, 2016 is (thankfully) drawing to a close.  Looking ahead, I’m already planning out a couple of shows to review here on the blog.  But I’m also looking at next years fresh releases from Japan.  While I know there will be dozens of brand new shows popping up, I’m actually looking forward to the continuation of some old favorites.  So for this T5W, I’m looking at some of these returning favorites and, let me tell you, this was tough.  This could have been another two part, Top 10 listing.  But I want a couple of open slots to close out 2016 with these Top 5’s.  So, after much deliberation, here are my Top 5 Most Anticipated Anime Releases of 2017

 

#5-Code Geass: Lelouch of the Resurrection
I covered this a couple weeks back (See here: http://gundamanimeblog.blogspot.com/2016/11/t5w68-top-5-reactions-to-code-geass.html) so I wont say much here.  Not much else to say that’s different really: Has Sunrise lost their mind?  How is Lelouch still alive?  How to they plan to top that infamously perfect finale?  High flying success or crash and burn, I’m eager to see what the return of Lelouch brings to the Code Geass saga.

 

#4-Full Metal Panic Season 4
One of the titles I have lined up to review next year is Full Metal Panic, and I intend to do it all (Season 1, Fumofuu and The Second Raid).  One of the reasons I’m gonna attempt this was the announcement of a fourth season.  Full Metal Panic has always been one of those enjoyable anime with something for everyone: Mecha, slice of life, humor, romance, a guy who wants to be the next Solid Snake (looking at you Sousuke).  Not much is known about the plot of Season 4.  However, from the lone image released, it looks like the gangs all back, even that douchebag they introduced in Second Raid who gave Sousuke nothing but grief.  Will we see more mecha action than ever?  What are Sosuke and Kaname up to after the end of Season 3?  Does Mao look damn good in that Waitress outfit?  The answer to that last question is obvious.  I’m hoping for good things from this returning classic, even if it is just spy hijinks on a cruise ship.

 

#3-Fate/Stay Night: Heaven’s Feel
Despite some of it’s flaws, Fate Stay Night has become one of my new favorite Anime franchises.  Right now, I’m covering the 2006 series from Studio Deen to close out the year and I have added Fate/Zero and Unlimited Blade Works to the list of possible titles to cover in 2017 on the blog.  The third of the three potential routes of the story, Heaven’s Feel, will finally see the light of day in 2017.  Instead of a TV series, a la Unlimited Blade Works, it will be released as a film trilogy.  This, I think is a smart move for a couple of reasons…but I’ll cover that at a later date.  It should also be noted that Anime power house, Studio Ufotable, will be taking the reins of this one.  Even if the story is iffy, these are the guys who animated Zero and UBW and those are two of the finest looking Anime I have ever seen.  I’m also looking forward to seeing Sakura’s side of the story, as I feel she’s one of the more neglected characters (especially in the 2006 series).  The whole concept of “What if?” is a fascinating one with the Fate series and I’m glad that, soon, all three routes will be available to be seen in Anime form.

 

#2-Dragon Ball Super: The English Dub
This should have happened well before now.  When Dragon Ball Super was announced, we all knew Funimation was going to get it’s hands on it for release in the States.  But when was the dub coming?  I guess because DBS is more spaced out, it cant be simul-dubbed, that would just be too hectic for the cast.  Still, the long awaited English Dub of the brand new Dragon Ball series starts on Toonami in January 2017. So much is poised for greatness here.  I already mentioned Funimation, the American Shepherds of Dragon Ball since it came to the US.  Plus, Dragon Ball has been a Toonami staple series since forever and it pretty much it’s flagship show.  On top of that, most of the Funimation Dub cast will return, including Sean Schemmel (Goku), Kyle Hebert (Gohan) and Christopher Sabat (Vegeta and Piccolo).  I know we’ve had new Dragon Ball material in the US in recent years thanks to Battle of Gods, Resurrection F and DBZ Kai.  But this is the real new stuff, the first new Dragon Ball TV series in almost two decades.  And it is set to make a huge wave here in the US.  After all, Dragon Ball was a huge hit in Japan but it’s massive success in America lead to it being one of the main shows most people associate with Anime.  Fans have wished for this for a long time.  And the Eternal Dragon Shenron is about to grant their wish.

 

#1-FLCL Season 2&3
I am absolutely terrified of this one.  The original Fooly Cooly is my favorite Anime of all time.  It’s not for everyone but it is the one for me, the one I will say has a ton of plot holes and confusion but is still flawless and perfect.  I don’t think it needs a continuation (Kind of like Code Geass).  But we’re getting one anyway.  And it’s not just one new season of six episodes, it’s two of them.  The last time Adult Swim partnered with a Japanese Studio to continue a work best left untouched…we got The Big O II.  There’s plenty of cause for concern.  But much like Code Geass, curiosity will get the better of me.  Will it be just as wild and wacky as the original?  What about Naota?  The sequel is set to take place in a new town with a new female lead years after the first season.   So what about the original cast, even though Haruko is confirmed to return.  And, probably the most important…will The Pillows return to do the score?  Even if the Anime does suck, additional tunes from this J Rock band will always be remembered.  I’m bracing for this with great fear and a twinge of hope that the legacy of Haruko Haruhara and her Rickenbaker guitar will not be tarnished.

No comments:

Post a Comment