Wednesday, December 21, 2016

T5W#71-Top 5 Best Titles Ive Reviewed in 2016


In two weeks, 2016 will be over and thankfully that’s a very good thing.  As crummy a year as it has been, I cant overlook some of the good that has come out of it.  Personal family moments, the final Otakon in Baltimore, and a very healthy year for this blog.  I’ve been writing for three years now (two of them on this blog so im still counting this as Year 3).  This year though, I feel like ive done far more than I have ever imagined in terms of reviews.  The title list was through the roof, so it was hard picking five titles that should go on this end of the year, “Best Of” list.  But here are the five I settled on.  I’ll include links of each review (or the start if they’re a series) with each entry.

 

#5-Shin Godzilla
Getting to see fresh Godzilla from Japan was a great experience.  The crowd was energetic, the movie was as epic as any classic Godzilla flick…and we didn’t have to wait an eternity to see it (only like five months).  It was a far cry better than the 2014 American film and I hope that when Godzilla: King of the Monsters drops in 2019 (I think), it will learn a lesson or two from the land of the rising sun as to how to make a Godzilla film better in the United States.  Hats off especially to Hideki Anno.  The man behind Neon Genesis Evangelion was a pitch perfect directors choice alongside Shinji Higuchi.  He was born for this.  Let’s just hope this isn’t the last time these two titans of destruction cross paths


Shin Godzilla Review


 

#4-RWBY Vol.3
I literally sat on a bench at work, trembling with rage as I watched the final minutes of RWBY Vol.3.  Did all of that really just happen?  How could Rooster Teeth leave Team RWBY in such a shattered state?  How the hell would they rebound after such a tragedy?  I was pissed…but at the same time, I couldn’t ignore just how great of a season Vol.3 had been.  It brought the feels and the crucible for Team RWBY and their allies and that’s exactly what I had wanted from Vol.1 and Vol.2.  The action was better than ever, the soundtrack continued to impress.  But Vol.3 will be forever remembered as the year that two years of build up finally bore fruit…whether we liked the outcome or not.

 
RWBY Vol.3 Review


 

#3-Code Geass
What an undertaking.  In the wake of Summer 2015’s successful coverage of Mobile Suit Gundam 00, I knew Code Geass had to be my next attempt at covering a 50 some odd episode series in a few weeks.  Whew.  So much to reminisce: the awesomeness of Lelouch and most of Season 1, the total ball drop of the first three quarters of Season 2 (with a few good beats here and there), the epic finales of BOTH seasons.  If I had known then that a THIRD SEASON was on the horizon, I probably would have hyped up the series finale even more (though guess it’s not the series finale anymore).  Ups and downs aside, Code Geass is still awesome and I’m glad I finally got to cover it.  Hoping I can get the Blu Rays and enjoy it in HD soon.


Code Geass: Season 1 Review Starts Here



Code Geass Season 2 Review Starts Here


 

#2-The Dragon Ball Z Movie Marathon
The lack of Dragon Ball Z on my blog is kind of a crime.  Well I remedied that big time this past spring.  When I got all 15 DBZ movies, I knew what had to be done.  And yes, I did watch them all leading up to their reviews.  So many fond memories of the earlier films, so much rage at the later films, the ehhh reaction to Battle of Gods and the “F*** YEAH” reaction to Resurrection F.  Dragon Ball Z is forever cemented in my corner of the Anime world and while I may not be into it like the old days, I still love it dearly.  It’s one of my top three Anime franchises along with Gundam and Ghost in the Shell.  Hoping to maybe do a little more with Dragon Ball later down the line.  I do have all 4 Dragon Ball movies lying around plus the two DBZ Specials (Bardock: The Father of Goku and The History of Trunks).  If I didn’t have Nadesico set and planned for January, I might’ve just given it to those flicks.  Just another thing to consider for 2017.

 
Dragon Ball Z: ROCK THE DRAGON Marathon Starts Here:


 
 
#1-Free
I love this Anime…just fraking accept it.  I have and I’m not sorry.  Looking past all the service for the female fans, this is a beautiful show with a story and actually tugged at me.  Free and Free Eternal Summer became my feel good Anime of 2016, a year when I was in desperate need to titles like this (and Gurren Lagann, which would have made this list if it was a full review and not a First Impression).  I think I’ve said a lot about this one, so ill let the review say the rest.  This is my top Anime Guilty pleasure…sorry, not sorry.


Free: Season 1 Review


 
Free: Season 2 Review


 
That was 2016’s best right there.  Be sure to check back next week for the last Top 5 Wednesday of 2016 for a look at what’s coming in 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment