Wednesday, October 26, 2016

T5W#63-Top 5 Otakon 2016 Anime Cosplays


(I love this pic from 2011 btw.  That kid in the back pulled that blanket up so quickly it was adorable)
 
Having been able to go to conventions for the last seven years, ive seen hundreds of amazing cosplayers who have made a combination of thousands of costumes.  They bring characters to life on a regular basis, so much so it pretty much feels like Halloween all year round.  So while thinking of a good Top 5 Topic, to conincide with Halloween next week, I decided to revisit Otakon 2016 and pick my 5 Favorite Anime Cosplays.  As the title suggests, these are cosplays exclusive to the Anime category (so no DC, Marvel or Video Games this time around though I could do another list on those later).  Anyway, onto some of the best cosplay ive seen since I started going to Otakon 2010, and in the final year of it’s time in Baltimore it definitely saved the best for last.

 

#5-Sakura Kinamoto (Cardcaptor Sakura)
As a favor for a good friend, I always try to keep an eye out for any Sakura cosplayers out there.  Cardcaptor Sakura is an older Anime but a gateway title for many fans (most of whom first saw it as Cardcaptors on Kids WB…if you can remember that).  Sakura’s got a closet full of costumes, it’s actually kind of strange she actually has an official look when she has so many.  This one looks like a Dragon Ball Z Saiyan Armor variant (especially with the shoulder pads).  It could even be an “Ultimate Battle” look.  Either way, it rocked and my friend was overjoyed to see it when I showed her the pic as well.

 

#4-Rory (Gate)

A good friend got me into Gate not long after it came out and Rory is probably my second most favorite character next to Itami.  I mean, she’s a gothic Lolita death God and she’s not shy about how she looks, acts or generally goes about daily activities being naughty, devious and bad ass.  Gate is still really recent but I know it’s got a pretty decent following.  Seeing as how I only get out to one or two conventions a year, I don’t know how widespread the cosplay for Gate is (or if characters like Tuka and Leilei are more popular choices…but Rory is Lolita so she probably tops them).  I think I spotted a couple of Rory’s at Otakon but this one was my fav.

 

#3-Motoko Kusinagi (Ghost in the Shell Arise)
Those of you who have read my Ghost in the Shell: Arise reviews know that this iteration of Motoko is my favorite so far.  She’s got a bit more depth and she’s a younger version, so a bit inexperienced and flawed.  And her outfit is very much what a bad ass cyborgs should be (besides the all black commando body suit).  It kind of reminds me a bit of Akira (fitting since she does ride a kick ass motorcycle).  Sadly, I don’t think ive seen this version cosplayed as much as her Stand Alone Complex iteration.  I had to stop for a photo of this cosplayer the second I spotted it and I think she was happy at least one person recognized her.

 

#2-Ryo-Ohki (Tenchi Muyo)
Was I imagining things when I saw this when I saw it from one floor above?  I could have been since I spotted this one right before I left the con on Sunday.  Thankfully, I was fully sane and so happy I actually got to see a Ryo Ohki Cosplay.  It even had the carrot and everything.  IT WAS SO FLUFFY!!!  Never since the official back pack plushie have I seen Ryo Ohki done so much justice in design. It was one last happy gift from Otakon to me to see such a rare cosplay done right.

 

#1-Sailor Venus (Sailor Moon)
Ive seen dozens of Senshi since I started going to Otakon and Katsucon.  So why does this particular Venus stand out?  Honestly, it’s the glasses.  True she could have rocked the cosplay without them but somehow they added an extra charm to the overall look and made it pretty unique.  She made them work and I almost want there to be an official Venus with Glasses variant out there in the cannon.  Not to mention, the cosplayer looked so empowered and energized by her work that it was no wonder she was pretty much leading the Sailor Moon Shoot on a VERY hot day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment