The assassination of a prominent world leader brings her
daughter and heir to Japan, where she’ll unknowingly cross paths with two
iconic figures. One is the greatest thief
in the world. The other is a genius
detective trapped in the form of a child.
Normally they’d be at odds with each other but if this Princess is to
survive another attempt on her life, can Lupin the Third and Detective Conan
put aside their differences long enough to save the day?
The Gentlemen Thief and the Teen Detective stuck in the
body of a child and refuses to get unstuck for whatever reason.
On paper matching these two up is pretty
interesting.
Conan’s a genius
investigator and Lupin is the genius thief who’s skill and wit can help him out
of any situation. It’s quite the match and thanks to a short snippet I checked
out at Otakon a few weeks back, I can say it might just work better than I
thought, especially coming from a guy who hasn’t been super big into either of
these characters or their franchises.
The twenty or so minutes of this crossover event I caught
at Otakon showcased a lot of what fans love about both Lupin and Conan’s
adventures from the fun mystery to the high stakes heists that never go
according to plan.
The segment I saw was
very action heavy featuring Conan using his rocket powered skateboard to chase
after femme fatale Fujiko Mine and her James Bond gadget laden bike.
I never thought this was a chase scene I
wanted but man was I not only invested, I was having fun despite the absurdity
of it all.
I never realized Conan was
such a daredevil cause he really pushed the limits of everything just to keep
up with Fujiko.
This was a great scene
that proved the potential power of bringing these two worlds together.
The Lupin side of things was pretty funny
too.
Sure Lupin gets to put his thieving
genius to work but it’s the escape that dialed up the laughs and the
explosions, especially since Jigen happened to make things worse.
While this wasn’t the very beginning of the special, it
was still early on with no signs of the two main stars looking to cross paths
just yet.
Even so, for a guy who is only
slightly familiar with both Lupin and Conan (I’ve seen more Lupin on Adult Swim
plus Castle of Cagliostro so I’m more up on the Lupin side of things), I was
able to follow what was being set up pretty well.
Ran’s princess switch escapades, a villainous
plot that could lead to a coup d’etat for a far off nation.
And, of course, once Lupin’s name get thrown
into the mix you’d better believe Inspector Zenigata isnt far behind, now being
paired up with Ran’s Dad, Kogoro, for the hunt to bring him down.
Things merged together quite well I think, at
least for a casual newbie like myself.
I’ll just say it, I was so impressed with what I saw of
Lupin the Third vs. Detective Conan that I did something I haven’t done in ages
at a convention: I went right down to the Dealers Room and got a copy (making
sure I was getting the right one in the process).
This was only a small snippet of what the
special probably has to offer and, naturally, there’s the main event of having
Lupin and Conan either square off or team up (both could easily happen in a
Versus Movie).
Could this even get into
more of either franchise?
That’s a
mystery that might be worth investigating.

No comments:
Post a Comment