Friday, September 18, 2026

FIF#263-Jaadugar: A Witch in Mongolia

Young slave Sitara was welcomed into a home of learning, acceptance and love.  But when the Mongolian Empire came, they tore down her home, her family and her future.  Sitara survives and now finds herself serving in the heart of the Empire that took everything from her.  But Sitara isn’t an ordinary girl.  She has a knack for learning and might just be able to study her enemies close enough to be their ultimate downfall.  It will take time but Sitara isnt about to let the lessons imparted to her go to waste.
 
Today’s FIF comes as a recommendation from a friend and I’ll be honest, I’m surprised this one isn’t getting a lot of buzz this season.  This is the first of two Anime that are set in a very not Japan region of the world we’ll be looking at over the next couple of weeks and really, I wish more Anime were taking advantage of that.  Jaadugar not only looks to have a very compelling story to tell but it also shown off in one of the most beautiful artstyles I’ve ever seen, proving that Science Saru is not a studio to ever be underestimated. 
 
While I did scratch my head over Clevatees having an extended 45min intro episode a couple weeks back, I definitely think Jaadugar’s first two episode should have been merged into one, if only to get the absolute heartbreak of Episode 2 over and done in one fell swoop.  Sitara origin is equal parts beautiful and devastating as we see her accepted into an actual loving family only to have them senselessly ripped away on the orders of some punk who thinks he owns the world cause he’s Genghis Kahn’s offspring (news flash buddy, that’s not a very exclusive club).  You feel the joy of Satira growing to love learning and feel levels of rage so intense for her loss that you want to exact Jack Reacher levels of divine punishment on anyone involved in doing the deed (yeah probably not a smart idea to watch these after watching Reacher.  All you can think about is payback).  It’ll make going forward all the more compelling and exciting to see how Sitara gets her eventual revenge.
 
So is Studio Saru looking to aim for the heights of Studio Trigger or MAPPA in terms of creativity and production output?  This is the second title of 2026 I’ve learned they’ve been working on.  And after successfully translating Shirow Masamune’s original vision of Ghost in the Shell to Anime form, I’m surprised they not only have lots of gas left in the tank but they’ve produced something as visually different from not just GitS but any Anime on the scene right now.  It’s hard for me to describe just how amazing Jaadugar looks.  It reflects the art and history of the region and time period it’s centered in while still having those Anime flourishes.  The character designs are also charming and loveable, especially Sitara, man you wanna hug and protect her and Fatima, her guardian, wow what a beauty.  It shows that Anime isn’t afraid to reach out beyond its usual animation tropes and try it’s hand at looking more worldly and region accurate at the same time, it’s beautiful stuff.
 
Between breathtaking animation and a story that punches you right in the gut and dares you to get up and see the unjust punished, Jaadugar: A Witch in Mongolia is one I’m definitely going to continue checking out.  I want Sitara to find her justice and do so in a way that no one will see coming.  She may not be a “Witch” in the mystical sense.  But I get the feeling her little mind is gonna eat an empire alive once she learns how things work around it.  Also, I’ll make sure to bring tissues and maybe watch Reacher afterwards, need to keep those emotions in check.

No comments:

Post a Comment